Author Topic: 2011/03: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Genesis) - Maxim  (Read 21107 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2011/03: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Genesis) - Maxim
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Maxim's Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Genesis) maps.

Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament is a racing game featuring the popular Micro Machines toys, with racetracks and obstacles composed of everyday objects.  Though not the first game of its kind (obviously, there's the first Micro Machines game on the Sega Master System, among other consoles), there are a few things that make this game stand out.

Firstly, it came in a special cartridge, called a J-Cart.  J-Carts included two more controller ports on the cartridge itself, allowing four controllers to be plugged in at once.  Secondly, besides the obvious four player action, you could actually play with up to eight players: two players could share each controller to control separate vehicles!

And also, our resident Sega fan Maxim not only mapped this game very well, but he did so with a program he wrote himself: the Screenshot Autostitcher!  How fitting that he'll enable our machines to micro-manage screenshots starting with a game about Micro Machines!  This game was his opportunity to introduce this valuable tool to the community of video game cartographers who continue to add to this site week after week.  Anything that makes our job easier is certainly welcome, so thanking him for the Screenshot Autostitcher is long overdue.

So to recognize the effort put into automating mapping, Maxim's Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Genesis) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for March 2011.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:40:19 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Maxim

Re: 2011/03: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Genesis) - Maxim
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:51:24 am »
Hey, it's me! I need to map some more epic games to get some more of this glory :)

Offline Zetta

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:48:15 pm »
Congratulations Maxim on doing one hell of a job on all 56 race courses from Micro Machines 2 : Turbo Tournament.

This game looks insanely fun. My two favorite courses is 'Rapid Results' and 'Burn my Body'. LOL at the ice cream cone located where the sun bather's **** would be in the sand. :P

Also lol at the toilet-bowl Rim Runners course.  :D

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »
I've never heard anything about this game outside of these maps, but I love the design. Great job mapping it!
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Maxim

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:13:24 am »
The Micro Machines games (at least, the first few...) are some of the most fun single-screen multiplayer you can get - I'd rate it on a level with the better Bomberman games. I'd highly recommend playing it when you get a chance.

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 02:24:16 pm »
As you might or might not be aware, I've played Micro Machines, Micro Machines 2, Micro Machines '96, Micro Machines Military, and Micro Machines 64/V3 and have seen every track for all of those games. The Genesis version of the original game had an extra variety of track in which you raced with Choppers, in a sort of garden type area.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:46:47 am »
I think the choppers were in the NES original. They were on the box for the SMS version but not in-game.