Author Topic: Street Fighter X Mega Man  (Read 33719 times)

Offline Revned

Street Fighter X Mega Man
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:56:06 am »
I just found out about this today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-OMrOxyso

Looks pretty solid! Maybe I'll even map it over the holidays.

Offline snesmaster

Re: Street Fighter X Mega Man
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:19:55 pm »
Thanks for sharing, I had not heard of that yet.  I will definitely have to get that once it comes out!  I look forward to your maps of the game if you end up mapping it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 04:17:13 pm »
You beat me to it!  :P

Not to be picky, but I think it would make the most sense to have the eight "main" fighters from Street Fighter II be the eight Robot Masters.  (I'm sure I've thought of this before, even...)  Perhaps the Grand Masters could be in Wily's Castle.  I just say that because Rolento, Urien, and Rose appear in the trailer...

Besides Mega Man II, the arcade version of Street Fighter II also has an intro with a pan up a big building.  Capcom sure likes those.

Now if Street Fighter X Tekken uses the Street Fighter engine, and Tekken X Street Fighter uses the Tekken engine, shouldn't this game be called Mega Man X Street Fighter?  Or would the X confuse people (is it pronounced "X" as in the letter X/Mega Man X (not ten!) or "Cross" as it is in the Street Fighter/Tekken cases)?

And wow...overthinking it.

Anyway, whoa, next week for free on the PC?  Sweet.  I guess I can dust off the NES USB controller I have...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:43:08 am »
3 days until SFxMM goodness!

Can you tell I'm excited?

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:04:26 am »
Looks like the downloads are up already:
http://capcom-unity.com/mega_man

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:01:53 am »
Yaaay!  But aaagh, can't wait until I get home.

I did watch (maybe too much of) the two gameplay videos on YouTube where they look at the first eight stages...if you do map this game, I think you'll find it interesting.

There seem to be more areas with multiple paths to choose from.  One of the stages that is selectable at the beginning has it evident from the first screen that things are not as you might expect.

If not for the multiple paths (and the fact that the game is available on the PC for free so soon after the announcement) someone like TenguMan might have mapped it already based on the videos.  Remember when he mapped a couple stages of Mega Man 9 strictly based off the demo videos?  That was insane.  In a good way.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:19:39 am by JonLeung »

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:11:36 am »
I go to that link and it looks like it is just a forum to talk about Mega Man.  I see no download link.  Do you have to become a member of that forum first?

I finally found the real download page. For the US it is:
http://static.capcom.com/sfxmm/SFxMM_US.zip

For the EU version:
http://static.capcom.com/sfxmm/SFxMM_EU.zip
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:40:21 pm by snesmaster »

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:06:47 pm »
Just finished it (sans secret final boss). My thoughts: it's very easy, except for a couple of bosses. The level design is interesting and will make good maps, but it's not as good as the main games. Most of the time you can just casually walk past enemies without fighting them, for example. No tricky platforming whatsoever.

Those aside, it's very enjoyable and made for a great evening. It's a neat concept and I'm glad Capcom embraced it.

Mapping this won't be completely straightforward. There are a couple of levels that scroll against a solid background, which is always annoying. There are no save games, so I have to either never reboot my computer or likely end up playing through it multiple times. Maybe I should look into lossless video capture...

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 09:24:44 pm »
Press F4 multiple times to get to the 1x1 size of 256 x 224 for mapping.  I see F10 Pauses.  Escape quits the game.  Is anyone aware of any other features.  Was is the difference between US and EU versions?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:43:27 am »
I played through Chun-Li's and Dhalsim's stages yesterday, though I quit after defeating Dhalsim.  Knowing that there aren't saves or even a password feature, I'll do the serious play-through when I know I have enough uninterrupted time.  I've got three weeks off after this work week, so I'm sure it'll be soon enough.

You're right - not to put down the effort of the guy who made it - but the stage design feels a little different than the main games, somehow.  I shouldn't complain about any Mega Man game these days when we don't know if we're getting them ever again, though.  And yes, I'll still be looking forward to the maps, of course.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:36:20 am »
I farmed a bunch of lives in Chun-Li's stage, only to lose a bunch at C. Viper's with the laser!  >_<  But for the most part, the stages are fairly easy.  Kind of disappointed with the post-main-eight stages, though.

I gave up on my first "real" playthrough at the boss rematch because I didn't realize you could shoot the glowing orbs on the center to get a large energy unit (as well as a large weapon energy unit) - I just thought the game was being mean by not giving you anything after beating each boss.  :P

Beat the game and Akuma yesterday.  The trick is using an Energy Tank right before beating a boss to earn each "Perfect".  Though I did fluke out at Ryu and earned a Perfect without having to do that.  Wasted a couple Energy Tanks that way though, when I got hit before finishing them off.

TenguMan has started mapping Street Fighter X Mega Man, by the way...

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 11:46:52 am »
Guess I should have submitted my already completed Ryu map... Oh well, good luck, TenguMan.

EDIT: In case anyone is interested:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:14:53 pm by Revned »

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 01:30:30 pm »
If you add the enemy locations on your map, then both could be posted :)

Offline Revned

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 01:45:27 pm »
Not my style. At some point I'd like to make my own personal site to post my maps, and I'd include this. I have a number of maps from other games that I haven't submitted because other people's maps are already posted as well.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 04:14:54 pm »
Well be sure to post a link if you get your site up and running.  Did you use screen shots to map the game, and just remove your character from them?  I assume there was no way in that to turn off the sprites like you can in an emulator?