Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI (SNES)  (Read 60219 times)

Offline FlyingArmor

Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
« on: August 20, 2010, 02:20:11 pm »
So here I go taking on this behemoth of an RPG! I've attached two examples of the sort of approach I'm going to take with these maps. In the Kohlingen map I put the FF3 logo in there, but it isn't absolutely necessary, and there will undoubtedly be maps where there won't be space for it.

Let me know what you guys think. :)

Offline Trop

Re: Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:04:01 pm »
Well alright, going after a real giant.  This won't be some easy little project though.  Good luck, and of course if you need codes or things don't hesitate to ask.  Oh yeah, and the maps look great so far.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:49:46 pm »
I love your approach! Considering how big the game is, let's hope you manage to see this through, because it's certainly worth it.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:04:04 pm »
Thanks you guys! Oh, by no means will it be easy, but anything worth doing doesn't come easy. No matter how long it takes, I will see this project through to the end, don't you worry. :D

Offline Paco

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:03:43 am »
*droooool*

but dont add FF3-Logo. That would only add confusion.
Legends never dies.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »
Okay, it's been a little over a month, so I went and submitted the few maps I had completed. Decided against the FF3 logo in the maps. They're much better suited to overworld maps where there's a lot more room for that sort of thing anyway. :)

With the Narshe South Mines map, you'll definitely notice the repetitive tiles in the corners. I may try and "fix" those areas to make them look a little more natural, but I'd rather get more of the game mapped before going back to something like that.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »
Time for a progress report.

But first off, I finally got South Figaro all mapped and labelled! It was quite the challenge piecing it together in a coherent manner, but I think I pulled it off. It'll be available this weekend.

I'm roughly 60% of the way through the World of Balance maps, and that's including both completely finished and works in progress. I'm kinda surprised that I was able to map so much of the game so far with just a walk-through-walls code that is pretty finicky. It works beautifully when you're inside buildings, but is so particular of where you can use it when outside. The code is AA90-74DD. There's another code floating around that claims to work even better (AA20-77AD), but it has never worked for me. (I'm using a FF3 US v1.0 ROM).

There's a few areas that I can't complete the maps for: Mt. Kolts, Lete River, and Vector. There are a few others, but the holes to fill in with those are rather minor and I can probably fill them in with surrounding tiles. I don't know if there are better codes for walking through obstacles, but they'd be a godsend for finishing these areas.

With the Lete River, the main problem is the water. There's at least three different animations going on, all with varying amounts of frames. So a code to freeze the animations would be great. Any help with this and the walk-through-walls code would be much appreciated. :D

So those are my concerns for now. I've begun playing through the game, so I'll be able to map all the areas that are unreachable later on.

As a little extra, here's what I've been using to keep track of all these maps: World of Balance progress sheet. I used something similar when I was mapping Lufia. A great way to keep everything nice and organized. :)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
If walk-through-walls cheats are failing you, you can try something like Cheat Engine to manually control your position on the map. It might be easier and quicker to do that than to search for a univerally working code. For a game like FF, it could be as simple as an X and Y coordinate.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:32:02 pm »
7E004551
7E106A4A
7E1077B4
7E108473
7E109173
7E109E73

Heh, at least 3, funny.  Those 6 will freeze the river and the splashing.  The waterfalls themselves are not animations but color changing backgrounds and with more then 45 codes to hold them all in one color you're better off taking a separate pic of each.  As for the WTW I have found many around the net but none work.  If I don't post one in the next day assume I have failed.

Oh and if you need a reference for research:

http://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff6/ff6maps.htm

But as you can see he had problems too.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:24:27 am »
I managed to figure something out after much trial and error. I can horizontally offset what you see when first entering an area, but I haven't been as successful when trying vertically. Even so, I was able to finish the Vector map with this, so it was definitely worth the three or so hours of anguish! The code I used is 7E0541**.

It's been a while since I tried tackling that, so I may have exaggerated... ;)  But Trop, you're amazing. Definitely big thanks for working that out. I wouldn't have known where to start to work out something like that. Even for my little breakthrough, it took a lot of blind and aimless tinkering. The waterfalls shouldn't be a problem if they use palette animation, they'll all stay in sync.

I've come across those maps before. Although there are some spots where he fudged things, he did manage to capture out of reach portions in some maps that I couldn't (the NW corner of Vector, for instance).

Offline Trop

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 09:38:03 am »
left right
7E0074  01 or FF
7E0078  01 or FF
7E007C  01 or FF

up down
7E0076   01 or FF
7E007A   01 or FF
7E007E   01 or FF

Couldn't do coordinate WTW so scout codes instead.  ;D

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:52 pm »
Topic revival after who knows how many months...!

Got around to completing the map layout and patchwork for Mt. Kolts, so that's finally done with. And also got the items for Returners' Hideout labeled as well. It's not much, but at least it's something. :)

I don't think I'll get much else done in the coming weeks. I'll be busy drawing pages for a few comic books that I'm preparing for an upcoming convention. So the ever-dreaded mapping of the Lete River can happily wait for now, heheh.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 01:11:38 pm »
Hey~ I'm nearly finished with mapping everything in the World of Balance, save for 3 areas: Lete River, Phantom Forest, and the Phantom Train.

The Lete River is coming along, though it does take a lot of time and several passes through the area to capture everything. But at least now it's not impossible to do. :)

Finishing off the Phantom Forest depends upon finishing the Phantom Train area, and the main problem with that area is not being able to separate the train from the background/black space. But just now, I think I found a solution to this problem (using vSNES), so I'll give that program a shot.

Aside from that, I've started working on the World of Ruin. I have no idea how many maps there'll be (it's been years since I last played this game to completion), but I'll just do them as they come.

Offline Trop

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 07:29:57 pm »
Everything looks great so far.  Can't wait to see the World of Ruin maps.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 04:58:27 pm »
There's one thing I'd like to get an opinion or two on. With regards to the towns in the World of Ruin, I'm undecided about whether or not to include all the building interiors that were already shown in the World of Balance maps. On one hand, I find that they're a little redundant, especially if there's no new treasures to point out, but on the other, the maps might not seem as complete if they're not included. Any thoughts?

I've included two examples of towns without the already seen interiors.