Author Topic: Super Mario World (NES Pirate) Overworld Map  (Read 36847 times)

Offline Wario Bros

Super Mario World (NES Pirate) Overworld Map
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:48:59 pm »
I ripped this two years ago where I tried to submit it to MFGG (it got "half-declined," btw.)  I don't want this to completely go to waste so I'm showing it here.  Don't expect this to be submitted to VGMap's main site because I know Jon doesn't accept pirated game.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2380/nessmwmapwj0.png

Fact: There are two know version of this pirate: one that stops at the 4th fortress and one that plays the whole game. (guess which one I ripped, lol)  Surprisingly, the full version is harder to find than the incomplete version.  So what do ya think of the map?

Offline ummwat

Re: Super Mario World (NES Pirate) Overworld Map
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:25:34 am »
Nice, I've been looking for this all over the internet.

Advance Wars (GBA) - 10%

Cave Story (PC/Mac/WiiWare) - COMPLETE 80%

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:00:49 am »
Thanks a lot for this. I remember playing the incomplete version because I couldn't find the complete one and I was dying to see how close the map was to the SNES one.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Dennis Nedry

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:00:07 pm »
Sorry to bring back an old topic, but this seems to be the only map available of the Super Mario World NES Pirate game by Hummer Team of Taiwan.  This forum post comes up when you search with Google.

I beg to differ that the OP "ripped" this map from the game.  In fact the person must have traveled around the map, taking lots of snapshots, and stitching them together, as evidenced by the presence of Mario's feet on the world 5 ghost house, the wrong color shrub on the world 6 castle where Mario must have been edited out, and pieces of the black status bar along the bottom of the map.  It's completely valid to construct a map this way, but rather uncool to claim that they "ripped" it from the ROM when in fact they did not.

Also, the "Blank Space" is not blank!  There is map down there in the ROM.  I have attached a more accurate map that I also constructed from snapshots stitched together, except I did it by manipulating RAM address 0x37F to travel off of the path between levels.  The map loops in 1024x240 pixel sections from bottom to top as you keep scrolling right.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~bold0070/projects/smw_hack_extract/smw_map_complete.gif

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:51:56 pm »
Good job! It's nice to see everything without any of the landmasses being partially cut, as well as know where the "warp zone" island is actually located :).
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:20:28 pm »
I beg to differ that the OP "ripped" this map from the game.  In fact the person must have traveled around the map, taking lots of snapshots, and stitching them together...

It's completely valid to construct a map this way, but rather uncool to claim that they "ripped" it from the ROM when in fact they did not.

I don't think that was Wario Bros's intention.  The usage of the term "ripped", as it appears on most maps here, means using the in-game graphics, whether they are obtained by stitching screenshots, or by extracting more directly from data.  In any case where screenshot-stitched map is put together without error, that it looks exactly the same as if it were actually extracted, there's no point to distinguish the two.

But I bring this up because I have been thinking about changing the terminology here.  "Ripped" is not a good word when talking about maps, in layman's terms a "ripped map" is clearly talking about a damaged paper map.  Obviously that's not the case here.  But also, though a minority, we do have a number of maps done by hand, mostly without the game's graphics, which are called "original".  They're original in the sense that they are put together mostly separate from the source...but the "original" in-game graphics aren't used.  So confusion may easily happen - one could just as easily call the ripped maps "original", since they are very much from the original source, the game itself.

Should I rename the terms in that column?  What should I change them to?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:54:50 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:33 pm »
I always used the term "Raw" since I was referring to unmodified images.  In photography that's one type of format and it's what you call you images that have yet to be touched up.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:53:06 pm »
I've thought about how problematic the terminology used on the site is, but I was never able to come up with alternatives. I would definitely replace "Original" though, but with what? "Hand-Drawn" or "Custom" perhaps?
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)