Author Topic: NINTENDO QUEST - An Unofficial Nintendo and NES Documentary! - Kickstarter  (Read 21772 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator

You may have heard of this when it was referred to as "The NES Club".  It's a documentary film about collecting every North American retail NES game in a month without online purchases.  Since I first heard of it, I was intrigued.  Though I missed the initial Kickstarter campaign, I'm drawing attention to this one, which is primarily to allow you to pre-order the DVD or Blu-Ray.  It is still ten months away...I can't wait!  But if you're interested, if you want to pre-order with some goodies in the "ULTIMATE COLLECTOR PACK!" tier, you'd better get on it soon, as there's only a few left...or if you can afford the ADVANCED SNEAK PEEK, there's only one left of those...

NINTENDO QUEST - An Unofficial Nintendo and NES Documentary!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:23:36 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Because Rob seems like a cool guy and this project is so awesome, I thought I'd help promote it, as you've probably seen on the front page.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:17:12 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
This might be of interest to you guys...if they reach their new stretch goal of $25,000, they'll make a NES game based on the adventure of collecting NES games, as seen in the film, which everyone who pledges $50 or more will get a cartridge of.  Now that is sweet!  If you haven't already, consider putting a pledge towards this if you love the NES.

Offline vorpal86

This is cool. It's tax time and I'll be getting a lot more back than normal. I think I might do this pledge.

You know this particular situation of collecting all the NA NES games would probably be impossible in the time-frame if all games had to include box, manual, cart, sleeve and styrofoam at bare minimum... Luckily they do not. =D

The video itself will be nice to see.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Big news: I'm working with director Rob McCallum to bring this film to an advanced screening in Edmonton, Alberta this autumn, with VGMaps.com as the sponsor!  Details TBA.

I am absolutely excited for this upcoming event.  The film will be, undoubtedly, a really intriguing and fun time all on its own, but it may also be a good community thing for the gamers in the area.

With about two weeks left, it may be possible to get that NES game at the $25k stretch goal...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Well, I couldn't pass up the chance to be featured in the game (if the stretch goal is reached and a NES game based on the documentary's adventure gets made) so I upped my pledge.

Now I'll be a boss character in the game!

Haven't yet worked out all the details of how my character will be represented, after all, that option was only recently announced.  Since my appearance will likely involve a mention of VGMaps.com, at the very least my defeat would drop a map allowing the player to find the next area.  That's pretty basic, but it's a start.  We don't even know for sure if the game is happening, but it's getting closer each day...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: NINTENDO QUEST - An Unofficial Nintendo and NES Documentary! - Kickstarter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:11:07 am »
Somehow forgot to mention here that the $25k stretch goal was successfully reached last evening, so now a NES game will be produced for every backer that puts in at least $50!

It's actually at $27k already this morning.  There's still about five days left, why not make a pledge?

You need at least $50 for the game.  A good tier is at $58, which gets you the Special Edition "Nintendo Quest" DVD, a bonus disc, 8-bit soundtrack on audio cassette, "The NES Club" NES replica cartridge (with box), and the NES game cartridge based on Nintendo Quest.  That's a really good deal, that won't break the bank, if you're into the NES at all, you should totally go for it!

And you can also pledge more for a Blu-Ray instead of a DVD, plus there are still some higher tiers available where you can be featured in the NES game!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:52:04 am »
Okay, sorry about spamming this, but there are less than two days left!

Besides that reminder, I should also point out that they added another stretch goal.  If they reach $35,000, there will be a game manual and a map with every copy of the NES game!  NES game manuals are always neat, and when a game comes with a little bonus like a mini-poster or map, wasn't that just the greatest?  And I know that we here love maps, don't we?

It's not far from $35k, BUT with less than two days remaining, and limited quantities of some tiers - as of this writing, there are only 16 left (EDIT: increased to 33) of the "Almost Ultimate DVD Collector Pack" - which is a really good deal (three discs including the film and bonus features, soundtrack, NES cart replica, new NES game on cartridge loosely based on the film's adventure, and possibly even a manual and map), you should probably consider pledging to this very soon if you haven't yet!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pyreusa/nintendo-quest-an-unofficial-nintendo-and-nes-docu
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:52:09 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 05:35:09 pm »
This is a little boastful but I used my Nintendo knowledge in The NES Club's Hangout trivia during their Kickstarter Wrap Up Party in the campaign's last three hours.  I knew most answers, but often wasn't the fastest.  But I was still fast enough to get the maximum of five points, including the last question, as well as the truly-last question.  Each correct answer earned a point for up to five chances in the draws for the prizes.  I won two VIP passes for the Waterloo Video Game Swap - do I know anyone in Waterloo, Ontario?  Thanks to Rob​ and Jay​!

Question: What is the first game Todd Rogers mentions in the trailer to having the world record on?
Answer: Zaxxon
(As seen here.)

Question: There was a pretty big game that I (Jay Bartlett) acquired from Syd Bolton.  What was that game?
Answer: Donkey Kong Jr. Math
(As seen here.)

Question: What are the two characters' names that you play as in Ice Climber?
Answer: Popo and Nana

Question: Name five classes that you can pick from in the original Final Fantasy for NES.
Answer: Fighter / Thief / Black Belt / Black Mage / White Mage (Red Mage is the sixth)

Question: In the arcade port of Mario Bros. for the NES, name the three primary enemy types.
Answer: Shellcreepers / Sidesteppers / Fighterflies

Won a VIP pass to the Waterloo Video Game Swap!
Won another VIP pass to the Waterloo Video Game Swap!

It'll be neat to meet these guys this autumn for the only screening in Western Canada.  Sure wish some of those theatres would get back to me with more information...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 06:05:37 pm »
I got my copy of the film a short while ago, so here is my spoiler-free review: https://www.vgmaps.com/Reviews/Review-Film-NintendoQuest.htm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:06:01 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Bentjudges

NINTENDO QUEST An Unofficial Nintendo and NES Documentary Kickstarter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 07:34:13 am »
And thats the dismissive attitude that leads to Nintendo saying, Just throw in Mario. People already love Mario. Were lucky Splatoon is going to be a new IP, because that almost happened.