Author Topic: "Like a whole lot of nerdy Magellans" :P  (Read 7673 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
"Like a whole lot of nerdy Magellans" :P
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:00:50 am »
Came across this blog post just now about game cartography, the last paragraph of which is about us:

ghostynet: 8 bit maps, digital cartography. - March 7, 2011
Quote from: ghostyblog
Please keep in mind that I’m no expert on maps or cartography, nor architecture.   But all this exposure to these ideas of of late has gotten me to thinking about just how much we use maps to order the world around us, and I don’t simply mean the “real” world, but all the other virtual spaces we navigate in our lives.  Gamespace particularly.   As I wrote/ pondered this bit this morning, I came across a site online that blew me away : VGMaps.com : the Video Game Atlas.  I have to admit I’m floored by the vast amount of maps that have been generated on this site.   It’s as if there is a whole army of armchair-game-cartographers out there, who seek to map like every video game ever made.  Like a whole lot of nerdy Magellans.

I can't resist posting remarks about us, especially since praise hasn't been that frequent in the past little while.  :P  And look, they used my Maniac Mansion map (my own maps are even more infrequent), the same map that Ron Gilbert mentioned on his blog at the time of the great influx of visitors in '05.  Yes, I like to toot my own horn.  >_>

(And of course a Legend Of Zelda map is referenced (not mine though I did make one)...  Everyone loves them some Zelda!)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:02:48 am by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

Re: "Like a whole lot of nerdy Magellans" :P
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »
*Readies Magellan hat*  To the video games!