Author Topic: ( SNES ) - The Legend of the Mystical Ninja  (Read 11501 times)

Offline vorpal86

( SNES ) - The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:50 am »
Hey guys/gals!

I'm officially now working on Mystical Ninja maps. Also there are a few posted already by KindarSpirit but there wasn't an official Ninja thread.

I've reached out/emailed KindarSpirit but I see no account of him/her listed in Members list. The three maps posted are actually a tad inaccurate/missing areas or wrong BG as I've found. I remember elsewhere on here someone mentioned their incomplete Chrono Trigger map.. I was to ask if I could edit/add to the three current Warlock Zone maps that were posted. So it's been since 2008 those maps were posted and so-far no sigh of KindarSpirit. I have added/edited and remapped some of those areas and was working on Warlock Zone II. The design of the maps are now a bit more elegant and fun. I've used grid based representation as usual and kept an eye out for detail.

So anyone heard from KindarSpirit and if not is it fair game? I just want to make sure things are kosher and cool with it all. Don't want no huge flames! =)

Of course I'll keep him/her in the credits for those three maps. Those current three maps can remain posted and just add the edited ones. I'm almost ready to start Warlock Zone III so will begin the new undone maps.

Meanwhile I'll work on maps...

Online JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: ( SNES ) - The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:19:39 pm »
It's been long enough, I'd say it's fair to do the maps.  Having submitted a few maps but not following through with more doesn't exactly retain "dibs", certainly not over a few years.

Though I think it would probably be better to redo them from scratch than to add to an existing map if you can't get their permission.

If the original mapper did perfectly (or exactly how you would have done it) with what they had already assembled, and that the end result is the same, one could argue that it would be a waste of time to do the work again just to be "above reproach".  I personally think that I would still do it though, if it were me.

(Though funnily enough, this very morning I had a brief moment where I mused about redoing all of the A Link To The Past maps (while I did the Light World, Iron Knuckle did the dungeons and Alex Foster did the Dark World), in a sense, to try to "claim" one of my favourite games of all time as mapped entirely by me, I also realized that (besides not having made a map myself in years), I probably don't have the time, and for so little gain.)

Looking forward to The Legend Of The Mystical Ninja maps.  I really like the Super NES game.  It's one of those games that may not be supremely well-known, but is still a high-quality game (comparable to the "AAA"s, even if not by popularity) and is of a decent length and lots of fun.  Could also say the same about the first N64 game (I didn't play much of the second).  A shame that Konami didn't bring more of its games over, but the Goemon series is full of Japanese quirkiness that makes it hard to sell, even though that's a big part of its charm, IMO.

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:25:02 pm »
It's been 4 days and no response yet from the mapper. Truth is I have already redone the first two Warlock Zones again and they look nothing like the one's posted. There was quite a bit of inaccurate mapping going on with them. So yeah basically I've remapped them all again from scratch.

As far as A Link to the Past goes I think it it's cool to have shared the load. As long as all the maps keep the same style so it looks presentable all should be well. Some mappers like toadd just the maps so nto be as minimal as possible. I of course like to give it some sort of design and layout as they use to do in strategy guides and books with maps back in the good ol days of Brady Games and Nintendo Power.

On then to Warlock Zone III...

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:36 am »
OK this game is officially completed now.

I'm gonna post Warlock Zone 1 - A and B so this forum thread isn't empty!

Warlock Zone 1a - Mystical Ghost - O - Edo Village
Warlock Zone 1b - Mystical Ghost - Horro Temple

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:11 am »
Wow, they looking amazing! Can't wait to see the rest!

Online JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:41:30 am »
The maps have been up since yesterday evening.  They look great.

If only more of the Goemon games had left Japan...