Author Topic: Anyone know where I can find a clean version of Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up"?  (Read 14497 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Seeing as how Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" is so catchy, I'd like to use it in a video game tournament trailer, but it'd be nice if it didn't have the rude word "bitch" in it.

Does anyone has a clean copy of the song without the few "lyrics" in it?

This YouTube video explains how it was made from samples of other songs, and henceforth, how it can be recreated from them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

So, based on that, maybe I can find someone who can remake it (or has remade it already), without the potentially-offensive lyrics.  Maybe?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Unfortunately, I'm no good with music stuff, but if it sounds just like what was shown in that video, it should be fairly simple to remove the offensive parts, filling in the gaps with snippets from around them, since that part is rather repetitive. Certainly much much easier than recreating the entire song. :P
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline DarkWolf

There are methods to remove the human voice from a piece of audio, but your success rate is going to depend on how the song was mixed, and whether or not the voice sample has gone through any kind of filtering itself (probably has for this song).  You may also lose non-vocal audio, which could ruin the music.  There's also the possibility of looping a section of the song that doesn't have the voice sample.  Prodigy pieces are usually pretty simple looped patterns, and with a little bit of effort you could probably do it with Audacity.

Of course, I don't really agree with editing a song because you found one part of it offensive.  Find another song.  It's not like there aren't millions out there.  I know when I hear a censored version of a song and I'm familiar with the original, it feels weird, fake.  But that's just my opinion.

Offline Maxim

Just search for the radio edit. Youtube doesn't seem very helpful but it does seem to exist (apparently with no lyrics at all).

Offline TerraEsperZ

According to several online sources, aside from the original song there is indeed a lyrics free version, so I guess someone who's skilled at audio editing could simply replace the offending instances of "bitch" with the same portion of the musical version. Or just use that version if you don't care about the lyrics.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Hmmm... all of the "radio edits" I've come across sound exactly the same, but the article does say a lyricless version exists out there somewhere.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!