Author Topic: 2019/10: Demon's Crest (Super NES) - Will Mallia  (Read 10203 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2019/10: Demon's Crest (Super NES) - Will Mallia
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:40:33 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Will Mallia's Demon's Crest (Super NES) maps.

The inhabitants of the Demon Realm fight to possess six elemental crests of Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Time and Heaven.  Obtaining all of them allows access to the Crest of Infinity which grants its holder infinite power.  Firebrand - the gargoyle you might know from the Gargoyle's Quest games, and originally from the Ghosts 'n Goblins series - is the antihero you play here, as you try to stop another demon named Phalanx from acquiring the Crest of Infinity.

A sort of underrated game, Demon's Crest still manages to make it in  the initial wave of twenty Super NES offerings for the Nintendo Switch Online service.  And why not?  The gameplay is solid, the story has multiple endings, the graphics are detailed, you might even say gorgeous, despite its macabre theme.  So even though its sales back in the days weren't so great, the Switch's sales right now are awesome, so chances are, you already have access to this adventure!  Go stop Phalanx and take over the Demon Realm for yourself, if you dare!  Will Mallia's maps might help - even if the game isn't quite as gruellingly difficult as the Ghosts 'n Goblins or Ghouls 'n Ghosts games to require a guide, they're still nice to take a gander at, in that gorgeous yet ghoulish way.  Go, gargoyle guy!

So to recognize the effort put into mapping this heck of a good time, Will Mallia's Demon's Crest (Super NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for October 2019.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:22:12 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Will

Re: 2019/10: Demon's Crest (Super NES) - Will Mallia
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:03:45 am »
A fitting choice for Halloween and my most favourite game in the SNES library. Those maps truly are my masterpieces. It is unfortunate that series didn't not expand as well as the Castlevania series did. The nice addition from this game over its prequels is that your flight hover ability is not limited. Many of those maps were difficult to piece together due to multiple layers, especially the areas with water (aided by a cheated kindly provided on this very forum). My favourite stage is the "Towers of Doom" with all that vertical scaling up walls and making the best use of true flight. It feels nice to be an antihero in a game for a change and a demon is not a species you get to play as very often. Its an honour to receive this month award and I wish you all a Happy Halloween.

Offline eishiya

Re: 2019/10: Demon's Crest (Super NES) - Will Mallia
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 10:45:44 am »
I'm glad to see this game get more recognition! I thought it was great-looking when I saw it in a speedrun marathon, and it's one I now always look forward to seeing at those events. I didn't even realise it'd been mapped, thanks Will! You did a good job and deserve the recognition just as much as this game does :D