Author Topic: Sega Genesis Mini - full map set  (Read 37015 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Sega Genesis Mini - full map set
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2023, 08:40:29 am »
Why you think that ToeJam & Earl is incomplete?

As mentioned above, I understand there are the Fixed World levels and some Random World levels.  I haven't really played the game to understand how it works.  I just wonder if there's a way to represent the Random World levels, like is there a bank of possible levels that are different than the Fixed World levels?  Are there possible pieces that the levels are made of?  Could there be images of numerous examples, just so we have the graphics available (if they are any different than the Fixed World levels), that kind of thing.

I might as well load up the game today and take a look.  If everyone is sure mapping anything of the Random World is worthless or futile, then I will mark it as done.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2023, 02:07:25 pm »
Well, G.E.R., one thing that definitely isn't in question is that you are really coming through for us!

G.E.R.'s submitted yet another two games for the Genesis Mini, only a day later.  We now have Alisia Dragoon and Strider!

Thanks, G.E.R.!

I was honestly surprised that we didn't have maps of Strider, specifically the Genesis one, until now.  But that's remedied.

Now that these platformers are among those with a "complete" status, looks like the only Genesis Mini platformer left is Gunstar Heroes... also a surprising omission.
(This is also in my own personal requests list, along with the GBA's Gunstar Super Heroes.)

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2023, 08:14:35 am »
Yes, I was play Gunstar Heroes and I think I can rip it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 11:46:56 am by G.E.R. »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2023, 02:02:20 pm »
Another huge update, once again courtesy of G.E.R.!

Today, we now have maps of:
-Gunstar Heroes, a cult classic that I had personally requested,
-Super Fantasy Zone (E), which wasn't originally released in North America so I guess I should put the "(E)" on it,
-Thunder Force III, which I'm not sure if I should link Thunder Spirits (Super NES) to, and
-Virtua Fighter 2, which I'm not sure if it should be called "Virtua Fighter 2 Genesis", but in any case, is not the arcade/Saturn hit with the groundbreaking polygons...

Thanks, G.E.R.!  You've done eight games in half a week!  What a great few days it's been, and we are grateful for you and your hard work!

While we're checking things off, I've decided to mark down ToeJam & Earl as COMPLETE as well, just as you guys have been trying to get me to do.

So we're now up to 36/40, with only four games left to do.  Or 36/42, if we count Darius and Tetris.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2023, 04:50:16 am »
I was play Darius and Tetris on Gens emulator.
Darius comprises 26 non-platformed linear levels and I ripped them like Thunder Force III.
Tetris is specific game and I found only 4 images that can be ripped - a foreground frame (main play area) and various backgrounds. I don't shure that it is informative and usefull but I ripped it too for for completeness SGM map set.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2023, 11:45:39 am »
Indeed, G.E.R., your maps for Darius and Tetris are now up.

I don't know why I was originally concerned about these two "bonus games", as the ROMs for both are easily available and playable in Genesis emulators, so they're like any other Genesis game.  Indeed, Tetris is a funny one, as are other puzzle games like it.  Thanks for mapping what you could!

G.E.R., you have mapped/completed ten of the games on this list this week alone!

So now we're at 38/42... could it be possible to get this fully mapped?

Well, all that remains are:
-Eternal Champions - a fighting game, shouldn't be too hard
-Phantasy Star IV: The End Of The Millennium - an RPG - I noticed Dammit 9x started this 15 years ago (!), I'll see if he made any more maps since then, if he has any interest in completing it, or if someone else is willing to do it
-Road Rash II
-Space Harrier II
Those last two have a behind-the-character-as-they-move-forward perspective, so they can't be mapped conventionally.  I feel like there should be some way to get them on the site somehow...

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2023, 12:34:29 pm »
Phantasy Star IV include view-from-above locations and world maps. Dammit 9x ripped only world maps.
I wasn't play it and I don't know what is the game about, but I think all locations can be ripped by using Gens emulator with debug functions and Screenshot Autostitcher.

Road Rash II and Space Harrier II hasn't any "classic" maps and I think that original type is only way to get them.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2023, 11:48:39 am »
I got a hold of Dammit 9x, and he says he's submitted everything that he has.  He says,

"I have not done any work of this kind for a long time and I don't expect to continue. Other mappers are free to build on what is available."

