Author Topic: New Transformers The Movie DVD coming soon  (Read 27552 times)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
New Transformers The Movie DVD coming soon
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:09:08 pm »
While I already have the movie on DVD, I was kinda bummed that Rhino skipped making it something special. Now Sony BMG is turning it into something worth buying again (at least for me). IGN DVD gives info and boxart.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: New Transformers The Movie DVD coming soon
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:44:02 pm »
User posted image

I bought the Transformers The Movie poster a long time ago but never put it up for some reason.  I'm sure you've all seen it...the Transformers introduced in the movie are firing up at Unicron.  I like how this is very similar, but instead shows the more "classic", pre-movie Transformers.  Oh, wait, maybe Blaster is "new".  I forget.  Still, it's cool.

On a related note:

User posted image

Sweet, but note: the DVD isn't included.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 10:12:15 pm »
I would consider Blaster as one of the G1 characters.

Funny how this art focuses on the original characters, where the original artwork served to introduce the new characters.

Is that Optimus a re-issue of a toy that was out a couple of years ago? Certainly looks like it, just with a new '20th Anniversary' logo. It was like $60, too much for me.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:32:03 pm »
It's the same toy, only with a new base with sound effects and rumors has is that it won't include "battle damage" paint like the first one. Only die-hard collectors would waste money by buying it a second time.

As for the comic, I'm really disappointed by the art. The reason why I like Don Figueroa's art so much is that not only is he the best at redesigning characters while still making them transformable, he always struck the perfect balance between the toy look and the cartoon look. Here, he's going straight for the same look as the movie, that is simplified, boxy characters with almost all alt-mode parts hidden. I'll most likely skip it because of the art (since seeing his detailled character models was what made me anticipate this comic).

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 09:09:55 am »
I just didn't remember Blaster as being in any of the pre-movie episodes, but it's not like I'm saying he's unwelcome at all.

I believe the MP-04 Optimus Prime is the best toy...it looks like that one, with the long stacks (gasp!) and the trailer as well.  Too bad they didn't go with this most popular design of Optimus for the live-action movie...

As for this 20th anniversary DVD of the movie (which is what this topic is about), I certainly hope there are some good extras.  I heard that there will be some "Transformers facts" submitted by fans (I guess they think they can depend on the fans for the fact-checking, which, though kind of sad, is probably necessary), and those will probably be those "pop-up" things that seem popular on DVDs, but there ought to be more than that.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 11:45:56 am »
According to this fan site: http://www.unicron.us/tf1985/index.leftcolumn.htm, Blaster appeared during the 'Dinosaur Island' 2 parter. Perceptor, Red Alert, Tracks, and a few others made their first appearance here too.

According to IGN, the pop ups will appear as a different version of the film, rather than something you can't control.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 12:50:56 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up, bustin98!  Obviously I'm not as well-versed in Transformers as I had hoped...time for me to pick up the DVDs of the entire G1 cartoon series.

Despite having watched it numerous times on VHS, I will likely buy this DVD.  My friend had the Canadian version of the movie on DVD (before it got stolen)...though I forget how it was different from the original US DVD release...but it was still pretty bare-boned.  I recall it had a video with a short interview with the composer (forgive me for forgetting his name at this moment) but little else.

I also remember that one chapter was called "Swear Word".  Sheesh.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 07:21:33 pm »
I have the movie on VHS and DVD. The main difference is on the VHS where the two 'swear' words were removed. When Spike and BumbleBee try to blow Unicron in the beginning, Spike says 'Shit'. Later when Ultra Magnus is trying to open the Matrix he says 'Open, damn it' (not word for word as I'm going by memory but you know what I mean). The DVD at least was uncut in that regard. Though no chapter is labeled 'swear word'.

You wacky canucks, aye.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 10:35:54 pm »
The man who composed the musical score is named Vince DiCola, and he also did Rocky IV (which has the same kind of electronic music). I was fortunate enough to buy the musical score when the annual TF convention, Botcon, did a limited CD pressing of it. I love it do death, and I firmly believe the movie wouldn't have been half as entertaining without it.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 11:41:16 pm »
I have the soundtrack on cassette, which has two songs by Vince on it. I have picked up a couple of score albums in my time and I was not happy with them. I prefer to stick with the Soundtracks.

The TF soundtrack is so awesome. It brings me back every time I listen to it. Even though most of the music is cheesey glam hair metal, with a sprinkling of Weird Al (never should have been added).

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 11:53:16 pm »
TerraEsperZ Said:
The man who composed the musical score is named Vince DiCola, and he also did Rocky IV (which has the same kind of electronic music).
Having seen Rocky IV on TV just last week, in fact, I noted how Ivan Drago's theme was similar to Unicron's!

Funny how we seem to talk about movies that I've recently seen.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 11:00:59 am »
I like the soundtrack, but I much prefer the musical score. It's pretty long and it really tells a complete story, from the attack on Autobot City (my favourite) to the revelation of Unicron's real form. In fact, I'm going to listen to it right now :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 09:52:21 pm »
Let's compare these pics:

User posted image
They both have Unicron up above, three Decepticons in the air, an Autobot commander in the middle, with one other Autobot to the left, two on the right, and one in the background visible between their legs.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 10:15:05 pm »
The main difference is that the first one is basically fooling the audience into thinking the old G1 cast are the stars of the movie, while the second is much more accurate, yet less likely to attract casual fans.

As an aside, despite the fact that they kill off a large portion of the old G1 bots in the first half of the movie, I thought the movie was pretty effective at introducing the new cast and giving them all distinct and likable personalities (except Wheelie the annoying rhyming kid of course, but fans got their wish when they killed him off in one of the official convention comic a number of years back).

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 06:14:15 pm »
This is the official one now, supposedly:

User posted image

Now compare the three: