Author Topic: 2008/08: Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - rocktyt  (Read 17617 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2008/08: Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - rocktyt
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:02:02 pm »
User posted image
Metroid: Zero Mission

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to rocktyt's Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) maps.

Twenty-one years ago this month (or twenty-two if you live in Japan), gamers were introduced to the original Metroid game on the NES. In one of the first "retraversal" adventure games, bounty hunter Samus Aran ventures deep into Planet Zebes to stop the Space Pirates' misuse of Metroids. After destroying the Mother Brain and escaping an explosion, Samus removes the Varia Suit. The ending is hardly a spoiler to anyone now, but this reveals that Samus is a woman, more surprising in a time when video game heroines were uncommon.

More recently, Samus's original mission was revamped for the Game Boy Advance as Metroid: Zero Mission. While it's mostly a retelling of the same story, Zero Mission has better graphics, new items, more bosses, as well as a continuation of what happens after Samus removes her suit, allowing her to demonstrate her stealth skills and touching upon her origins as a defender of the Chozo.

rocktyt has recently mapped out the reimagined Zebes, including the new area, Chozodia.  It's nothing short of amazing to see every detail of each area of Zebes all at once.  Great job, rocktyt!  And zerofighter, too.  Be sure to check out their Metroid: Fusion maps, which are equally impressive!

So to recognize the effort put into mapping the definitive version of Samus's original adventure, rocktyt's Metroid: Zero Mission maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for August 2008.

Offline RT 55J

RE: 2008/08: Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - rocktyt
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:14:47 pm »
I find it funny that there are three sets of maps for this game.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman