Author Topic: Castlevania - Dracula X (SNES) continued  (Read 12630 times)

Offline MagnetiC

Castlevania - Dracula X (SNES) continued
« on: September 29, 2006, 11:30:02 am »
I hope it's not a problem to open a new topic, since my previous one got deleted yesterday when the board was messed up. If it is, I apologize.

To continue with Revned's comments about the stairs of stage 3, I agree with you that they don't look all that good. So either I keep everything divided on every map or combine where I can (without it looking too awful) and divide the parts that are impossible or too weird to combine. The latter seems favorable since most people like the combined maps best.

Anyway, I finished mapping stages 4, 5 and 6. I've completed most parts of 4', so really only 5' and 7 left to do. Here they are:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vanhelvo/blaat/stage4.png

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vanhelvo/blaat/stage5.png

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vanhelvo/blaat/stage6.png

Look here if you want to see previous maps:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vanhelvo/blaat/

---

Ignorance is bliss.
Ignorance is bliss.

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Castlevania - Dracula X (SNES) continued
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 02:18:32 pm »
I like how good these look! Like you said, I think it would be best to combine the maps where possible and use those dots to connect parts that don't fit.

I'd like to make a few comments, most of which are my personal opinion, so feel free to accept or dismiss some of them:

Stage 4: I think the 3rd and 4th sections connect rather well except for a small difference in ceiling height that still looks natural. Also, the bottom-most gear in the 4th section is a bit messed up in its topmost pixels; probably the result of a cut-and-paste.

Stage 5: I think the 2nd and 3rd part would connect very well since they use practically the same stairs except for the colors.

Well, that's mostly it. I'm eager to see the rest :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline MagnetiC

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 02:01:11 pm »
I finished every stage now and uploaded all of them. I connected parts as much as possible and fixed the mistake in stage 4 (thanks Terra). If anyone else sees a mistake or thinks some parts really shouldn't have been combined; let me know. Otherwise I'm gonna send them to Jon tomorrow.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vanhelvo/blaat.html

By the way, when you have multiple maps of the same game, do you submit them all separately or can you send them all in one?

---

Ignorance is bliss.
Ignorance is bliss.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 02:20:53 pm »
I think the final results speak for themselves ;)

The only spot I think looks weird is in Stage 7, specifically how the 6th and 7th part connect together. I seem to remember that you had to take the upper path and jump from one platform to another to reach the exit to the next corridor but on your map, it appears that it's the bottom path that leads to it. I would line up the floors to show that continuity.

Otherwise, everything looks really nice, and I like that you also included the two possible bosses for Stage 6 depending on whether you saved Annet or not. Regarding that condition, maybe you could add the names of the hostages you can rescue  so that players can make out quickly who to save and how to get there, but that's it.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 11:33:22 am »
It's up.  I didn't realize there were different forms of Death (I'm assuming) depending on whether or not you save that one girl.  Dracula X was just one of those games I blazed through once and didn't think there was much more to it.

Is the Maria in this game the same Maria as in Symphony Of The Night?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 12:25:20 pm »
Yes, it's the same Maria, but those aren't different forms of Death. Rather, you fight Death is Annet has been rescued; if she hasn't, you fight her while she's demonically possessed or something.

I think those maps look perfect. Another Castlevania game mapped!

Now, who's up to map Rondo Of Blood :D ?

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline MagnetiC

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:00:31 am »
Someone said something about mapping Rondo Of Blood in my first topic. I think it was DarkWolf but I'm not sure. I'll just stick to SNES games for now :)

Pocky & Rocky is the next game I'm going to try and map, so far it seems very doable for me.

---

Ignorance is bliss.
Ignorance is bliss.