Author Topic: The Dorklyst: The 6 Greatest Videogame Theories on the Internet  (Read 11316 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
The Dorklyst: The 6 Greatest Videogame Theories on the Internet

Except for Diablo's secret cow level, those were all really interesting.  I never really thought of Super Mario Bros. 3 that way before.  And the Pokémon one is interesting, as is the Majora's Mask one.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:29:55 am by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

Re: The Dorklyst: The 6 Greatest Videogame Theories on the Internet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:22:40 am »
Don't know why I never saw the Mario one before.

No Gygas is not a fetus he's just a swirly evil face, I ripped that sprite ages ago (bottom right):
http://www.vgmapper.com/SysSNES/E/EarthboundEnemySpriteGallery_02.png

Have you tried killing Bull Prince Rodeo in Laz's Diablo 2 mod?  I can't do it.

I don't think the woods Link is going through in MM is the Lost Woods.  But maybe since it was he was looking for Saria

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »
I never noticed the Super Mario Bros 3 one, but it does look like it makes a lot of sense. Of course, I personally think that it was a stylistic choice and not supposed to literally be a play.

As for the Earthbound one, I heard about the fetus thing a while ago but it's also been disproved quite a bit on Mother forums. It's apparently a subject that will get a thread locked so I suspect Mother fans are just really tired of shooting it down.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:08:13 am »
I guess in recent generations, when we have the graphical effects, and high enough resolution to present detail, you can go for stylistic approaches like that, and it's really obvious.  Take Yoshi's Story, Paper Mario, and Kirby's Epic Yarn as examples.  If a game was meant to look like a stage play, it would be so much more clear that it was so.  Back in the NES days, when you don't have a lot of colour options or the resolution, and probably sprite size restrictions, and everyone's just trying to make graphics of something that even look like what they're supposed to represent, it's actually really neat that they made a choice like that to make it appear like a play, and yet still kind of funny that most of us hadn't thought of it that way.  I wonder if the new Super Mario game for the 3DS, that looks like a spiritual successor to Super Mario Bros. 3, will be that way.  But given the 3D nature...probably not.

(Remember Clay Fighter (and its sequels, and Claymates)?  It seemed cool at the time, but looking back...not really.  The Super NES has more colours than the NES, but the same resolution, so the "clay" appearance doesn't look as great as I remember.  Regardless, I do like that they at least attempted to do something different, not all this hyper-realistic stuff that seems to be the norm these days.)

The EarthBound stuff is freaky, but that fleshy Giygas cave I always figured was like some biomechanical H. R. Giger horror stuff (like the Alien movies and the Dark Seed games).  (Giygas and Giger...hmmm.)  Still a bizarre final boss for a game that started out cute and colourful.  I played but don't remember much of Mother/EarthBound Zero, but from what I do remember about Mother 3, there always seems to be darkness underneath the colourful appearance of these games.  A death fairly early in Mother 3 surprised and even shocked me, and I remember thinking that the swatting death of Buzz Buzz (or whatever his name is, you know, the bee guy) early in EarthBound seemed like really twisted humour.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:16:57 am by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:03:07 pm »
I always thought Earthbound was supposed to be a parody on so many other RPGs and their concepts.  Unfortunately I think a lot of the humor element was lost due to the cultural divided between America and Japan.  Take Buzz Buzz for example; I think that was meant to make fun of how the great master, who is supposed to help the adventurer, always dies or disappear dramatically early on.  While Buzz Buzz dies in the least dramatic way possible.

And it's funny you mention hidden dark elements because yes I think Earthbound is full of that.  But is that some kind of parody too?  I played Magical Starsign recently and it really goes over the top with that, slowly making the game more and more serious while keeping everything bright and cartoony.  By the way, Gigas means Giant in Greek.