Author Topic: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future  (Read 186525 times)

Offline FlyingArmor

Re: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 02:44:50 pm »
Has anyone actually sent you e-mails of that sort? If it were me, I'd probably respond with something like: "Thanks for bringing this to my attention. However, if you're that bothered by it, perhaps you could bring yourself to fix this issue yourself? There's nothing stopping you from doing so, of course." ;)

I think my FF6 maps will have that colour shifting problem since I didn't really know about this phenomenon at the time I was working on them, but I honestly couldn't be bothered to fix them now. They're done, and that's that.

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 03:06:08 pm »
I'll admit I was being a tad melodramatic and exaggerated a bit, but I recently had someone email me about the fact that all the colours on my The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons were wrong and if I was planning to fix the problem. I simply replied that at the time, I preferred the palette used when playing on a Game Boy Advance instead of on a Game Boy Color, and that fixing it would take too much time and effort.

Although rarer, I prefer emails where someone points out an outright mistake or omission like for example, a missing room on a Prince of Persia 2 map that I had never managed to open back in the days and had forgotten about. Accuracy of that sorts is something I always have time for.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »
Yeah, if it's something small which won't take much time to fix, that makes sense, but asking for the entire map set to be redone is a bit much.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2014, 02:27:16 pm »
A quick update on Final Fantasy V.

I'm making steady progress with the game; I think I'm about 75% done so far. For the time being I'm just concentrating on piecing the maps together without worrying about adding the legends for treasure chests. That's something that can be easily done afterwards within a couple days.

For reference, here's all the codes I've found that freeze the water animations (except for palette animations):

7E0B3F00
7E141800
7E142000
7E142800
7E143000
7E143800
7E144000
7E144800
7E145000
7E145800
7E146000
7E146800

Certain groups of codes correspond to certain areas (castle, village, town, cave). It'd be too much work to figure out which code goes with which area; I simply keep them all on whenever I'm mapping. I've found that these codes also freeze the animations for fireplaces, the pendulums in clocks, torches, save points, and probably a few other things.

Also may as well mention the codes for the X and Y coordinates:

7E0AD8** - Determines the X coordinate (horizontal placement on a map)
7E0AD9** - Determines the Y coordinate (vertical placement on a map)

These work best when one is transitioning between scenes (activate them when the screen in black).

All the codes mentioned here work with both the Japanese ROM and the RPGe English translation.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2014, 04:52:03 pm »
With this weekend's updates, around half of the maps for Final Fantasy V are done. As you will see, I took the same approach with the item legend as I did with my FF4 maps: display the Japanese name first then include the English translation beside it.

As I was going through the game gathering the treasure chest data and such, I noticed I didn't think to map the valley you travel through at the very beginning of the game where you ride Boco and jump over pitfalls to save Lenna and Galuf. I'm not sure if I should bother mapping that area. Since it's only used for a cut scene, I don't really see the point of adding it to the rest of the maps. Anyone else think otherwise?

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2014, 04:56:07 pm »
I like to map everything that can be mapped, including cutscenes if possible. Going above and beyond what'S expected is what makes a project a true "work of art" in my opinion.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2014, 05:20:23 pm »
Good work on all the maps. And to Dermot. I like the Superimposed world map.. Nice.

The cut-sceens for the Boco run would be a nice addition. Although seeming pointless, it tends to make things a bit more complete. It prolly wouldn't take too much longer. But of course, it's a timeless effort.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2014, 01:43:10 am »
I ended up mapping the Valley area. It's not all that interesting looking, but it's done at least. But for any other cut scene that's no more than one screen in size, I'm putting my foot down and not doing them. If anyone wants to see them so badly, they certainly can when they play the game. ;)

@vorpal86: Thanks very much! By the way, what are you refering to when you say "The cut-scenes for the Boco run"?

Also I'll mention that for the last dungeon, I decided to split it up into seven maps, one for each distinct area (desert, ruins, forest, cave, tower, castle, last floor). The Town of Mirage won't be included in those maps since it already has a map of its own. I found that it was a bit too cumbersome having everything in one huge map, and I don't think it'd be all that useful to people who actually want to use it as a reference for where items are located and whatnot.

Now that I think about it though, I may as well make one huge map as well, for those who want to see everything in one single image.

Offline Trop

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2014, 07:59:45 pm »
Hey FA, if you're ever bored I've got a weird project for you.  I've been helping the good people at SNESMusic lately and they need song IDs for a bunch of JRPGs they can't play through because they can't read Japanese.  You'd have to play through the game and identify which song is what and where it's played.  Don't be fooled thought, It's actually a really tough job picking out each little tune from all the rest.  I've only gone through a few and they can really be hell raisers.  But if you're ever thinking about trying something completely different consider this.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2014, 01:29:20 pm »
Hey Trop! That sounds really interesting, especially if there's JRPGs involved! heheh

I don't think I'll jump on this just yet, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for as you say if I ever get bored. By the way, which RPGs are they wanting help for?

Offline Trop

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »
They've got a list:
http://snesmusic.jukor.net/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=c8bacb6b6e8fd3f56dc2364fee12464c

It's not huge, they've done a lot of work.  And they have all the tracks in SPC format right there at the top of each thread, just unnamed.  Like I said, if you ever want to try something completely different.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:24 am »
Thanks for linking me up! Looking through the list, the one game that sticks out for me is Majo Tachi no Nemuri. I love that game! If I ever find some time to play through it some more, I'll definitely think about putting some names to the tracks and submitting them.

In other news, I finished up mapping Final Fantasy V just a little bit ago. Yay~  :D

At some date in the future (who knows when), I'm going to go through all the maps and add in anything I didn't think necessary at the time, with which I later changed my mind on. It'll mainly be really minor cosmetic things, like adding in the books scattered about that you have to reshelf in Castle Surgate and other stuff like that.

Offline Trop

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 11:57:25 pm »
Fantastic on getting another FF.  Makes me think I should do the rest of FF4 Advanced.  You've got to celebrate very time you take down a huge project like that.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2014, 07:36:01 am »
Does this mean you're getting back to mapping Final Fantasy VII?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2014, 10:47:56 am »
Once I play through the game, I will be. ;) If Final Fantasy V was my mapping project for the summer, Final Fantasy VII will be my project for the fall. I left off at the prison underneath Gold Saucer, so I still got a long way to go before I begin to map the game in earnest.

While I'm at it, I might as well attach the map for the Chocobo Farm since it's all ready to go anyway. Enjoy!