Author Topic: YouTube channel! (JonLeung1)  (Read 83999 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
YouTube channel! (JonLeung1)
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:18:01 pm »

At long last, the first video of my YouTubing career is up!  Here on Nintendo's 127th birthday, I review my favourite book about its pre-video game era - "The History Of Nintendo: Volume 1 - 1889-1980".  I'm planning to do reviews on games, films, books, toys, as well as game discussion and gameplay and maybe just some general vlogging, so hopefully with varied content I'll have something you'll be interested in!  As they say, please Like, share, and subscribe!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:05:07 pm by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: YouTube channel!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:15:32 pm »
Subscribed!

On a more serious note, good first video. You seem pretty comfortable with the camera and I liked the humorous bits. The subject of course wasn't that interesting to me since I've had all three "The History of Nintendo" books for a few years now but you gave a pretty rounded look at the first one and I hope it gets more people interested in the series. I'm curious how relevant some of the information in the third book (NES/Famicom) might be in the English translated version since a lot of it is concerned with how the Famicom was released and supported in France.

Oh, I also wanted to offer some good news regarding the still unreleased fourth volume about the Game Boy family. A blog post by the author in June 2016 confirmed a tentative 2018 release. So it's going to be a while but it hasn't been abandoned!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:29:02 pm »
Thanks, Terra!

I hope I have the energy and time to make videos regularly.  It's taking a lot more time than I thought, with this first video coming a little over a month since I first started thinking about seriously YouTubing.  Even beyond the initial logistics and technical stuff, just the act of editing takes so long.  My previous editing efforts have just been music videos, trailers for game tournaments, and birthday or wedding slideshows, which typically don't involve dialogue, so those generally go by quicker, or at least more steadily.  This, not so quick.

Coincidentally, there were no VGMaps submissions during the time it took to put this together.  Funny time for a drought; perhaps it was a sign that I was meant to get that first video done in time.  I know I can't expect that to always be the case in the future, so let's hope I can manage my time so that anyone who's waiting for updates here or on my YouTube channel won't think any delay is because of the other.  I still have a full-time job on top of these efforts, too.  And I still need time for family, friends, church, and of course, playing games (I am already so behind as it is).

Despite what you said, I am actually not "pretty comfortable" in front of the camera, but thanks to the "magic" of editing, I take the best take out of several, which significantly cuts down on flub-ups, awkward pauses, nervous blabber ("uh", "um", "so like"), etc.  As I get more used to it I'll need fewer takes and then editing will hopefully be quicker.  Also, as part of personal development, I would think it should increase my comfort level with public speaking, and even improve techniques like projecting my voice to be heard and to assert confidence, etc.  I can tell that I'm still stiff in some places, but I guess since most of you guys haven't had much opportunity to interact with me in person, you probably couldn't tell.

I have a lot of books (my library just keeps growing, I just received Pat Contri's Ultimate Nintendo Guide To The NES Library last night!), and I won't always be talking about books, let alone six-year-old books, but I figured, and thankfully the timing was right for its 127th birthday, that as a Nintendo fan my first video should probably be about that.  I will also do gameplay and vlogging, both of which might show a more natural side of me.

But yes, please Like, share, subscribe, buy a Nintendo Quest DVD, etc., if you like it!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:36:32 am »

My second video is unscripted, probably obviously.  This turned out longer than I thought and unfortunately it took over five hours to render so I just missed posting it by the end of the day yesterday, which was the 20th anniversary of the Nintendo 64's North American launch.

Don't ask me how I forgot to talk about Super Smash Bros. and didn't mention Mario Kart 64 at all.  Or I could just say I assume everyone knows about them...  :P

But I did remember to mention one of our mappers here...Peardian, if you were wondering why I asked you how you prefer to pronounce your name, this is why!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 08:05:34 am »

Because I forgot so many games in my N64 retrospective, here's an addendum.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 09:09:17 am »
Got my first dislike on this latest one...

Could be because I called out Super Smash Bros. players who turn items off as "elitist".  If not that, then maybe it's someone who doesn't like when I referenced Jessica Chobot pointing out the proper pronunciation of "AT-AT".  Or it could be that even though this addendum was longer than expected, that I still failed to mention an N64 game that they love.

In any case, aside from it being noteworthy that I have to mention it, I won't let it get me down.  It actually kind of makes me feel "legit", as on the Internet, somebody's going to hate on anything.  Plus if I really am going to make a career out of this, it was bound to happen sometime.  And as a friend pointed out, getting a dislike probably means it's more than just friends and family watching my videos, so it's getting out there!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:53:34 am »

I share my thoughts on the Nintendo Switch reveal, including why I think the switch ability is a feature, not a "gimmick".  What do you think?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 08:50:40 am »

I know there are some Mega Man fans here!  In the "Mega Man: Robot Master Challenge", I ask six of my friends to try to name all 86 Robot Masters.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 10:41:16 pm »
An old idea (dating back to 2008), but may be the start of a new sub-series on my channel.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:32:37 pm »

An unboxing video will follow soon, probably in a day or two.  Hopefully sooner rather than later, so I can get back to Zelda: Breath Of The Wild!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:43 pm »

And, here's the unboxing video.  Hopefully now I can get to really playing it!  Anyone else get a Switch yet?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 08:27:30 am »
I review this hefty book, Pat The NES Punk's Ultimate Guide To The NES Library.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:19 pm »

Two of three Calgary Expo 2017 videos - the third will be an actual vlog of the event.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 07:58:15 am »
Took long enough, right?  I finally got my vlog of the Calgary Expo up last night.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 09:40:16 pm »
Another book, and hey, some VGMaps maps in print!