So if anyone is interested in mapping Phantasy Star IV - which, as an RPG, I understand is quite an undertaking - at least you don't have to be concerned about anyone calling dibs.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2023, 09:50:08 am »
G.E.R.'s submitted full maps of Eternal Champions!

Since July 30, only eight days ago, G.E.R. has mapped out 10.7 games (10 games on his own, and the remaining five maps of Ghouls 'N Ghosts).  That's literally just over 1/4 of the 42 games, in just barely over a week.  Funny how that's so much progress in such a short amount of time, considering this topic is four years old this month.

G.E.R had actually contributed more earlier, including doing all or most of four other games and contributions on two more.  Thank you for all your hard work!

But, of course, while G.E.R. really came through, especially with this colossal push, he isn't the only one involved in this by far.  This all couldn't have been done without the help of so many other mappers, including John Brain, DarkWolf, George s, TerraEsperZ, xyzbilliu, Dammit 9x, Vorpal86, Anonymous, Tymbrimi, zagato blackfist, Cleeem, ScHlAuChi, Apocalypse612, Grizzly, Geminiman, Stealth, Ultragm2003, Captain Drake, Jester, Spinjump, and WKSchraff.  Thanks again, everybody!

That's not to say we're done, I'm just not sure how soon we will be from here on.

I'm still hoping we can get maps for Phantasy Star IV: The End Of The Millennium.  And that someone comes up with something creative for Road Rash II and Space Harrier II.

Should I add the games from the Japanese and Asian versions of the Genesis Mini?  There are some games on those that weren't originally Japanese or Asian exclusives, like MUSHA, Revenge Of Shinobi, Snow Bros., and Target Earth, so those should probably be on the list too, right?  And of course, we accept maps for games from any region.  (Though I guess I didn't expand the selections on the NES: Classic Edition and Super NES: Classic Edition topics to include the Famicom and Super Famicom counterparts.  Hmmm.)

Then after that, should I consider making the request list for the Genesis Mini 2?  Would there be interest in that?  That has more games and even some Sega CD games.  (Funnily enough, the Genesis Mini 2 also includes Space Harrier II - but a different version...)  Should it be part of this topic thread, or a separate one?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:54:38 pm by JonLeung »

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2023, 11:27:42 am »
I never play Road Rash II and Space Harrier II and I don't know what is this games about. If someone figure out how to make this maps, it will awesome

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2023, 05:22:22 pm »
I never play Road Rash II and Space Harrier II and I don't know what is this games about. If someone figure out how to make this maps, it will awesome

Well, G.E.R., looks like that person is you!

Your maps for Road Rash II and Space Harrier II are now up.
I wasn't sure HOW they could be mapped (as in, on a technical level), but they do look like how I expected them to.  Glad they were indeed possible after all!

The only issue is that all the Road Rash II maps - with the exception of the Alaska one - are too big for my browser to view.  Probably just the image area, I'm guessing that anything over 30000 pixels (or probably something binary like 32768 pixels) seems to be problematic.  But they download okay.

Also, the updated Alisia Dragoon maps you revised with Cleeem's help in this topic have been uploaded as well.

And now, all that's left to complete the mapping for all of the original Sega Genesis Mini are maps for Phantasy Star (IV): The End Of The Millennium...

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2023, 10:16:50 pm »
I think no need for a big size Road Rash II maps, then hasn't any objects.
I compressed it to size 3000px and 100kB - https://disk.yandex.ru/d/ze-qcUDmv5dq7Q may you replace them?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2023, 09:10:35 am »
I think no need for a big size Road Rash II maps, then hasn't any objects.
I compressed it to size 3000px and 100kB - may you replace them?

That makes sense; these are much more reasonable.  Thanks again so much!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2023, 03:41:30 pm »
As someone who exclusively sticks to screenshot maps, I'm glad to see people like G.E.R. take on weird games like Road Rash II and Space Harrer II and actually figuring out a way to map them!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2023, 10:51:29 am »
And now, all that's left to complete the mapping for all of the original Sega Genesis Mini are maps for Phantasy Star (IV): The End Of The Millennium...

Anybody working on them at the moment?