Author Topic: 2012/05: Cave Story (PC) - ummwat  (Read 17818 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2012/05: Cave Story (PC) - ummwat
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to ummwat's Cave Story (PC) maps.

For the past ten years, VGMaps.com's contributors have brought you screenshot maps from thousands of video games.  But most of them have been console games by big-name developers.  It's time now for a different sort of game to be recognized, and though it's a well-known game now, Cave Story originally started out as a freeware indie game by the work of one man, Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya, put together during his free time.

Our hero begins his adventure by waking up in a cave.  He comes across a village of the rabbit-like Mimigas, and soon learns of "the Doctor" who is up to no good, attempting to take over the world.  It's up to the hero to save the day by defeating this megalomaniac.  But to do so, he'll have to traverse a large network of caves within a floating island.

Influenced by and an homage to the great 2D platforming adventures that Pixel grew up playing, there are shades of Metroid and Castlevania, which naturally makes it a good fit for VGMaps.com.  So what are you waiting for?  Whether you're playing the original PC freeware version or one of the later ports, you should get out there and stop the Doctor, with ummwat's maps if you need a guide.  

So to recognize the effort put into acknowledging a great indie game, ummwat's Cave Story (PC) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for May 2012.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:38:28 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Troy Lundin

Re: 2012/05: Cave Story (PC) - ummwat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »
Congratulations!

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:32 pm »
Congratulations.  I never really considered this game until now.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Offline ummwat

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »
Yay! :P
Also, I might get around to updating the maps soon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:46:15 pm by ummwat »

Advance Wars (GBA) - 10%

Cave Story (PC/Mac/WiiWare) - COMPLETE 80%

Offline ozzy88

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:29 am »
Congratulations! This game is really good and the way the difficulty increase is really well designed. It's definitely worth exploring if you like metroidvanias :)