Author Topic: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)  (Read 36528 times)

Offline Revned

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:44:17 am »
Now that I've found a solution to my emulator troubles, I tried to force myself to map Link's Awakening. I mapped a couple rooms before getting very bored, so I decided I needed a new project. I've been meaning to map this game for a long time, and it interests me more at the moment than Link's Awakening. I've already finished the first stage. I'll post a preview tomorrow.

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:47:58 am »
Alright! Revned's back into the mapping fold :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 11:14:46 am »
Yay, the completion of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse will finish up another chapter in the NES Game Atlas recreation project!

(As of now, the only other complete chapter is Mega Mechanical Mayehm, the chapter on the NES Mega Man games.  And we have Revned to thank for doing the maps from the first four games.  Well, II and III and most of Mega Man (I) and IV, anyway.  And hasn't Revned also done the first Castlevania?

I guess those two series would fall under a possible Captain N sidekick recreation project as well...)

At the time, I didn't like Castlevania III's return to arcadey side-scrolling platform action (like the first) since by then I was already keen on more complex adventures like the less linear Castlevania II.  But for a platform game, Castlevania III is pretty good.  I like how there were other Belmonts (Trevor in this one), other vampire-hunting families (the Belnades) and trouble within Dracula's own family (the introduction of way-cool Alucard, despite the silly name and his silly look in this game) - it's like this game really expanded the Castlevania "universe".  That makes this game wicked (in a good way).  Can't wait to see it done!

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 12:32:04 pm »
Here's the first stage. I haven't added headers or anything yet.

User posted image

Two can play at the thumbnail game, TerraEsperZ :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 02:53:57 pm »
Ha! My thumbnails look much better than yours, since I didn't put in a black background unlike you!

But seriously, it looks great. Are you going to include hidden items in blocks too? Because I remember there being a Big Heart and a Pot Roast at the beginning of the last horizontal section on the left after climbing down the last stairs.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 03:24:20 pm »
I didn't in my Castlevania map, so I'm not sure. It'd be a pain to try to find them all, unless there's a list somewhere. Hmm.... I'll look in awhile, but then I'd feel obligated to update my Castlevania map too.

In other news, I finished another:

User posted image

I know it's not great for the thumbnail, but does anyone have a problem with the black background I'm using? It's not the same color as the black in the stage itself, so it's easy enough to separate them if need be. I briefly considered an outline, but I've never really liked them.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 03:39:42 pm »
Looking good so far.

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 03:55:25 pm »
Alright, alright, I'll do the items too. I found a level editor that shows them. I'll have to go back and fix my Castlevania map again sometime too.

Offline Revned

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 07:28:40 pm »
And another. I also included my header-in-progress. It's just the little map so far, but I like the way it's going.

User posted image

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 09:54:53 pm »
No, I haven't abandoned this already, I've just been busy lately. I'm heading off to college for the first time tomorrow.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 01:09:54 pm »
Whew, I'm finally back! And it's really cool to finally see this game mapped properly :) Oh, and I hope college doesn't hurt you too much :D !

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 02:12:45 pm »
Here are a few I've done recently:

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 02:44:54 pm »
Wow, you guys love Castlevania.  III, IV, Harmony, Symphony...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 02:57:39 pm »
Cool Revned. You know, it seems like the stairs connect better than in the first Castlevania; either that or you were very creative in your editing ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 03:12:04 pm »
You know, I actually am pretty new to the Castlevania series. I played the first one a couple of years ago, then mapped it. Then I played the other two NES ones a few months later, and I've only recently gotten into SotN. It just seems like every time I play a Castlevania game I'm drawn in by the atmosphere.