Author Topic: 2013/07: Breath Of Fire (Super NES) - Paco & Tropicon  (Read 19772 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2013/07: Breath Of Fire (Super NES) - Paco & Tropicon
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Paco & Tropicon's Breath Of Fire (Super NES) maps.

When the Dark Dragons kidnap Sara, it's up to her brother Ryu, a member of the Light Dragons, to save her.  Along the way he'll travel across the land, meet travelling companions, defeat the Dark Dragons and save the world.  Kind of standard RPG fare, but hey, it still works.

There are many great JRPGs in the 16-bit era.  Breath Of Fire is Capcom's contribution to the already-plentiful Super NES RPG scene which naturally leads to a few sequels.  Squaresoft, king of RPGs, actually published this first game in the series in North America.

Similarly, we have teamwork here for the completion of the maps for VGMaps.com.  Tropicon made the raw maps, and Paco did all the labelling.  Now you'll have no trouble getting around this vast world and finding all the treasures and defeating the Dark Dragons.

So to acknowledge the effort put into mapping this game as a team, Paco & Tropicon's Breath Of Fire (Super NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for July 2013.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:34:39 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

Re: 2013/07: Breath Of Fire (Super NES) - Paco & Tropicon
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:01:19 pm »
The nice thing about most SNES RPG mapping is once you have a walk through walls code it's smooth sailing.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:32 am »
When someone commends your hard work, you really don't have to downplay it by making it sound so easy.  >_>  Even if it was.

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:34:06 am »
Heh, sorry.  I always feel embarrassed when awarded.  I really do appreciate it.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:42:41 pm »
I also don't think Walk through walls alone makes it completely irrelevant work. For my Secret Of Evermore maps where I also had a walk through walls code, it still was much work because of the big number of maps and sometimes I had to wait for water/lava effects to have a specific cycle state so they would look the same on the full map. And I merged the screenshots all manually.

Nice work with these maps. The labels from Paco also fit.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 08:12:28 am »
I agree with Grizzly.  Even if you could merely dump the maps straight from the code, there's still the matter of figuring out how to do it, then actually doing it, followed by identifying the files and sorting the pieces.  Unmarked maps are still enough work as it is, and RPGs which are typically larger games tend to have a lot of maps.

Then to actually mark it all up with relevant info - again, even if you extracted that instead of searching everywhere and opening every chest, etc. - is still nothing to dismiss.

And as much as I love labelled RPG maps, there are many already.  But it's not about the games themselves.  Here, I think teamwork should be recognized.  I am glad both of you, Paco and Tropicon, worked together on these Breath Of Fire maps.  If it means better maps, or more efficiently-produced maps, I would like to see more collaborative efforts.