Author Topic: Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo (SNES)  (Read 52151 times)

Offline snesmaster

Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo (SNES)
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:28:28 pm »
I started mapping this game about a year ago and then took a break from it for a while.  I have picked up this project again after getting a request that I finish all the maps for this game.

I just finished 17 new maps. Among those is a complete set of maps for the Prehistoric (65,000,000 BC) era.  All my labeled maps for this game have been submitted to VGMaps and should be up soon.  You can also view the maps as I complete them at: http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/ChronoTrigger/ChronoTriggerMapSelect.html

I just finished the Prehistoric era and will be starting maps for the Dark Ages and Kingdom of Zeal next.  Let me know what you think of the maps I have done so far and feel free to offer any suggestions or comments on them.

Offline snesmaster

Re: Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:30:58 pm »
I just finished all the maps from the 12,000 BC time period and they have been submitted and uploaded to this site.  I'm currently working on Death Peak and am almost to the point where the game opens up and I will have access to the rest of the areas.

Offline Paco

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:54:44 am »
The Porre Ticket Office has a small error under Legend. It should say Truce not Porre since you're already in Porre. ^^

I think Zenan Bridge is also mappable in 1000 A.D. (at last i can enter it in DS-Version).

Edit:
If you talk with the Mayor in Porre you can receive 10 G (repeatable, but need to leave the Manor and return)

Edit2:
If you're with Marle in Guardia Forest (in other word not alone anymore) then you may fight 2 Beetles and 1 Avion Chaos (Before the Bird would just flee if you're alone and lets you fight only 2 Beetles).

asides of that the maps are all awesome. ^^
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:33:36 am by Paco »
Legends never dies.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 09:27:03 am »
Hi, thanks for taking the time to look through the maps and give me some feedback.

1.  I will fix the Legend for the Porre Ticket Office.  Thanks for catching that.

2.  Yes, I just checked and Zenan Bridge is also there in 1000 AD, I think it appeared somewhere along the storyline and I just never went back there.  So not only do I need to map it, but I also need to add the label for it to the 1000 AD Overworld Map.  Thanks for the heads up.

3.  About the Mayor in Porre, I don't think that information needs to go on the map, that is more something that should be in an FAQ for the game.  I mainly just label Chests or hidden items in the maps, not stuff triggered by talking with people.  At least not something as insignificant as 10 G :)

4.  I never noticed that about Guardia Forest.  I will have to check it out.  When starting to map the game I did not know if I should show on the map how the area looks when you first enter it, like just the enemies that are there when you are walking around, or if I should show the enemies that appear for the actual battle, and if something is there at first that you don't fight should I just leave it off the map?  Later I settled into for the most part just showing what you actually battle against.  So I should go back and do that for Guardia Forest to keep it consistent with the later maps.

Thanks for your input and let me know your thoughts on my comments.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:38:25 am by snesmaster »

Offline Paco

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:51:40 am »
2.  Yes, I just checked and Zenan Bridge is also there in 1000 AD, I think it appeared somewhere along the storyline and I just never went back there.  So not only do I need to map it, but I also need to add the label for it to the 1000 AD Overworld Map.  Thanks for the heads up.

The Bridge is there from the very beginning the Game. You'll see people walking to the fair.

3.  About the Mayor in Porre, I don't think that information needs to go on the map, that is more something that should be in an FAQ for the game.  I mainly just label Chests or hidden items in the maps, not stuff triggered by talking with people.  At least not something as insignificant as 10 G :)

Is this also the same for Taban Vest, Suit and Helm from Taban in Lucca's House which is received through talking with Taban at certain points in the game? ^^

4.  I never noticed that about Guardia Forest.  I will have to check it out.  When starting to map the game I did not know if I should show on the map how the area looks when you first enter it, like just the enemies that are there when you are walking around, or if I should show the enemies that appear for the actual battle, and if something is there at first that you don't fight should I just leave it off the map?  Later I settled into for the most part just showing what you actually battle against.  So I should go back and do that for Guardia Forest to keep it consistent with the later maps.

You're the boss, though we only want to see the best maps for one of the best RPG ever. :D

Here's some more stuff pointed out.

5. You should probably rename Elder's House to Medina Elder's House. A minor detail i know.

6. What the Truce Market sell depends if you saved Fritz from the Guardia Castle Jail or not. If you save him, then he will be there with Elaine from Leene Square and sell better stuff (the same as Melchior though). If not, then Fritz's Dad will be there and sell the old, weak stuff. That is not all, you'll also receive 10x Mid Ether for saving Fritz.

If it's ok with you, then i want later when the maps are done rearrange the maps on VGMaps in order instead of sorted after timeperiods.

*can basically hear snesmaster screaming at me for making him more work to do :P*
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:54:00 am by Paco »
Legends never dies.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:21 am »
Yes, you are correct the bridge is available from the start, I just walked over it and did not notice it was an area you could enter when I was first going through.

As for items from talking to people like Taban Vest, there is also the stuff you get in Lucca's House connected with the Rainbow Shell and the Sun Stone.  For now I decided not to include stuff like that.  Let me know if you feel strongly that stuff like that should be labeled and I will think on it some.

I did not put the town name in front of Elder's House because it is the only one on the map, so there was not the problem of having two maps with the same name.  I like to stick to the original name the game uses as much as possible.

I will go back after everything is mapped and add in the alternate items / prices for stores.

