Author Topic: Anyone miss me?  (Read 13390 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Anyone miss me?
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:55:50 pm »
I hope I'm not presuming too much by asking this, but I know I've been somewhat absent the past few days, so if anyone was wondering why (and it pleases me to think that my presence was sorely missed ;) ) here's the reason.

Well, things changed at work, for the better in some ways. Since there's not enough work for two people at my previous post (that is, repairing printers, faxes and computers for the goverment of Quebec), I'm now doing printer service calls on the road instead. That means that I can no longer just get online and surf the web in between repair jobs, and as for getting online during lunch hours, well for one my computer is still in my old workshop, and second, the people in the main office are a lot more sociable and pleasant to talk to than my old co-worker. I don't need the web to fill the lonely and silent lunch hours (I swear, my old co-worked is one of the least sociable guy I've worked with. Not exactly unpleasant, but when he doesn't feel like talking, which happens often, he'll answer questions in a concise manner and then turn back to his computer. Not exactly someone who's fun to talk and interact with, and I won't miss him for sure).

I'm still mapping thank you very much, Bloodlines to be precise. Fusion is still taking a break, on account of pissing me off by having rooms where the layer separation for water and transparencies made a lot of my previous work obsolete (again, grr!). Anyway, it's going well, even though I'm only mapping about a single section a night. JonLeung, expect to get maps for the whole game in about 1 week, 2 weeks top.

Anyway, so that's it. Also, I'm kinda drunk on Amarula, so I might not be making a lot of sense :toast:. That probably includes more grammar and spelling mistakes than usual, so you've been warned Revned ;).

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
RE: Anyone miss me?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:50:25 pm »
Well, its been quiet around here the past couple of days. I've been trying to think of intelligent subjects to post here and discuss, but I haven't come up with much.

And I think we are pretty much a like minded group. I'd post stuff about politics, but most of you all could really care less about our bumbling President, and I don't know much about what's happening in the Great North.

Nothing exciting is happening in my world. Its hard to believe that my youngest daughter is 3 1/2 months old now. My oldest will be 2 before I know it (September). Time is flying by.

Terra, have fun at work. I'm sure its a good change of pace to get out of the office. I used to be stuck in a repair shop fixing computers and printers. Now I'm stuck in front of a computer writing code and going blind lining pixels up in Photoshop.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:02:51 pm »
Hey, congrats on the family. It might be a little late (okay, *very* late) but it's always nice to see that a fellow gamer actually has a healthy family life (or at least, I hope so).

I too have been trying to come up with interesting subjects lately, but haven't come up with anything yet. I hope to do a repost of my "Favourite Game Soundtrack" from the previous board, but hopefully with links to the soundtracks in question. It's nice to recommend something you like, but it's better when you get other people to experience it too.

As for politics, I'm not that eager to discuss it here. It just tends to divide people too much, even when debated with the best of intentions.

And yeah, it's nice to change my daily routine. I use to work as a programmer a few years ago, and althought that's what I mostly studied in, I don't miss it. Staying in front of a screen for days on end just isn't for me. Although I still have some self-esteem issues and thus being confidant in front of total strangers is still hard, I really prefer my current job where I meet lots of different people every day and can talk with them and be their personal hero by fixing whatever problems their equipment has :). What's nice about  my job is that we do most of our repairs on site, we mostly avoid the whole "window-less workshop of doom" thing. And like I said, I'm not working from the main office instead of a satellite one, and everyone there is great and get along fine with me. It's a welcomed change of pace.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 07:50:07 am »
I find myself spending time on other boards...oh, the blasphemy!  I'm sure bustin98 sees me on the Planet GameCube boards.

I should consider bringing some of the topics over here (the topic about FMVs in games didn't go so well) but unfortunately I get the vibe that the few people here aren't as excited about the next-gen console war as much as I am.

Come on, think about it...when the Wii's Virtual Console is up and running with a decent selection, (legal) emulation of old games will be mainstream (more so than Xbox Live Arcade, I'll wager) and since VGMaps.com's most popular sections are the Nintendo sections, perhaps VGMaps.com itself will get a few more hits...  :)

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 11:02:29 am »
Well, I'm not really in the mapping mood lately and if I wanted to get back into it, I couldn't. As I explained to you on AIM, I can't take screenshots of anything anymore. Hopefully that lazy programmer will get off his high horse and actually read my email, but I doubt it will happen soon. So, since I'm not mapping lately, I haven't spent as much time here. Ugh, I've been off of school for almost an entire month now, and I haven't done anything worthwhile.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 12:47:04 pm »
Well, as long as people don't give up on this place, I don't see a problem with spending time elsewhere for a change. God knows I haven't had much time to waste on my PC lately.

And JonLeung, I'm about the last person to be expected to follow the market. The only system I ever had while it was new was the NES. For everything else, including most PC games, I've always been 2 to 3 years behind everyone. And although the Wii sounds great in theory, I just can't help being sceptical since it looks too good to be true. I've long given up on entertainment companies making products that really satisfy me in any way.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 12:48:28 pm »
The progress on my map projects is also slow as hell. Between a few-days-phase of mapping there sometimes is up to a month (or more) of pausing because of other things that have to be done.

I plan to finish Lion King but the current stage doesn't help on getting forward as I have to take at least four screenshots just to get one usable screen on the resulting map because of the same colour in the foreground/background (turning off the background layer results in a complete black ground - that would make it impossible to seperate foreground & background) and the only option I have is to move a bit every time so that the foreground is distinguishable somehow.

But I don't think that I will completely abandon mapping soon because I like the challenge and the possibility to add something personal to a favourite game of mine.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 04:16:33 pm »
I wonder if I will ever map again anytime soon.

I did do a bit in the Atlas Projects, so maybe a new project is what some of us need for the motivational aspect at least.

I need to get used to GIMP, too, or at least a much later version of Paint Shop Pro, since I know now that Paint Shop Pro 3, which I've been using forever, has been @$%!ing up my palettes.  It likes to shift pasted images by as much as 8 RGB values.  While some games like Super Mario Bros. 3 have (at least) consistent palettes (whether or not they're actually correct) because of the use of a palette file, I'm afraid many of my past maps may have slight colour anomalies and I'm afraid of touching Kirby: Super Star since that's a Super NES game which will undoubtedly have more subtle colours which could get screwed up by Paint Shop Pro 3.  But I don't like Paint Shop Pro 7's "select rectangular area" tool because it always seems off by a pixel. >_<  Looks like GIMPing is the way to go.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 09:39:39 pm »
I wonder if I will ever map again anytime soon.

Why wouldn't you?

And yes, I finally got around to making an account here, still figuring stuff out here. :)

---

Creator of over 350 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!