Author Topic: 3D Modeling Question...  (Read 10043 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

3D Modeling Question...
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »
Okay, I'm not going to say much about why I need this but trust me, it's for a good cause (eventually).

Let's just say that I needed to rip a simple 3D model and after hours of trying with various capture software, all I managed to obtain is an OBJ file containing all the vertices of the model and nothing else. No polygons at all. As for the textures, I managed to get them in the form of three 128 x 128 pixels images and thanks to screenshots, I should mostly be able to figure out where they belong.

The problem is that I haven't found any program allowing me to manipulate the vertices to recreate the original polygons. All the viewers so far as well as Cinema 4D don't display anything at all. If I could at least *see* the damn vertices I could then link them to recreate the models. I'd have to learn how to do all these things, true, but it beats the alternative which I've been doing since yesterday, namely editing the OBJ file by hand, creating temporary polygons from vertices and viewing the result in Quick 3D Viewer to determine which one goes where and *then* using that to create the real polygons.

Total number of polygons reassembled so far: 30 (in 4 hours).

There *has* to be a better alternative...  :'(
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: 3D Modeling Question...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:19:52 pm »
Yikes. With something like that, you'd be better off figuring how to extract the models from the game itself. What game/system is it for? Unless it's Dreamcast, there's probably some kind of extractor out there.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »
Now I'm going to look *really* stupid... I had tried every tutorial I could find on ripping 3D models on the DS, including Tahaxan to unpack the rom and look for nsbmd files which could then be viewed with nsbmd.exe. I found seven such files, and I tried viewing the first two but nothing showed up. I stupidly told myself "it's not worth trying the other five, they won't work either...". Guess what I just did that worked? Yeah, I found the model I needed and although there are a few textures missing, it's at least much less work for me to do...

Why do I always do that and never thoroughly check everything? In any case, thanks for the helpful intention anyway Peardian :)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:59:58 pm »
Ah, the DS? Glad you found them. What game is it for out of curiosity?

If you want to keep it secret for now, I understand. Just seeing if the model would be of interest to me. ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:00:45 pm by Peardian »
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:31:18 pm »
I'm taking to PM. I just don't want to raise any hope in case this doesn't work the way I want to  :-X
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)