Author Topic: Modernising the lists?  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Mikemc

Modernising the lists?
« on: July 27, 2019, 12:04:01 am »
Have you thought of modernising the site with CSS or at the very least splitting the lists among A-Z pages to make them simpler to load on mobile?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Modernising the lists?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 03:41:25 pm »
Oh, it's been thought about.  I am very well aware that the site looks like something from 1997.

There are a couple of issues, but it's mostly my lack of willingness to put in the time to learn something new (I do have a YouTube channel, other personal projects and things to do), and also my lack of trust to ask someone to do it for me.  I realize how really stupid both of those sound, even moreso when I type that out.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", they say.  But I guess while not necessarily broken, the site being more than a little unwieldy and outdated isn't really much better...

I would certainly be open to a system that is easier than the current process, such as one that allows maps to be uploaded easily and with all its info automatically displayed without me having to type in filesizes and image areas, etc., basically anything that would save me a ton of time.  The trick is figuring out how to start making changes when there is already so much content.

I do have some real-life friends that know about computer stuff.  I could bring up the idea of working on it with them.  I've shied away from working with friends in case things go sour, because that's happened before, but I'm probably being paranoid.

I'm open to suggestions.  Well, open to hearing/reading them at least, I honestly don't want to promise anything.

Offline G.E.R.

Re: Modernising the lists?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 12:44:41 am »
I'm surprised that you are edit the HTML-tables on the site manually for 17 years. It's a very hard work and it need a great patience and interest in this work.
This problem is solved by a simple 110-line program

I see nothing wrong with that the site looks like as 1997 style. All necessary data is present there, without unnecessary elements (which only get in the way, usually).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:47:41 am by G.E.R. »