Author Topic: Full map set for Sonic the Hedgehog's games  (Read 25632 times)

Offline G.E.R.

Re: Full map set for Sonic the Hedgehog's games
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2024, 05:00:41 am »
So I've been played both Rivals with screenshot capturing (10 images per second), it took 2 days and 8 hours (at 5:00 AM - 9:00 AM on 06/17-06/18).
Importing all screenshots (163258 images) in Photoshop projects by using scripts took 4 hours without my participation.
I think software-processing was the most difficult part because it need extremely high computer performance. All that remains is the stitching the screenshot parts and placing game objects, I think I'll do it quickly with my SSD M2 as three working for Photoshop ang 128GB RAM.I think software-processing was the most difficult part because it need extremely high computer performance. All that remains is the stitching the screenshot parts and placing game objects, I think I'll do it quickly with my three SSDs M2 as working disk for Photoshop ang 128GB RAM.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2024, 09:21:03 am »
Looking forward to seeing those maps up real soon! I wonder what maps are going to be tackling next before you leave town for your trip?

Outside of this, my strong curiosities of maps currently lie within Freedom Planet or Spark the Electric Jester, mainly because of how long/large their maps seemed to be, maybe a bit more than some of Sonic's past maps that held that, but, of course, the decision is up to you.

If you're still focused on the Sonic Riders maps, I almost forgot to mention one other game in that lineup; "Sonic Free Riders" for the Xbox 360, and its Kinect accessory. That's the one game you forgot to put on your list.

I just remembered it because of one of its well-known songs, "Free". Really cool to listen to. Sure, that game wasn't well-favored, but the maps are waiting to be seen.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 09:45:22 pm by Cyartog959 »

Offline G.E.R.

After the trip
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2024, 11:25:08 am »
At the end of July (at best). I can't able to complete the working in a week.

Offline Cyartog959

Re: After the trip
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2024, 12:52:17 pm »
At the end of July (at best). I can't able to complete the working in a week.

Well, no one is stopping you. I hope you have a good time on your trip. Enjoy yourself.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2024, 05:02:08 pm »
I see you've done well on your progress. I caught on how you tackled the shorter maps first, the boss Acts from Sonic Rivals 1 & 2, before doing the whole levels themselves. Very good.

What I am astounded is the entirety of Sonic Unleashed's PS3/X360 version's final level, Eggmanland's Crimson Carnival, that's the level's name to suit the theme park setting, as it really does use both Day and Night aspects at once, and I now know why how long it actually takes to finish that. I took one look, and, oh, BOY, is it LONG!

Now I finally see why its a literal ride, so to speak. And knowing how Dr. Eggman's vision of an amusement park as part of his Eggman Empire, its anything but to everyone.

Hope you have good time on your trip. I'm sure there's other maps you'll tackle when you get back. And thanks for making those maps!

B.T.W., I spotted a discrepancy about the copyright year of Sonic Unleashed. It seemed to be copied of the years from Sonic 06, but the year Unleashed is actually 2008, 2009 for DLC.

And, I noticed at the very end of Savannah Citadel, Night Act 1, there's a particular secret compound Dr. Eggman built that I saw in the distance, kinda obscured by gameplay, where he kept Professor Pickle hostage there with the stolen Gaia Manuscripts that were crucial to his scheme of harnessing Dark Gaia's power to construct Eggmanland, before he set to split the planet apart to awaken it. The map doesn't seem to show it in whole and up-close.

If you've got the time and chance one day, update it to include the compound in full view.

Just thought I'd let you know.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 12:20:14 pm by Cyartog959 »

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2024, 12:50:59 am »
Which sprite need to use for the items on maps?

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2024, 09:25:00 am »
Which sprite need to use for the items on maps?

Maybe put them in a rotational manner for the items in the maps. a circular arrow with them should do it.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2024, 10:21:58 am »
Well, I see you were able to map the Sonic Rivals games. Very nice.

The 2D view you made the maps in, I like it, but I previously thought they would be viewed in a isometric based perspective or overhead top-down like many of Sonic's 3D games you did before.

Question, what was the optimal choice of mapping those 2 games when you did, in 2D, isometric, or overhead?

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2024, 07:00:40 am »
I don't know how to compose them in another view.

For example, this train in isometric and you can't see design of carriages, images and titles on the carriages, carriage windows and passengers in the train:

Another train, but side view - you can see fully locomotive and carriages:

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2024, 02:07:43 pm »
Hmm... OK. I see how you're not versed in that perspective, and that's understandable.

If you're not quite sure about that, perhaps this link may get the idea, hopefully. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_video_game_graphics

I remember from playing those games that as the levels go on, the camera changes angles fast to keep up with the player running through them as if the players are going in different directions, even though the games are 2.5D, so I would think how those levels were seen in a semi-overhead, somewhat isometric or 3D perspective to see where the stage's path went in full view.

Granted, the levels are made in 3D, but still. The levels' scenery's also not so easy to look at when you're not in competitive races to the goal. I loved how beautiful they were made. Even the props, too.

I'm just wondering how all those levels were seen in 3D perspective, not just in 2D alone, which is nice to see.

Also, I did note that the second Acts' layouts of Sky Park Zone and Death Yard Zone are almost likely the same as Act 1's. I kinda wondered that when playing them before. I kinda felt they were mostly copy and pastes, and I was right. I presumed a small time-saving measure in their level design before the first game launched. Just guessing.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2024, 06:06:20 am »
All 2D-games that ripped early (and most 2D-platformers) have a simple format: 2D map and scrolling game-screen strictly in the perpendicular direction (90 degree). Based on this, the ripping of maps is making by combination of multiple screenshots.
The game camera in Sonic Rivals (and two acts in Sonic Generations 3DS) is not always at strictly perpendicular 90 degree angle, it allows you to see a most large area at once moment (as the first train picture), but it very complicates ripping process.
Я mean that full map can be visualised only on strictly 2D-view

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2024, 01:49:41 am »
All 2D-games that ripped early (and most 2D-platformers) have a simple format: 2D map and scrolling game-screen strictly in the perpendicular direction (90 degree). Based on this, the ripping of maps is making by combination of multiple screenshots.
The game camera in Sonic Rivals (and two acts in Sonic Generations 3DS) is not always at strictly perpendicular 90 degree angle, it allows you to see a most large area at once moment (as the first train picture), but it very complicates ripping process.
Я mean that full map can be visualised only on strictly 2D-view

OK. Quite informative. Good to feel educated.

Still, it was really neat to see the maps you've covered. Those two games' maps invoked senses and thrills of competition and adventure, all still in the well-beloved means of races to the goals.

Rivals' maps are a bit straightforward, albeit slightly less complex in their design, but they're rather fun to play through. And Rivals 2's maps, they improved quite on the flow for the rivalry aesthetic. All these, still even takes quite less than 2-3 minutes to win.

What's gonna be next for your mapping schedule?