Author Topic: YouTube channel! (JonLeung1)  (Read 84232 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: YouTube channel! (JonLeung1)
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2021, 06:33:04 pm »

To fill the interim between videos, I decided to rerelease "Video Game Logic", my parody of Daft Punk's "Technologic".  The difference between this and the one from a few months ago is that I cut out the 30-second intro.  The video's analytics showed that a lot of people were tuning out before getting to the good part, so even though it took some work to match the original Daft Punk video frame-by-frame (ugh, that creepy doll), I figured it was best to cut it out.  Maybe this will have a better chance to go viral.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2021, 11:54:16 am »

It's been a while - I had some quick content on my channel - including some movie leaks that got taken down, LOL.  Back to original content, I am close to finishing my review of Bitmap Books's "A Guide To Japanese Role-Playing Games".  But I had to shift gears to quickly make a new episode of "The Geek Fiction Multiverse" to see how the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Fighter's Pass 2 characters are connected to Mario, with Sora (from Kingdom Hearts) being revealed only three days ago.  Probably one of the fastest videos I've ever made of this size!  This is one I'm proud not just because it's timely, but also technically.  Full subtitles, green on a shirt while using a green screen... fun times!  Let me know what you think!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2021, 11:41:43 am »

Bitmap Books's latest and largest book is "A Guide To Japanese Role-Playing Games". 665 role-playing games or series are thoroughly described in 652 pages. If you love JRPGs, you have to check out this massive tome. Is it as epic as it sounds? Find out in my book review! I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. I used some maps from VGMaps.com for the backgrounds, so thanks to DarkWolf, Jaromaru, Revned, Rick Bruns, Tropicon, and Troy Lundin.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2021, 09:40:38 pm »

I guess I forgot to post this the other day, kind of ironic because of how quickly I put these together.  Season 2 of the revival of Animaniacs was on Friday, and by the early afternoon that day, I had already edited and uploaded these.  This is the opening, but with all the word gags at the end edited together, from all of season 2, or both seasons.  That's the fastest I've edited two videos - I think the season 1 word gag compilation was a day later.

Don't worry, there's more of my own original content coming soon, including another book review, but it will be the first book I was given a copy of, directly from the authour, specifically to review!  That must mean I'm legit now, right?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2021, 04:53:51 pm »

This is a milestone video of sorts, as I am now a legit influencer!  Or I'd like to think so, since I was given this book for review purposes.  Despite doing 17 book reviews, this is the first time this has happened.  So that's exciting for me.

Rey (who you may know from VGMuseum.com) is the one who put together this book, "The NES Endings Compendium: Years 1985-1988".  As you can guess by the title, it covers the endings (over 150)  of early NES games.  If this book sells well, he will eventually do more and more years (1989 is enough for a whole book on its own), and hopefully be able to do all of them up to 1994.  I know you guys love the NES, so definitely check this out, and support Rey if you can!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2022, 11:48:12 am »

Any fans of Monkey Island here?  I'm particularly proud of this video, partly because (but also annoyed by the fact that) it took almost two months to put together.  Anyway, I unbox the Monkey Island Anthology from Limited Run Games.  Lots of booty in this treasure chest.  Putting the video together, though, I'm reminded... other than a few in-game maps from Monkey Island 2 (thanks, Will Mallia), we don't have any other maps from this series, which is really quite surprising...

You know, this thread isn't just about me posting my YouTube videos... you guys ARE allowed to post if you have any comments.  Constructive criticism is welcome, and actually appreciated, as I try to improve.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:57:41 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2022, 04:18:08 pm »

Super quick content here.  For those who saw my previous video, The Unboxing Of The Monkey Island Anthology, you may have noticed some Monkey Island references.  I decided to make a short video comparing those segments to how they looked in the original games.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2022, 02:20:20 am »
I love the Monkey Island series, too. Your video has lots of great references. I also like that you explain them in the subtitles for those who didn't play the games.

