Author Topic: Revned's maps site  (Read 11840 times)

Offline Revned

Revned's maps site
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:21:43 pm »
Shameless plug: I now have a personal site collecting my maps at git.io/revned

I've been meaning to do this for years. I'm no designer and I've been staring at it too long to even tell whether it looks good, but at least it's fast and hopefully usable. It's not super scalable, but good enough for my modest portfolio. Criticism welcome.

I reconstructed my map history as a git repo, which was an interesting process and lets me do some cool things like automatically generate the update history on the main page and the timestamps on each map.

There are a handful of maps which aren't on VGMaps: the manually modified Saturn SotN maps, some older ones which have been replaced, and also a Link's Awakening DX world map which I created but never submitted as I was mapping the dungeons.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:58:29 pm by Revned »

Offline Maxim

Re: Revned's maps site
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:26 am »
Note that git doesn't handle non-text files very well and Github will not let you upload large PSDs and will cut you off at 1GB total space (with history).

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 04:20:19 pm »
Oh I know. If you configure your git workspace to not do delta calculation for binary files, it's plenty fast for my content. I only have ~250MB of stuff.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:35:32 pm »
Neat. I've been thinking about consolidating my maps online for years but I never really took the time to see how I'd do it.

I know next to nothing about Github but I'd be willing to learn if it allowed me to do something similar to you. I'm also interested to know what's Github's policy regarding hotlinking, since fewer and fewer sites allow it nowadays.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 12:19:27 am »
Well, it's not really the right place to host images, but I estimated my usage beforehand and decided to go with it anyway so that I could get revision history (mostly for my own amusement). Imgur is the best option I'm aware of for no-strings-attached image hosting with embedding.

Other than that, they do provide a pretty nice platform for hosting static sites if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty. See https://pages.github.com/

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:13:11 pm »
I thought the same thing but I just got me a free drop box account and you can use your own hard drive to store your stuff or post it up. I think that's how it's working... Anyway..

Not a bad idea though sort of like Rick Burns has or had.. Not heard much about him in a while.