Author Topic: Google @ GDC 2019 - what will they announce for gaming?  (Read 7614 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Google @ GDC 2019 - what will they announce for gaming?
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:06:14 am »

Google is getting into gaming - somehow.  A controller patent has been found, and this teaser for something to be revealed in three hours clearly states it will "unveil Google’s vision for the future of gaming."

Is it a new console?  Is it some kind of games-streaming service?  Will it be better than the Ouya?

Especially if it is a new console or device, how will it distinguish itself from the competition?

I don't know if I should be excited, but hey, I'm definitely intrigued.  How about you?

Offline Grizzly

Re: Google @ GDC 2019 - what will they announce for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 05:43:29 am »
I must say that I like the overall idea, but never as the only alternative to games.

I can definitely see the benefit over classic demos/advertisement because you just click on the game you want to try out and can instantly play some of the real beginning instead of going through the buying/download and installation process just to find out that you don't like the game as much as you initially thought after seeing "target render" gameplay videos and photographs.

But when I like a game, I would like to stop playing the streaming version and instead buy it as an offline-accessable version that I can play independently of any licensing problems that the online version might face.

The revolution of "access forever" that video recorders once brought to television shouldn't be completely abandoned in video gaming just for the "ease of initial access".
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:44:39 am by Grizzly »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Google @ GDC 2019 - what will they announce for gaming?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 10:09:48 am »
The idea of streaming games isn't new, I remember when OnLive was all about this.  But of course Google has the resources to make this more possible.

It's technically impressive, there is some potential for sure, assuming that enough people has access to that much Internet speed and bandwidth.

Of course, ultimately it comes down to the games, and to start, it seems like it's just going to be Western developers.  Maybe I'll be more interested if they get some more Japanese support...