Author Topic: 2012/09: Little Samson (NES) - TerraEsperZ  (Read 18722 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2012/09: Little Samson (NES) - TerraEsperZ
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:45:50 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to TerraEsperZ's Little Samson (NES) maps.

When the land of Forgy is threatened by Ta-Keed, the Prince of Darkness, it's up to the wielders of the Magic Bells to save the day!  Enter Little Samson, Kikira the Dragon Lord, Gamm the Rock Lord, and K.O. the Enchanted Beast (who takes the form of a cute mouse).  Using their unique abilities, they will traverse over a dozen areas to put the big hurt on the "big bad".

It's NES platforming action at its best, with multiple characters, charming music and cool boss battles.  Little Samson has amazing graphics for the NES, using a wide range of colours - without looking saturated, and a high level of detail - without looking cluttered.  TerraEsperZ also indicates what the criteria are that determine which stage you will go to next, since the game is not entirely linear.  This game is really something...being released on the NES after the Super NES had already been around for over a year probably hurt Little Samson's chances at being a bigger hit...but that doesn't mean we can't love this game now!

So to recognize the effort put into mapping one of the most underrated NES games ever, TerraEsperZ's Little Samson (NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for September 2012.

Offline Rew

Re: 2012/09: Little Samson (NES) - TerraEsperZ
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:46:41 am »
No disrespect to Terra--those look like awesome maps--but I'm sort of unsure how Peardian's maps of Ocarina of Time didn't make it as the September Maps of the Month. :P
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:57:38 am »
I'm thinking of giving Ocarina Of Time the same treatment as Revned's Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night maps a while back with its own front page random thumbnails for a bit...wish the computer I prefer to do image editing on didn't keep shutting down from overheating, though, even after a few fan/thermal paste replacements...

Ocarina Of Time will be honoured as an MotM soon enough, don't you worry.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:40 am »
No disrespect to Terra--those look like awesome maps--but I'm sort of unsure how Peardian's maps of Ocarina of Time didn't make it as the September Maps of the Month. :P

Me too actually ???.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:06:55 pm »
Looking at these maps makes me wish I had a chance to play it. Those stages are beautiful! And I really like how Terra marked branching paths and such. Great job!

Jon, if you're having trouble with making images from my maps, I can help you out. I have isolated renders and stuff. :P
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!