Author Topic: Request: S.O.S. (Super NES)  (Read 35019 times)

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
Request: S.O.S. (Super NES)
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »
Hey guys.

I recently discovered this great, but flawed, survival SNES game from the creators of Clock Tower.

You play as 4 different characters, passengers in a luxurious cruiser. A few minutes into the game, a huge wave tips over the ship, lots of people die and now it's your job to rescue some of the remaining live passengers (optional) and escape the ship through the boiler room. It's the exact same story as the classic movie Poseidon by the way. Depending on who or how many people you rescue, you will get 4 different endings with slight variations each.

I thought of asking here for a decent map because the ingame map is horrible. It doesn't tell you where you are and it's really really hard to know where you are going when all the rooms on the map look the same.

On Gamefaqs there's a image of the ingame map, but it only tells you where the survivors are, and it doesn't show where each character starts or where the boiler room is. So, almost useless.

I don't know if whoever takes this request will do a full game map, but if you do, here's a code (7E030501) that stops time, which prevents the ship from capsizing, however you can't rescue anyone (because nothing has happened) or escape the ship. Just disable it and let the ship capsize.

Offline Trop

Re: Request: S.O.S. (Super NES)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:53:48 pm »
Hey Rey, it's been a while.  I'll take a crack at this.  But wouldn't you want the ship upside down since that's how the game is played?  (I've only played the first 2 minutes of this game)

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:21:01 am »
Hey VGMapper, you're here too? :P

Well, if you make a map of the normal ship then all you would have to do is flip it to make it upside down :)

I mean, it would be easier to make the map that way because once the ship capsizes, it's really hard to traverse the thing. Although, to know where the survivors are you do have to let the ship capsize and some doors will remain locked, I don't know if those doors get unlocked over time or if they are unlocked by playing with the other characters. As long as you're not rescuing anyone, you can beat the game in less than 10 minutes too heh.

I suggest you use that code to keep the ship on a position you like. Be warned though, that the code doesn't prevent you from getting a gameover once the 1 Hour time is up.

I know how to make codes too, so if you need a specific code, let me know. I don't know what that could be though because there doesn't seem to be anything to modify.

Here's a code for invincibility against fire and debris 7E16043C.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:22:54 am by ReyVGM »

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:42:53 am »
I did a quick mapability assessment and made a few camera control codes and I don't think there will be too many issues.  Locked doors are a problem.  Failed to make a back ground animation freeze code for the rain on the deck.  Say, how are you at making walk through wall codes?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:12:45 pm »
I've actually mapped *almost* the whole thing; I just haven't gone through the capsized maps and added the fires and passengers (dead and alive). I also couldn't decide how to assemble the various sections since in addition to the three deck portions, there's also the whole "machinery" section as well as most of the separate rooms. I also wanted to map the sections of the ship you get to see during the ending since there seems to be a few distinct ones depending on the ending you get.

Anyway, I'm not going to stop anyone from doing it since it'll most likely look better and be more organized than my version, assuming I ever finished it. I can post what I've done so far if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:13:18 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 02:49:33 pm »
I did a quick mapability assessment and made a few camera control codes and I don't think there will be too many issues.  Locked doors are a problem.  Failed to make a back ground animation freeze code for the rain on the deck.  Say, how are you at making walk through wall codes?

What? Haha, I think you are a more advanced code hacker than me. I was thinking more along the lines of Infinite Energy stuff :P

I don't really know where to start to make a WTW code, sorry. I'm useless now  ;D

I've actually mapped *almost* the whole thing; I just haven't gone through the capsized maps and added the fires and passengers (dead and alive). I also couldn't decide how to assemble the various sections since in addition to the three deck portions, there's also the whole "machinery" section as well as most of the separate rooms. I also wanted to map the sections of the ship you get to see during the ending since there seems to be a few distinct ones depending on the ending you get.

Anyway, I'm not going to stop anyone from doing it since it'll most likely look better and be more organized than my version, assuming I ever finished it. I can post what I've done so far if anyone's interested.

I think the fires might be randomly placed, or at least time based. But don't quote me on that.
If you have most of the map done, then I see no issue with Trop using it as a starter pack. That is unless he has his own way of doing things and rather start from scratch.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:52:42 pm by ReyVGM »

Offline Trop

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »
Well I've already started from scratch.  My only real problem now is all the locked doors.  There are a lot of em.

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:40:56 am »
Maybe you're not supposed to enter all of them or maybe you have to pick a different character?

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:49 pm »
Well I just started anyway so I'm sure I'll find out.  I'll post more when I know more.

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
Cool. Once you get it done, I'll be able to get all the endings with all the characters thanks to your map :)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:08 am »
You guys briefly mentioned the original Clock Tower.  I've shied away from making requests, but I'll say that I wouldn't mind seeing that mapped too...   ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:09:48 am by JonLeung »

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:53:19 am »
I'm sure that if you, out of all people, make a request for that game, surely someone will jump at the chance of doing one :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:09:48 am »
Would anyone be surprised that I've already fully mapped the original Clock Tower, I just haven't assembled the pieces yet?

If you want to make that an actual request, I could probably post a finished map sometimes this weekend. It won't be the map I was trying (and failing) to make, but it would still be good to have.

Unlike with S.O.S., I haven't finished the map yet because I was actually trying to make a "walkthrough" map that would show all the items and puzzles while also taking in account the possible changes depending on room location, which of the two item will appear to open the way to the cave and how to determine which of your friends will live or die. And for someone who (for some reason) has a lot of problems with being satisfied with my layouts, that much ambition made the project a nightmare.

Anyway, yeah, I'm shooting for a finished map this weekend, based on the unofficial translation by Aeon Genesis. I'm mentioning this because I think a few names are spelled differently compared to later games on the Playstation which had official English versions.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 02:54:02 pm »
Well, there ya go. Clock Tower is done :)

This place is like magic.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »
TerraEsperZ, it doesn't surprise me when you say you've already mapped a game...and also not surprising when you say you haven't submitted it yet because you haven't quite finished with the little details like labelling, etc.  :P

But you could submit your mostly-complete stuff, and you can always resubmit an updated version later.  You wouldn't be the first to do that...there are certainly other mappers with whom this is a common practice (you know who you are).

While not a practice I would want people to adopt (it does add to my weekly workload to reupload something, obviously not very much, but it can add up), it would still be a lot better if you submitted any essentially complete and functional maps, than if you sat on them for months or years.  It could have been of some use to someone in the meantime, even if not perfect in your own eyes.

Consider my request for your Clock Tower maps an "official" one (whatever that means), but you can submit them whenever you're ready.  I just don't want you to feel like everything has to be 200% perfect before you send them in.

EDIT: I reread your post and realized that you recognized this yourself already.  :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:58:50 pm by JonLeung »