What do you mean "In Order"  in Order alphabetically?  In the order you first visited them when you played the game (keep in mind different people can go different places and go to areas in different orders)? There are lots of different orders they can go in so you need to be more specific.

Don't worry I'm not screaming too loud :)  I do thank you for the input.  I may not agree with everything you suggest, but I certainly find most of it helpful.

Offline Paco

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »
What do you mean "In Order"  in Order alphabetically?  In the order you first visited them when you played the game (keep in mind different people can go different places and go to areas in different orders)? There are lots of different orders they can go in so you need to be more specific.

In the order you first visited them. It's just a possible suggestion.

Don't worry I'm not screaming too loud :)  I do thank you for the input.  I may not agree with everything you suggest, but I certainly find most of it helpful.

^^

7. You may ignore this one, since its a small detail, but i just want to mention it. If you got Tonic and 100 G in Mayor's House in Truce, then talk with the Manor upstairs to get 300 G.

8. This is evil, but there is a hidden Treasure in Denadaro Mountains near the Cave-Entrance. You will find Gold Suit under Leaves, so its hard to see it.

9. At Proto Dome is a Power Tab hidden just beneath the Gate.

I will send you a email with 2 Screenshot to show where the 2 Treasure are.
Legends never dies.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:11:24 pm »
I got your screen shots.  I will go back and add those missed items to my maps.  Thanks for catching those.  Be sure to let me know if you come across anything else you find I missed on my way through.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 08:03:40 am »
The two corrected maps have been uploaded to my site and submitted to this one.

I'm currently working on the Northern Ruins (600 and 1000 AD).  Once that is finished all I will have left is: Giant's Claw (600 AD) and the Black Omen.

In response to the order of the maps, I would put them in the order you play them in if there was one order to play them in.  However people can go to different places in different orders, so that would make it a bit more confusing.  I guess if there was an official strategy guide for the game they could be put in the same order the guide lists them.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 06:14:22 pm »
I have uploaded 16 new maps and submitted them to this site.  At this point everything is done except for the Black Omen and the end Boss stuff after that.  Let me know if you catch anything in the newly uploaded maps that should be added or fixed.

Offline creaothceann

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:33 am »
1. There's also this map, iirc it's when the party fails to beat Lavos at some point and the "Day of Lavos" is shown. It's Mode7 and zooms around on the screen, and red indicators pop up.

2. Technically this is also a map: good end, bad end :)

3. This one?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:42:42 am by creaothceann »

Offline Paco

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:32 am »
10. You forgot to add Grimalkin (Blue Gargoyle) to Legend of Magus Lair.

11. After you fought Magus and returned to 65M BC the Trader will offer new Stuff. You should add them on Ioka Hut 1.

There are some minor stuff, so you may as well ignore them all or not:

- Add Frog to Legend of Cathedrale? This is where one meet him the first time.
- Spekkio as Kilwala is only the second form. The first form is the Frog and is only available if Crono is level 1-9.
- The Guy in Ioka Hut 3 give you a Tonic (On DS its 4 Potions) after you gotten the Dreamstone.
- Perhaps a Net would be better to mark the possible Paths going down in Reptite Lair? Since most Holes are not determined beforhand.
- If you have no Tonic at all, then the Rats in Lab 16 will steal 500 G instead each times.
- The Prices at Medina Market is also not set in stone and can vary depends on how badly you hurt Omnicrone and Hench.

That is all for today. Of course i'll continue researching your maps for any errors. :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:09:59 am by Paco »
Legends never dies.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 10:36:28 am »
creaothceann - I will look into adding those maps after I get the Black Omen and the end stuff done.  It looks like most of those are from the ending of the game and I have not gotten to that point yet.

Paco - I made changes to the maps for 10, 11 and the Frog.  They have been submitted to this site and uploaded to mine.  You can view the updated maps at:

http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/ChronoTrigger/ChronoTrigger600MagussLair.html
http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/ChronoTrigger/ChronoTrigger65mIokaHut1.html
http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/ChronoTrigger/ChronoTrigger600Cathedral.html

I was level 13 when I got to the End of Time so I never knew there was a form before that.  Do you have a save state for that?  I really don't feel like playing the game from the start again to get back to that point under level 10.  Either that or a code that would lower Crono's level that I can use on my save state :)

Offline Paco

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 11:11:45 am »
http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/ChronoTrigger/ChronoTrigger65mIokaHut1.html

There is still more to it:
- Dream Gun (Lucca +60 ATK) 3 Petals, 3 Fangs
- Dream Bow (Marle +60 ATK) 3 Petals, 3 Horns
- Magma Hand (Robo +70 ATK) 3 Petals, 3 Feathers
- Aeon Blade (Crono +70 ATK) 3 Fangs, 3 Horns

Ruby Vest and Rock Helm are the same as before.

I was level 13 when I got to the End of Time so I never knew there was a form before that.  Do you have a save state for that?  I really don't feel like playing the game from the start again to get back to that point under level 10.  Either that or a code that would lower Crono's level that I can use on my save state :)

Sorry, but i'm playin the DS-Version. Perhaps this will help you?
- http://www.rpglegion.com/chrono/sse/index.htm
- http://www.pjgalbraith.com/2006/06/chrono-trigger-save-state-editor/
- http://www.fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/ctsaves-srm.htm
Legends never dies.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:36 am »