Author Topic: Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance (GBA)  (Read 64444 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 03:28:50 pm »
You sir, have no taste in terms of pixel art :wink:

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 04:20:04 pm »
Very nice. I suppose I have to be mean, though, and point out that there are two clock faces on that tower, the way you have it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 04:20:43 pm »
I do, actually, that's why I want you to finish the maps.  *snap*

I hope you can find some way to put the whole map into a single image at a 1:1 scale (even if it's going to be hard for most people to even load up).  It's one of the things I've always wanted on VGMaps.com.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 05:27:11 pm »
Regarding the two clock faces, that's because Dracula isn't as mean as they make him to be, and the second face is so that the inhabitants on the other side of the castle can also see the time (the real explaination is that the animation if more varied and having only one clock face would require 72 frames of animation instead of 36, and I say screw you to that additional work).

As for the whole map in a single image, nope, ain't happening on this computer. I tried making images a bit smaller than it and Paint somehow managed to stay open with it (although any command would make my PC freeze for minutes on end) but it never had enough memory to save it. Paint Shop Pro is even worse in terms of memory needs and processing time. I'm afraid that as I said, someone else will have to assemble the parts together for a full map.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 06:54:55 pm »
JonLeung, that full map won't be coming from me unfrotunately. I just did some test and here are the result:

MS Paint: Can create the canvas in memory, but can't save the file!?

Paint Shop Pro: Can create & save the file, but won't let me paste anything into it!?

Looks like someone else will have to do it in my place.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 07:21:21 pm »
The clock tower reminds me of the Sega Saturn games that used the sprite-based 3d engines such as Bug! and Dark Savior.

Also the one machine I have only has 512 mb of ram (actually a little less since it has shared memory with the video card) and it has trouble with larger maps.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 09:39:22 pm »
I'm currently working on making vertical "slices" of the castles, whose size I can work with in Paint for the moment. The castles would thus each be separated in 4 slices.

I've made a half-size montage of all the maps so far, freely mixing maps from both Castle A & B. In passing, one cool thing about the game is that for a long time you aren't aware that there are two castles until you've visited every area. It's only then that Death reveals that there are two castles and that the teleporters you were using so far would send you from one to another, only you couldn't notice it since you were never seeing the same area. Anyway:

User posted image

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8117/hodhalfsizemixedmap8bituz4.png

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 07:10:25 pm »
Sky Walkway A:

User posted image

Woohoo! I finally found out how to make a clickable image on this damn board >:)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 05:05:56 pm »
Chapel Of Dissonance A:

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 05:30:02 pm »
At the rate that you're doing these, it seems as if you're enjoying your work!  Good stuff!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 03:05:45 pm »
This response is a little late, but still: yup, I'm really enjoying mapping this game. I have two free days until I leave again to visit more family so hopefully I can map 1 or 2 more areas during that time.

I'm also calling for help here: does anyone know of some utility which can merge together different images by pasting them one after another horizontally or vertically? I'm asking because no program so far on my computer can handle a full size map of the castle. Like I said previously, I've made instead 4 vertical 'slices' which will cover the whole castle, but I have no way to paste all 4 together in the same image. I was hoping there was some kind of utility, preferably a command-line one which would use less memory that could do the job. Any help would be appreciated :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 03:20:26 pm »
I could try to do it for you in Photoshop. I've got 1.5 GB of RAM. It will probably slow down a lot, but not crash.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 03:32:24 pm »
Cool then. I'll wait until both castle have been mapped and everything is in place though, but thansk for the (future) help :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 08:40:39 pm »
Aqueduct Of Dragons A:

User posted image

Only the Clock Tower A remaining, and then the equivalent of another whole castle :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 09:05:28 pm »
While mapping the Clock Tower (yet to be finished), I took a little break to take a stab at mapping Symphony Of The Night (PSX), which is proving to be near-fucking impossible. That's not a bad thing, considering I was merely trying to see how hard it would be.

I did challenge myself though to try at least to map the first stage which is basically the last stage from 'Dracula X: Rondo Of Blood', thus consists of only the last stairway leading to Dracula's chamber and even that is proving hard to map.

Anyway, while climbing said stairs, you can see the infamous Clock Tower I mentionned halfway down this thread, in all it's 3D goodness.

Well actually, after managing to extract the textures used by it, it's a pretty shitty 3D model. So I tried my best to render it in 2D sprite style like I did with the tower from Harmony, only using real textures this time. It was a bitch since I had no real tools to distort the textures into triangles and stuff like that, so it looks a little weird. Of course, part of that is due to the fact that the textures are mseed up to being with (for example, the clock face texture which should be a square is really a thin rectangle, which I had to enlarge and thus it doesn't look really good). Still, I'm pretty proud of it considering how lacking my spriting skills are.

Symphony Of The Night - 3D Clock Tower (seen from 2 different angles), captured in-game:

User posted image

Symphony Of The Night - 2D Clock Tower, assembled by hand by modifying/distorting the textures manually in MS Paint:

User posted image

And *no*, I will not do a rotating version of that nightmarish construction (it took me 2 hours to make the full sprite) :P

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)