Author Topic: Kickstarter - Commodore 64: a visual Commpendium by Bitmap Books  (Read 11019 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator

Sam Dyer, of Bitmap Books, brought this Kickstarter campaign to my attention last month, and it has launched today!  It's an impressive book, a feast for the eyes for those who appreciate oldschool computer gaming!  Be sure to check it out!

Additionally, this is of particular interest as it features some maps from VGMaps.com.  Thanks to those who agreed to have this book feature your maps in printed form.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Kickstarter - Commodore 64: a visual Commpendium by Bitmap Books
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:14:43 pm »
Got my copy a couple days ago!

It's the first time seeing my name in print in the backflap of an actual book!  You should check out this book if you remember the Commodore 64.

Also, it's the second Kickstarter campaign I particpated in (first was the computer game Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure), and the second time credit is due to VGMaps.com's C64 maps in a European publication (first was Retro Gamer, issue 81).

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:47:43 am »
Looks cool, but I can't help that notice that your name does not appear on the Commodore 64 index.... So whose maps actually got used?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:25:07 pm »
It looks interesting but it's not for me as I was never involved with the C64 as a kid and without nostalgia, it's impossible for me to really muster interest in any actual C64 games. It's just too primitive nowadays for me, and I'm actually starting to feel a bit like this with the NES for which I do have massive nostalgia.

I love C64 music and the SID format though, and I can certainly admire some of the feats of programming some people managed to pull off with the C64 in terms of music and graphics.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:24:31 pm »
Looks cool, but I can't help that notice that your name does not appear on the Commodore 64 index.... So whose maps actually got used?

Now that I took the time to look through the book, I think it may just be Rekrul's first map of Prince Of Persia.  I thought Ghosts 'N Goblins or Action Biker might have been from here but close inspection reveals differences in the sprites that appear, however the Prince of Persia map matches, animated flames and all.

I guess I got a little excited.  I do remember saying he didn't really have to credit me as long as he credited the mapmaker, but apparently he did both.  Maybe I don't need to toot my horn more than necessary.  Sorry about that.

However, it is a good book.  My experience with the C64 is actually rather limited myself, but I still find fascination with this book.  If not for the hassle of finding the rightsholders, a NES book in a similar style with tons of screenshots and art would be incredible too.  Then again many of the major studios from the NES era are still around, so the tricky thing wouldn't be to find them, but to actually get permission.

EDIT: The PDF version also thanks a Toni Bianchetti for game maps, in addition to Benjamin Wimmer.  So I don't know which one is Rekrul, and/or if another map was used that I'm not aware of, that may or may not be on VGMaps.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:56:47 am by JonLeung »