Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. Special (Sharp X1)  (Read 38099 times)

Offline Wario Bros

Super Mario Bros. Special (Sharp X1)
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:27:07 pm »
That's right, I'm doing the Super Mario Bros. game that almost nobody knows about: "Super Mario Bros. Special" for the Sharp X1.  It's a game made by Hudson Soft sometime between SMB1 and SMB: The Lost Levels.  It has 32 completely original levels, enemies from Donkey Kong arcade and Mario Bros. arcade, plus the DK Hammer and 4 exclusive items.  Anywho, here is the first level:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8340/smbspecial11x.png

This is the only one I've done now, so right now I'm 3.1% finished.  The game is also on a console called the NEC PC-8801, but there is a good reason I'm choosing the Sharp X1 version (note that the NES style is FAN MADE!  NOT RIPPED!):

Wish me luck guys!  :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:29:22 pm by Wario Bros »

Offline Wario Bros

Re: Super Mario Bros. Special (Sharp X1)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:32 am »
Update:
World 1
is Done

World 1-1
World 1-2
World 1-3
World 1-4

I'd like to thank Karatorian from ROMHacking.net for helping me make sure I'm getting this maps ripped the best as possible.  Please note I've done some major changes to World 1-1 from the 1st post since I'm getting a little help to rip these.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:34:58 pm »
Very good and consistent maps so far! However, if I may offer a bit of criticism, the graphics used to depict the 10 coins blocks as well as the mushroom/fire flower blocks are difficult to make out.

For the coins, the color of the font use for the "10" makes it difficult to separate the number from the coin graphic. As for the mushroom/fire flower, again the limited palette makes them blend with the block itself so it's hard to understand what it represents at first. Limiting yourself to the game's palette makes it difficult to improve things, but adding a black outline around the "10" and the mushroom/fire flower might make it easier to tell them apart from the background.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:27:21 pm »
Very good and consistent maps so far! However, if I may offer a bit of criticism, the graphics used to depict the 10 coins blocks as well as the mushroom/fire flower blocks are difficult to make out.

For the coins, the color of the font use for the "10" makes it difficult to separate the number from the coin graphic. As for the mushroom/fire flower, again the limited palette makes them blend with the block itself so it's hard to understand what it represents at first. Limiting yourself to the game's palette makes it difficult to improve things, but adding a black outline around the "10" and the mushroom/fire flower might make it easier to tell them apart from the background.

Thanks for the tip.  I've just tested the "give 10 an outline" and it looks much better.  Testing the same thing on the Mushroom/Flower looks okay so I'll try to find a good way so it's pleasing to the eyes.  I'll just break the palette rule to get the power-ups look better (after all, this game only has 8 total colors verses around 20 for the NES version)

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:27:38 pm »
I was planning to update every finished World but I changed my mind to upload whenever I finish one.  Here is Level 1 of World 2:

World 2-1

I'm trying a new approach on the Mushroom/Flower in ? Block so the Mushroom is more visible.  Tell me what you think of that change (look at the previous maps to compare)

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:04:25 pm »
Update:
World 2
is Through

World 2-1
World 2-2
World 2-3
World 2-4

Please note that almost all World 1 maps have been edited to be more accurate since the time I've uploaded them here.  There is a chance that I won't reupload the maps with those changes in this topic until I submit them to the main site with all 32 finished.  But that might change.

And for a heads up, World 3 will start having enemies and items exclusive to this game.

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:12:32 pm »
Update: World 3 is finished!  I'll make this my early birthday gift to me (I'll be 20 this Thursday)

World 3-1
World 3-2
World 3-3
World 3-4

Man, this game has some very interesting level designs.  As you can tell, the barrel, Wing, and Hammer has made their debut in this World.  You'll see more new stuff in World 4.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:56:33 pm »
Quite interesting indeed. I'd like to see some of these levels done with the NES palette or even SMAS tiles. :D (Something for me to keep in mind when I find myself with nothing to do.)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 07:08:22 pm »
Quite interesting indeed. I'd like to see some of these levels done with the NES palette or even SMAS tiles. :D (Something for me to keep in mind when I find myself with nothing to do.)

Thanx!  Glad you like them.  And I agree that it would indeed be nice to see them in NES or All-Stars design.  So if you do want to do revamp these maps, you have my full permission to do so. :P  (I could see those being more useful then this Sharp X1 version)

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »
Update: World 4 is completed!  I like how Hudson Soft broke the fourth wall twice in this world.  :D

World 4-1
World 4-2
World 4-3
World 4-4

World 4-2 is the first time I ran across a problem: there is a warp pipe that take you nowhere so you are then stuck (my theory why is because Hudson Soft could've planned to add Warp Zones in the game, but the scrapped it and forget to take it out.  I also PM'd someone who might know the true answer to this.  He has not replied yet)  Not to mention, in World 4-3, a very vital platform that's needed to beat the level won't appear unless you break a platform scale before the problem (possibly due to the Sharp X1's doesn't have the same power as an NES.)  It took me awhile to figure that out.

But dang, I'm now halfway through this now. 

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:55:05 pm »
Another update: World 5 is now ripped!

World 5-1
World 5-2
World 5-3
World 5-4

This is the first world to include Fighter Flies, LONG firebars, upside-down Piranha Plants, Sky Bloopers (yes, BEFORE SMB: The Lost Levels came out!) and warp pipes that actually take you BACKWARDS of the level.  And on World 5-4, you might noticed some firebars not in the center of the block.  That is not my mistake but they are actually like this in the game (and I'm ripping the maps as I see them)

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 04:23:12 pm »
Update: Here's World 6:

World 6-1
World 6-2
World 6-3
World 6-4

Don't really got anything to say except World 6-2 has quite a interesting design.  Man, can't believe how close I am to being done.

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 01:09:18 pm »
Okay guys, here's World 7:

World 7-1
World 7-2
World 7-3
World 7-4

I had to add arrows on the warp pipes on World 7-4 due to how complicated the level is.  And yes, that one Piranha Plant is supposed to be off center of that pipe.

I'm up to the final four, people!  Please note that I will not upload World 8 here on the boards.  But you get to see that final World once I submit the final production to JonLeung on the main site.  So if there is anything I could do to improve this, you better tell me soon.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:58:44 pm »
I can't really think of any way to improve these, but they sure make me want to play these levels :)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »
I can't really think of any way to improve these, but they sure make me want to play these levels :)

Thanks for being honest.  And you (or anyone) wanting to play these levels was main reason why I'm ripping and submitting these ;) : I'm hoping putting maps of a very little known Mario title onto a big name site will increase the popularity and recognition of this gem.  Well anywho, I just submitted my maps to JonLeung to be approved and added.  I'm glad I'm finally done!