Author Topic: Faery Tale Adventure (Genesis)  (Read 23365 times)

Offline DarkWolf

Faery Tale Adventure (Genesis)
« on: October 11, 2006, 02:34:02 pm »
I'm planning on doing the whole world map for this game.  Unfortunately doing it at 1:1 scale is pretty much impossible on a work station.  The image would be 30,730 by 29,696 pixels, and 1 GB of ram just isn't going to cut it.

So I've decided on 1:4, which will be 7680 by 7424.  Still, a very large map.  The scale reduction shouldn't hurt too much, since although the game has a huge map, it lacks a lot of detail.

Game info

Offline mephea

RE: Faery Tale Adventure (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:06:41 pm »
good luck..sounds tough 0-o

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 03:52:24 pm »
You could always do what KingKuros did with The 7th Saga and do partial maps at 1:1 scale with a 1:4 map which shows the whole world?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:44:51 pm »
I may do an HTML table map, where each tile image is loaded into a cell.  Most browsers seem to be able to display this without too much trouble.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:46:04 am »
CANCELED:

The game changes the tiles in certain areas of the map to look different so there are inconsistancies when everything is put together.

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 05:30:12 am »
Hey DarkWolf, do you still have any work-in-progress material left of your Faery Tale Adventure map project? I would be glad to see any maps of this game even if they are broken.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 06:36:18 am »
Oh yeah I still have the scripts and probably some of the results of the attempt.  In fact if someone could send me a save state where they have the swan, I could probably finish it.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:13:01 am »
I wonder what would be the biggest overworld screenshot map ever made in a game? Using the close-up map from Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion would certainly be among the biggest, but in terms of maps of the playing area, Faery Tale Adventure sure seems among the largest. I wonder if any of the Ultima game, particularily the 6th and 7th, would have a larger map...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:18:31 pm »
TerraEsperZ Said:
I wonder what would be the biggest overworld screenshot map ever made in a game? Using the close-up map from Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion would certainly be among the biggest, but in terms of maps of the playing area, Faery Tale Adventure sure seems among the largest. I wonder if any of the Ultima game, particularily the 6th and 7th, would have a larger map...

Funnily enough, though I rarely go to GameFAQs these days, I believe the top ten list yesterday was of the ten biggest games (and by that they meant game worlds), and apparently the world of Elder Scrolls II totally dwarfs that of Elder Scrolls IV.

Ultima VI and VII are awesome.  I suppose long-running RPG series peak at about the sixth or seventh, eh?  *glances over at some Chocobos*

I believe Ian-Albert.com has the full map(s) of Ultima VI and/or VII, which I would love to have on VGMaps.com if only he hadn't made them.  :P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 03:09:59 pm »
Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 don't really count though since the maps are mostly generated randomly. I was talking more about a static map worth mapping that would be the same for everyone playing.

The strength of Morrowind and Oblivion is that even though their worlds are much, *much* smaller than those of their predecessors, they were made "by hand" so-to-speak, and all the areas, dungeons and cities are unique and the world feels alive, whereas Arena and Dagerfall are incredibly boring because everything looks the same.

And, maps aside, I'd love to play Oblivion is my computer was powerful enough. I've always hated RPGs because of the turn-based/point-based fights, so being able to fight in real time makes it very attractive.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 03:20:26 pm »
I can send you a savestate with the swan.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »
You'll have to wait until I finish it to see anything.  The 1/4 map is about 7 MB.

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »
No need to hurry.

7 MB, wow. Please make a low quality version too. :)

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 06:22:13 am »
About the map sizes in general, I think Faery Tale Adventure may have larger map area than Ultima VII, but the character walks slower and there are less NPCs and actual locations, so from the gameplay point of view, Ultima is larger. It's easy to make a map larger by reducing the size and the speed of the player character. Also, Faery Tale Adventure has the LONGEST straight hallway I've ever seen in any game. Maybe Darkwolf could post an image of it with the player standing in the end of it? That would be a funny image. (It's easy to go there with the swan, but I could send a savestate from that location.)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 07:35:44 am »
I may do the dungeons, it looks like they are under the world map data, but I haven't check it out yet.