Author Topic: Hiden & unseen parts in maps  (Read 8287 times)

Offline GHS

Hiden & unseen parts in maps
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:36:41 am »
In some games that I have mapped I have seen parts that you could never see when playing the game. Take for instance Astyanax arcade. there are places you can only see when entering the map file in MAME (as well as other games).
Why do they make art work that is never seen?
And some games have unseen areas beyond the screens borders like Tiger Road and the Ninja Warriors(game ress is 864 but 960 is the size of the intro) 
Is there a difference what the system outputs and what is rendered internally?

Mined you this is only arcade games I'm taking about I don't know if its also the same for PCs and counsels.

Offline Trop

Re: Hiden & unseen parts in maps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »
This is true of most games I've mapped.  Collecting them is one of the fun parts of mapping.  They're probably just left out by designer choice, or maybe data size limits.  I can see creating something then cutting it later in production for any number of reasons only to leave it in the games code on account of laziness.

Offline GHS

Re: Hiden & unseen parts in maps
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:25 am »
does anyone remember the original RAINE emulator? it had an option to manually input the resolution, so in Ninja Warriors from 864H to 960H (it did not stretch it but show areas that are not rendered). that was an unintentional bug in the emulator, but that code is lost now the the newer versions. It seems back the the artists were not fully aware what ress. the hardware outputted.