Author Topic: Got a DS Lite yesterday. Plus, something to watch out for if you play AC:WW.  (Read 8089 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I got a DS Lite yesterday!  Problem was, there was a dead pixel near the center of the screen, always stuck on red.  Exchanged it, no problem.

In my haste to try it out again, and also while I was distracted, or something, I failed to set the year on the initial set-up, so the DS Lite thought it was July 6, 2000, instead of July 6, 2006.  I played a bit of Animal Crossing on there.  I didn't really do anything significant this playthrough, just walked around and remarked how beautiful and colourful the game is, especially with all those hybrid special-coloured flowers all around.

I didn't know that the clock was six years behind (until my brother played Brain Age and thought his file was erased when it actually wasn't, he just didn't see his stamps because it was supposedly the year 2000) so when I played Animal Crossing on our first, regular DS, my Animal Crossing village jumped forward six years.

Surprisingly, all the villagers acted as if nothing had happened.  They were all the same ones and in the same locations.  It looked as if the insides of their houses had reverted to their original state, though I could be wrong.  If it was so, that was the only difference.  Most villagers talked to me as if nothing happened, and certain villagers that I hadn't talked to for two weeks said that they missed me for two weeks.

My hypothesis is that because I didn't talk to anyone in the past, when I came back to the future, there was no problem with the game looking at the last time I talked to them, to calculate how long I was missed.  So there wasn't a six year gap between any moments in time when I talked to them so they wouldn't move out based on absence/lack of attention alone.  Phew!

The only things I lost were bulletin board messages (no biggies) and all our flowers (except our golden roses).  Weeds had ravaged the town and cockroaches were in my house.  Weeding the whole town took less time than I thought, and stomping out the bugs was no biggie, so essentially the only real loss was the flowers, but hey, at least the Flower Fest is already over and it gives me something to do again.

I could be wrong about my hypothesis, but either way I'm glad I didn't lose any villagers.

And yes, the DS Lite's time is brought back to 2006 as well.

So if you play your Animal Crossing: Wild World on another DS, be sure the time on that is accurate.

Anyway, the DS Lite is SO awesome.  Four brightness settings, the lowest being brighter than the original DS's.  The colour is so vibrant, and viewable from a greater range of angles (that is, if you want people watching you play or hold your DS at weird angles for some odd reason).  I actually tried playing my original DS outside on the weekend, and it was really difficult to see anything because of the sunlight and reflections.  I haven't tried it yet, but I would bet that the DS Lite is manageable outside.  And since it's so sleek and actually fits in more pockets, that may be a possibility.  Plus, it's coordinated with the Wii I will get which will likely be "Polar White" as well.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
I plan on getting the black Wii. I wish I could have gotten a black DSLite.

I'm glad that I didn't have to put up with the original DS design. I really don't think I missed out on anything by not getting it sooner (except maybe that attorney game).

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
"That attorney game"?  Sheesh.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is AWESOME.  Now that it's available again (at least through Capcom's web site) and Phoenix Wright: Justice For All is coming out soon, you really should try to pick it up.