Author Topic: 2006/12: Aunt Arctic Adventure (Amiga) - Grizzly  (Read 21013 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2006/12: Aunt Arctic Adventure (Amiga) - Grizzly
« on: November 30, 2006, 08:43:54 pm »
User posted image
Aunt Arctic Adventure

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Grizzly's Aunt Arctic Adventure (Amiga) maps.

Charlie the chimp's aunt has been kidnapped, and forced to work as a circus performer in the arctic.  In this game, you will guide Charlie, as well as his friend Penguin Pete, through 50 levels of platforming action in order to rescue her.

Past Maps Of The Month have been for the more popular systems.  We've honoured maps from games of the NES, the Super NES, the various Game Boys, the Genesis, and the PC.  But just because you haven't played - or even heard of - a game on an obscure platform doesn't mean its maps can't be worthy!

Grizzly, who seems to like taking on the more obscure games, sent in these Aunt Arctic Adventure maps as one of his first submissions a couple years ago, which opened up the Amiga section, which today is still entirely his.  The 39th level of this game was also the 2000th map to be hosted on VGMaps.com.

The game isn't a simple platform game.  There are some puzzlish elements, bizarre stage layouts, and many bananas to collect, but if the game is too challenging, the maps will spell out what the entire levels look like.  These maps could save you from trouble - and this game from obscurity.  As of today, the game isn't even listed on GameFAQs!

So to recognize the effort put into making these obscure yet worthy maps, Grizzly's Aunt Arctic Adventure maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for December 2006.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: 2006/12: Aunt Arctic Adventure (Amiga) - Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 07:18:42 pm »
(Shawno19 didn't have anything bad to say about Grizzly's maps, I just possessed him to see if Level 10 users could reply on this board, since no one has done that for a while.)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 10:34:12 pm »
I randomly browsed through the maps for a bit. From what I can tell, the point of the game is to go down one huge cave to rescue somebody. Assuming that 16 pixels equal 1 meter, the cave would be roughly 2.5 kilometers (1.5 miles) deep.

All I have to say is that's gonna been quite a long return trip.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 10:42:19 pm »
LOL, 16 pixels to one meter?  That's actually a good approximation for some games, actually.

Assuming that many game heroes are 2 tiles tall, or 32 pixels, and many of those are around 6 feet tall, or close to 2 meters, then 16 pixels or one tile = one meter.

I can't even imagine how deep or tall some games would be...like Bubble Bobble.  o_0