I started playing the games around 1992 when I began attending school (in the afternoons after school, of course). I can't remember much about the two last games because they were play-once-forget-fast titles for me. So I kind of understand that they don't get much attention in the book. But I also think that it's a missed opportunity.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2022, 03:32:38 pm »

Here are some Oculus Quest 2 (I guess it's now Meta Quest 2) videos of me playing Beat Saber in VR.  Mixed reality, as they call it, mixing live and in-game VR footage.  Because I'm still trying things out, I call these "tests", and they were originally left unlisted (so only my friends could view them) but today I have decided to make them public, despite the technical hiccups.

The first one was recorded using the Mixed Reality app WITHOUT a green screen, and wasn't even positioned properly to see the score and whatnot.  The later two were done with a new green screen, a new green floor, a new webcam (Logitech Brio), different software (Liv) and on my brother's laptop.  And the camera is positioned better so you can see my full body and the score.  So overall, it's much better, but there seem to be some portions of video that skip.  Not sure how to fix that, maybe my brother and I will fiddle with some settings.

I can certainly do more that just Beat Saber.  Let me know what you think.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2022, 07:01:27 am »

Latest book review, this time for Brett Weiss's "The NES Omnibus".  Wow, this one took a while to edit, but mostly due to random things I had to take care of in real life.  It's not easy being a YouTuber while also having a full-time job and also doing VGMaps.com and other things.  Anyway, enjoy this thorough look at some thorough books on the entire NES library.  I also go a bit nuts about one screen in Blaster Master that keeps coming up for some reason, and Brett Weiss hates the number 3 like Valve does...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2022, 03:40:23 pm »

I appear in Gamology's first episode of "Ask A Gamer" at 0:56 here, where I answer the question of what I think the most disappointing game is.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2022, 02:26:52 pm »

I appear in Gamology's third episode of "Ask A Gamer" at 3:50 here, where I answer the question of what game or game series needs (another) sequel.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2022, 02:28:06 pm »

I appear in Gamology's "Ask A Gamer" at 0:37 here, where I answer the question of what game was the first I played.  I said the ColecoVision version of Donkey Kong, but they showed footage of Donkey Kong 3 for some reason... at least they're making good use of my green screen.  The Little Samson cartridge you see in the thumbnail was from footage in response to a different question, which hasn't aired yet...  Maybe they wanted to use it for clickbait - that's right, I'm on the thumbnail!  It was a surprise to see myself when the video showed up in my feed when it was only 43 seconds old.

EDIT: They changed the thumbnail.  Here is the original:
EDIT: They may have changed it back...

Some of these people make me feel old when they talk about SoulCalibur or Pokémon: FireRed Version or New Super Mario Bros. or whatever as their first game...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:58:40 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2022, 11:35:53 pm »

After the relative success of the Monkey Island Anthology video, I wondered if I should do more unboxing.  I figured I should get the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection - Limited Edition.  The collection itself is of thirteen classic Turtles games, and the Limited Edition includes physical collectible goodies.  That's what his video is about.  Are you a Ninja Turtles fan?  Also, do you like the thumbnail?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2022, 10:02:17 am »

I appear TWICE in this episode of Gamology - at 1:24 and 4:07 here, where I answer the question of what video games are overrated/underrated!  Yes, I have controversial opinions about Zelda!

To clarify, I do love The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, and I did get all 900 Korok Seeds.  I just think that after a couple years - let alone five - it's time to move on.  No matter how good a game is, it seems ridiculous to hang on to that when there are so many other games to experience.

And as for The Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GameCube), it is too frequently confused with just Four Swords (GBA).  While Four Swords Adventures IS intended to be played with four players each with their own GBA and GBA-GC Link Cable, you CAN play the game with only one or two players using REGULAR GameCube controllers.  So many Zelda fans have deprived themselves of another Zelda adventure (even if this one is very linear) just because they don't understand this.  If anything, it's a good-looking game - it's got A Link To The Past's style, but embellished!  We have some maps of them here on VGMaps.com, courtesy of PiranhaPlant...