Author Topic: Homestuck - Fanmade "Rex Duodecim Angelus" animation released  (Read 11390 times)

Online TerraEsperZ

I didn't think it was good etiquette to revive the previous MS Paint Adventures: Homestuck thread that hadn't been updated in almost three years. But just in case anyone here still cares about it despite the comic having been put on hold for the last 8 months, I have something good to share.

If you didn't know, there have been a rather large number of music albums released for the comic, with some songs that were featured in the various animations but others that are the work of artists exploring the characters and the setting musically. One interesting song was "Rex Duodecim Angelus" from the album "Alterniabound", a rather long song that aims to portray the epic battle between the Trolls and their 12 times prototyped Black King. It tells a story with a recurring motif for the Black King and features the themes of the individual Trolls, staging attacks and counterattacks and just being all around awesome.

Well, a group of fans has been trying for years to animate the whole thing but I personally never thought it would ever get finished, if only because there were so many people involved and such projects tend to die an ugly death mired in dispute. Turns out I was dead wrong and they just released the finished animation!

Of course, since several dozen people work on it including a whole bunch of artists with varying drawing styles and levels of skills, it's very uneven as a whole and the editing sometimes makes it difficult to understand what's going on. Some parts are quite ugly but when it looks good, it's just as good as the official animations and it certainly makes the final battle in Sgrub appear incredibly epic.

Have a look if you have 7 minutes to spare: [ S ] Rex Duodecim Angelus
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:22:03 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline tylerkendo

Re: Homestuck - Fanmade "Rex Duodecim Angelus" animation released
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:58 am »
I just watched first 2 mins, and it was quite good, will watch remaining later and post my review about it.

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:15:32 am »
Welcome to the board Tylerkendo! It's not too active right now, but we're always lurking around :).
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:17:42 pm »
Is Homestuck the reason why I always see dozens of people wearing grey makeup with candy corn-esque horns at every convention I've been to in the last few years?

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:57 pm »
Yup. Homestuck has a lot of nerd appeal, and we all know how obsessive nerds can be when they love something (I include myself in that by the way). It just seems weirder than usual because most people have never heard of it and the cosplay and the various memes make no sense at all without context.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:56:10 am by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:39:34 am »
I enjoyed all of Problem Sleuth, and remember when Homestuck began, but never found the time to really get into it.  I guess I'm impressed that it's gained quite a following.  When people seem to refer to it in similar contexts as other big names on convention floors that have been around for decades - you know, like Star Trek, Star Wars, Transformers, Doctor Who - it's really something.

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:59:53 am »
I wouldn't count on it having long lasting appeal though. It's strong now despite the comic having been on hiatus for close to a year but once the story's finished, it will most likely follow in the footsteps of those fandoms whose franchise has come and gone. A tiny bunch of hardcore fana will remain, while everyone else will have moved on to something else.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)