Author Topic: Hello everyone, I've got a question about the usage of these maps...  (Read 10369 times)

Offline Fionordequester

Now, I'm using a bunch of Dragon Warrior 1 (NES) maps created mainly by a guy called Chiasm for this Let's Play I'm doing on the game.  So, what I'm wondering is, what's generally common courtesy when using someone's maps?  Should I contact him/her and say I'm using their maps?  Leave a disclaimer in the map itself that they made it?  Basically, I'm not worried about copyright laws or anything, I just don't want to be a pill, that's all :) .
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:04:47 pm by Fionordequester »

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Hello everyone, I've got a question about the usage of these maps...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:32 pm »
Well, I can't speak about anyone else but myself, but a nod is always appreciated though not required. In the case where a map is displayed in part or as a whole in an article or a video, I think giving proper credit for the mapper's work is the right thing to do.

I know technically a game's graphics and map data are copyrighted and we have no claim whatsoever to them, but it can still take a lot of work to produce a map worth showing from a given game and that work deserves recognition, just like all fan works do when used or referenced.

In the present case, where the maps were simply used in preparation for the actual Let's Play, credits wouldn't be necessary in my mind but it would be a nice gesture to mention Chiasm somewhere in the video description, if only to stroke his/her ego a bit. It always feels nice :).
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Fionordequester

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:38:33 pm »
I see!  Thanks a lot Terra!  Actually, my LP is in screenshot format, so my first update actually uses the map itself, like this...

Of course, previously it looked like this...

But I did some editing to it in order to get rid of most of the white borders.  But I kept in who created the map, and his/her email!  So if what you say is true, that sounds like it should be good, right?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:12 am »
Have you tried contacting Chiasm, and any other mappers whose work you wish to use?  That's always the best bet.

In this case, if you're editing the images, I would say it becomes an especially relevant case.  As Terra said, the graphics are not owned by the mappers in the first place.  What the mapper might be able to "claim" and get credit for is the work in putting together a map, including details such as synchronizing animated sprites or how they handle parallax backgrounds.  Once you start changing things within the image...well, it might not necessarily be to their liking if you credit them while you change something they wouldn't do.

As per your example I notice something odd.  I see that you placed the indoor areas (that are normally hidden by the roof or whatever) into the map.  And you know, I get the point of it.  But when I look really closely I see that the east side of the stone wall blocks of those areas have a line of black pixels on the right of them not seen on the other wall blocks on the original map.  Now I see that he outlined each area including the indoor areas when he made them as somewhat separate maps, and that's what you may be pasting in, but the extra border of pixels isn't part of the original game.  Suppose Chiasm is a real stickler for pixel-perfection (and I imagine many mappers are).  He might not appreciate what could be seen as an error on a map with his name on it, especially when he didn't make the error himself.  And it doesn't even have to be an error, but any sort of change.  (Also, maybe he wouldn't like that the row of blocks that are horizontally aligned with the entrances still show the roof tiles instead of the wall blocks, which you would see when you're inside, as per the rest of the buildings.)

If that's not clear, imagine a famous piece of artwork like the Mona Lisa.  (Not comparing maps to that by any means, but just go along with it for example's sake.)  Say you copied it and altered it, like drew a mustache or a hat on it.  No matter how well-painted the mustache and/or hat are, you couldn't really say this new painting was by Leonardo da Vinci, could you?  A better thing to do would be to say the original image was by him, implying that it has since been altered.

Same in this case.  You have the right idea in acknowledging Chiasm, but I wouldn't say he totally made the map once it has been changed.  My recommendation is that you do your best to contact him, if you can't, then you'd better leave the map as it is.

I appreciate that you made this topic to ask, as I am all too familiar with people using maps without asking or even acknowledgement.

Offline Fionordequester

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 04:03:40 pm »
I see...huh, I never thought of all that...hmm...so you think I should say the ORIGINAL image was by Chiasm, not just say that the map was by him?  Or maybe find a way to recreate that font and have the black box say "Originally made by Chiasm.  Edited by Fionordequester"?  Like this?

I mean, the guy who made THAT particular map was Rick Bruns, but still, you know what I mean.  Anyways, I did send Chiasm an email, but unfortunately, he has yet to respond, so I guess we'll see how things go as far as that's concerned.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:00:06 pm by Fionordequester »