Author Topic: NES Game Atlas: recreation  (Read 94278 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: NES Game Atlas: recreation
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 02:54:49 pm »
Grrr, does that mean I might have to retitle them?

Which is the most well-known North American title?

(And this is off-topic, but I guess we're done with the NES Atlas anyway.  :P)

Offline Maxim

RE: NES Game Atlas: recreation
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 03:59:18 am »
Master of Darkness (SMS): European and Brazilian title.

Vampire (SMS): beta version of the game, but the first ROM release (released by a Finnish "scene" group in the mid-90s).

In the Wake of Vampire (GG): Japanese release

Vampire: Master of Darkness (GG): European/US release

Master of Darkness is "right". Unless there's differences between the beta and the released version, in which case the distinction ought to be made.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: NES Game Atlas: recreation
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 01:50:24 pm »
I had the day off thanks to a watermain burst at work.  :)

So I finally got around to doing some things I kept meaning to do.  Among other things, this included correcting the Bowser's Castle map from Super Mario Bros. 3 to have the two different Bowser rooms.  I also fixed the area names in the Mario games to not include the word "Area" in them anymore.  I picked that up somewhere, apparently, but since no one calls it "World 1 - Area 1" but simply "World 1-1" or "1-1", and the word is certainly not in the games, I decided that fix was incredibly overdue.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:51:09 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2016, 10:09:17 am »
This hasn't been posted in in over five years?  Wow!

A friend recently gave me a nicer copy of the NES Game Atlas.  I'd like to think I keep my stuff in good condition, but due to time and the way the book is glued together, some pages came out of my original copy.  Not ripped, just popped out.  So it's nice to have a better copy.

How many people misread "recreation" (as in "re-creation") as "recreation" (like "recreational activity")?

Anyway, Revned sent in new day and night maps for Castlevania II: Simon's Quest two days ago; thought I should mention them.

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »
It's been that long? Sheesh.. The activity here over the past few years hasn't really been too good with guys like me running away for a while then popping back up just to give away some new maps.

But on topic - I have this Player's guide and I actually got it with my very first subscription to the big NP! I loved that mag up until they removed councilors corner, classified info and took all the maps out of it. Around the time that the GC kinda ended and the Wii came about and Future took over. Now we see what happened to it afterwards.. :(

I have over half of all power mags and all of the first 4 original players guides that were actually a single issue. The Mario, Ninja Gaiden, 4 Player action and the Final Fantasy player's guides. The normal issue came out bi-monthly while that was going on then after of course, the normal 12 issues per year started. I didn't have the first 12 issues when I first subscribed but it was back in early 1990 so I was able to purchase the entire set since they were actually quite readily available and in stock. Also some years later Nintando said they don't sell to the general public in thier magazine but I called them around 1997-8 or so and they actually sold me a copy of Zelda 1 and 2 (Classic series) which was cool. They kinda lied to me.. :)

At any rate I checked out the new CVII maps.. Very nice.

Offline aliceta

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 09:12:08 pm »
I searched google for the NES Game Atlas, but I did not understand about it and I wanted to know how to play it

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 09:56:47 pm »
As mentioned in the first post, the NES Game Atlas is simply a book I really like; it was the first Nintendo Power Player's Guide, which featured full maps of many of the most popular NES franchises.

This topic encouraged mappers to essentially make that book obsolete, which we did, by not only mapping the same games covered, but the sequels that were not out at the time of the original book's release.

We extended the idea to create a topic/request for a hypothetical "Super NES Game Atlas" - while the book doesn't exist, it was simply to map the same series' continuation in 16-bits, which was also completed.

The idea was also brought to the Game Boy in a topic/request for a hypothetical "Game Boy Game Atlas", but after five years and a month, it's still missing one game - Super Mario Bros. Deluxe still isn't complete.  Ironically, you'd think it would be the most popular game to be mapped, since it's a remake of the most popular game in its day.  Even Nintendo hasn't forgotten about it, as it made an appearance towards the end of the Nintendo World Championships 2017.  Strange, eh?

So, just like any other maps, these aren't to "play", but to view.

I wonder - after all this time - have people been misreading "recreation" in this topic header as in "recreational" instead of as in "re-creation"?  I intended the latter, as we are recreating something, not necessarily having any more fun (as in recreational) than any other mapping project.  I leave out the hyphen here because that doesn't seem consistent - after all, we say "redo", "react" and "refund", not "re-do", "re-act" or "re-fund", so why not "recreate" instead of "re-create"?  At work the other day, I used the word "reask" in an email which I wonder if it caused confusion...