Author Topic: 2015/05: Captain America And The Avengers (NES) - Will Mallia  (Read 11418 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Will Mallia's Captain America And The Avengers (NES) maps.

When Iron Man and Vision are taken down, it's up to Captain America and Hawkeye to save the day in this NES platformer.  With intel from Wasp, you will make your way across the United States, and face supervillains including Crossbones, the Wizard, and Ultron.  Can the Avengers make their way to the Colony and save the world from the evil Red Skull?

Captain America And The Avengers on the NES is a platforming game from Data East, with a somewhat non-linear progression, unlike the beat-'em-ups on the Super NES and the arcade games of the same name.  While some individual stages are pretty straightforward, there are also a number of warehouse-like areas that are a bit more tricky.  In any case, Will Mallia's got you covered.  If there were ever an Ironman competition for mapping, Will Mallia's hawk-eye vision would leave everyone seeing red...or scarlet.  Which is to say, he's very thorough and quick.  Silver medal?  No way, the hulking mass of maps Will Mallia has made puts him on top in terms of numbers, despite everyone's fury.  If not for just this Captain America game, let's at least recognize Will Mallia's many contributions, what a wizard!  With mapping, he's quite adamant, man!

So to recognize the effort put into mapping with a vengeance, Will Mallia's Captain America And The Avengers (NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for May 2015.

Offline Will

Re: 2015/05: Captain America And The Avengers (NES) - Will Mallia
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:42:35 am »
I personally would have chosen the Mount Rushmore styled monument in "Avengers' Park" as the Map of the Month screenshot. Iron Man is my favourite of the four, but only Captain America and Hawkeye are playable. I Mapping the game would have been faster, if I didn't have to backtrack with both characters through the levels. By the near end of the game, the Rocket Ship made it possible to skip levels. The only map that could have been finished neatly if I had some way to fly or super jump is the Houston level. What is intriguing is that it's one of those platformer games with lots of little details around the levels. Bosses were difficult to beat (nothing save states can't solve). And so I'm very happy to be dedicated for this award of the month.