Author Topic: Rokko Chan (PC, Flash)  (Read 31179 times)

Offline RT 55J

Rokko Chan (PC, Flash)
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:27:09 pm »
The game is availible here. It's a very well done Mega Man homage. I've always had the desire to map a Mega Man game, so I figured that this would be close enough to satisfy that particular itch.

Progress:
Hockey Man

Stages - Progress
Hockey Man - v1.0
Volcano Man - v1.0
Jet Man - v1.0
Rolling Man - v1.0
Forest Man - v1.0
Lightning Man - v1.1
Dr. Mad Stage 1 - 40%
Dr. Mad Stage 2 - 40%
Dr. Mad Stage 3 - 80%
Dr. Mad Stage 4 - 80%
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:00:12 pm by RT 55J »

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Rokko Chan (PC, Flash)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:24 pm »
I've never heard of this game but the map looks great. It might look better with the enemies included but I know how much additional work that entails.

In any case, I'm surprised to see that at first glance, the colors and tiles used seem to conform to the graphical limitations of the NES. Will you be mapping the rest of the game?
Current project:
Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP)

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:35:41 pm »
Very nice! Hadn't heard of it before, but it looks just like Mega Man, complete with E-Tanks, one-up heads and the Dr. M tile

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:49:44 am »
I might have considered adding enemies, but unlike Contra most of the enemies move (in Contra most all of the moving enemies are infinitely respawning with no proper placement). Also, I don't have any cool emulator tools like frame advance.

Next stage:

Volcano Man

The only thing missing is the boss's artwork from the credits.

Offline protomank

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:41:52 pm »
Thanks for those maps. please, keep them coming :D

Offline azoreseuropa

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:05:01 am »
Please keep them coming. We need those maps to finish.

Offline azoreseuropa

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:32:14 am »
The game is availible here. It's a very well done Mega Man homage. I've always had the desire to map a Mega Man game, so I figured that this would be close enough to satisfy that particular itch.

Progress:
Hockey Man

Stages - Progress
Hockey Man - v1.0
Volcano Man - v0.95
Jet Man - 80%
Rolling Man - 10%
Forest Man - 5%
Lightning Man
Dr. Mad Stage 1
Dr. Mad Stage 2
Dr. Mad Stage 3
Dr. Mad Stage 4

Very good but you need to update the newer version according to this:

http://king-soukutu.com/flash/rokko_updata.html

The latest version is v1.1.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 01:44:54 pm »
The version numbers in the first post refer to the maps I've made. They do not refer to the version of the game. All of my maps are made with the latest version of the game. If there is a specific error in any of my maps, please notify me.

Here's a new stage:

Lightning Man

I also made a minor update to Volcano Man (adding the art from the credits). Check the first post for more details.

Next up will probably be Jet Man. I have that almost all the way done, but I just need to figure out what to do with the moving platforms.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 02:36:12 pm »
*Double Posts*

Jet Man

I just decided to put the floating platforms at arbitrary locations along their main axis that looked good.

And before anybody asks: No, I am not going to attempt to properly map the 'flight sequence.'
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:38:38 pm by RT 55J »

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »
*Triple Posts*

Today's post is a double feature!

Rolling Man

Unfortunately, the map for this doesn't actually fit together when rotating the portions.

Forest Man

I also made a minor fix to Lightning Man's map (check the first post).

Offline azoreseuropa

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:13:33 am »
*Triple Posts*

Today's post is a double feature!

Rolling Man

Unfortunately, the map for this doesn't actually fit together when rotating the portions.

Don't worry about the rotating the portions at all because NES version doesn't have rotating things so no need for that. I prefer faithful to NES version and this is perfect without a rotating the portions.

Please continue, thanks.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 10:06:59 pm »
So, I see the rest of Rokko Chan's maps still haven't been finished and uploaded to the atlas' PC map branch yet. Their progresses are presently at a standstill.

I see RT 55J's done good work, but there's still more yet to be finished. IF RT 55J's around, well, I'm eager to see this done soon.

I enjoy seeing the nice somewhat indie equivalent of Mega Man's classic roots, that is, if it continued on the 8-bit path, despite many of its sound effects being played in less crisper qualities compared to lots heard crisp and clear from past games.

The good thing is thanks to fans of Rokko Chan not wanting to see the game lost to time, due do it being made in Flash, that game's been preserved for offline playability, so nobody has to worry about losing a thing, not even map progression.

All the people worked on that game did really good staying true to the 8-bit aesthetic Mega Man's past games had... perhaps a bit too closely in my perspective, due to how the bigger sprites for characters are, but doing it gets the job done. Asagen's responsibility for the game's sound and music really rocked it out there, too.

If Rokko Chan gets the hi-bit redux treatment, the term meaning the game to adhere to the pixel art and sound aesthetics of our past consoles, but not adhering too close to the past consoles' tech limits, well, I'd be up for that. Maybe see the game redone with widescreen support, purchasable support items, a bestiary, a few allies for Rokko, better sprite animation fluidity, more clearer graphics and actual parallax scrolling instead of static backgrounds adhered to the foregrounds' tilesets, crisp, clear sounds, cosmetics, and so on. And and actual ending seeing Dr. Mad's fortress crumble into scrap heaps and peace restored to the world after his defeat.

I kinda heard a sequel's supposed to be in development, but that's been at a standstill for who knows how long. Hope it gets back on track.

For those wanting to download and play the game, here's the link for it, couresty of news from Rockman Corner about that, as well as a few goodies to snag.

Rockman Corner's Rokko Chan Preservation Post - https://www.rockman-corner.com/2021/02/indie-flash-game-rokko-chan-has-been.html

The game's download link is there. Look for it, click it, then download and play it and have fun!

Any wanting to see the artbook already preserved as an alternative to downloading it, here's this link - https://archive.org/details/rokko-chan-artbook-20211005-t-174823-z-001/Rokko%20Chan%20Artbook-20211005T174823Z-001/Rokko%20Chan%20Artbook/rkc9.jpg

And, for those with a Twitter/X account to talk to King Soukutu, the creator responsible for the game, here's the link for it - https://x.com/king_75