Author Topic: Full map set for Sonic the Hedgehog's games  (Read 18808 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Full map set for Sonic the Hedgehog's games
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 08:14:58 pm »
I know I don't really have the right to claim anything, given my poor track records...

But once I'm done with Drill Dozer (GBA), I'm really hoping to pursue mapping Sonic 3D Blast.
Current project:
Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP)

Offline Hugbot

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 12:39:50 am »
@TerraEsperZ sorry to hear about your job burn out  :-[

Really looking forward to your Sonic 3D Blast maps! That was my favorite game!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 11:17:34 am »
Hey G.E.R., thanks for mapping Knuckles The Echidna In Sonic The Hedgehog 2, sometimes known as "Sonic & KnucklesSonic The Hedgehog 2".  You don't have it on your list above, though...

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 03:26:41 am »
The list has been updated.
One interesting fact that all events after STH-2006 (Sonic Colors, Boom, Forces and Mania, all cartoons and films) take place in an alternative time line.
As you know, Eggman and the princess was crushed on eggmans ship in STH-2006 and this events led to the Iblis release and appocalipte.
Sonic moved back in time 1 day and saves them, but Sonic's murder let to Solaris release - end of the world (a second timeline).
After this, Sonic with the princess moved back in time again and prevented the Solaris appearance (a third timeline).

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 07:32:04 am »
Uh, hi, G.E.R.. If you're not too busy or far away from your day-to-day routine, your list is due for updating again. Seen your recent map uploads, and I'm always happy to see more Sonic maps uploaded to the atlas.

I still hope you cover Sonic Rivals 1 & 2, because I'd like to see how they were made for the thrill of competition among rivals.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 11:04:47 am »
I have been playing in Riders & Riders ZG and it took a long time. (Only tutorial, to be more precise). At the same time I used free camera movement function in Dolphin emulator to exploring routes and capturing view-from-above screenshots for ripping the maps in future.
I think I will ripping Riders & ZG first but there are one problem - I was leaving town and I'll leave again for 2 weeks in 2 weeks. I do not have time to complete this projects now and it will take a lot of time on this work.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 11:35:19 am »
Ooh... OK. Hope you'll have time to do it when you get back.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 01:13:34 pm »
I thought that I've been ripped all 2D-platformer games (exclude Unleashed PS3) and forgot about Rivals.
Is these levels full 2D? Looks like 3DS Sonic Boom? Are these as wide?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 02:53:47 pm »
Sonic Rivals features 2.5D maps that loop around in 3D as this is mostly a racing game. The gameplay is 2D but each level features multiple paths going in their own direction in 3D, which would make mapping them a bit of a nightmare.

Making gameplay maps showing the various paths you can take would be hard to represent with a full 3D map but if you were to somehow "unroll" a map in order to flatten it and display in 2D, there are a lot of path connections that wouldn't make sense without a 3rd dimension.
I'm not sure I'm making myself clear but just take a look at a longplay on Youtube to see what I mean.
Current project:

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2024, 07:04:29 pm »
I don't think you've yet covered each 2D Sonic game yet, G.E.R., and, should more show up, well, they'll be waiting.

Sure, Sonic Rivals was a rather tough challenge, but I had good fun winning each stage by being first place ahead of my rival opponents. The one irritating annoyance was the rivals' rubber banding in its programming that made whoever was my rival catch up quite quick, no matter how fast I got.

I get your perspective, TerraEsperZ, but I still feel it'll be worth the effort in mapping them. It won't be no trouble for mappers like any of you to accomplish.

And, I've not seen any word of their length comparable to prior 2D Sonic games, or Sonic inspired games, such as Polyroll, Spark the Electric Jester, or even the Sonic 3-formulated indie game, Freedom Planet, whose maps are all still yet to be seen, so to speak.

They've gotta be done sooner or later, and people can't wait for it too long. I'm sure any of you can do it, if you're up for it that is, for I have confidence in you.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2024, 11:36:06 pm »
I get your perspective, TerraEsperZ, but I still feel it'll be worth the effort in mapping them.

Oh, definitely!

It won't be no trouble for mappers like any of you to accomplish.

That however, I'm not so sure about! It would be one heck of a challenge for sure, but over the last couple of years, we've seen a bunch of new mappers with 3D modeling experience do amazing work. So it's more likely to happen that I would have expected a decade ago, but it would still be quite the time investment.

Since I've been dabbling in PSP emulation for a project, I tried doing a quick rip of Sonic Rival's first map and I already ran into a number of problems I'm simply way too inexperienced to handle. Like, you can only capture part of a map at a given time so you'd need to merge multiple rips together. The geometry also seems to be somewhat squashed along one axis so you'd need to correct that. And that's without even mentioning animated objects, lighting effects, transparencies, etc.

*Definitely* a huge challenge!
Current project:

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2024, 02:12:03 am »
Since I've been dabbling in PSP emulation for a project, I tried doing a quick rip of Sonic Rival's first map and I already ran into a number of problems I'm simply way too inexperienced to handle. Like, you can only capture part of a map at a given time so you'd need to merge multiple rips together. The geometry also seems to be somewhat squashed along one axis so you'd need to correct that. And that's without even mentioning animated objects, lighting effects, transparencies, etc.

*Definitely* a huge challenge!

A different ballgame for you, I get it. Well, I'm sure with time and experience gaining, you'll get the hang of it. You're expected to run into some problems here and there, but I know you'll solve them.

Can't wait to see your progress on PSP maps real soon! Lots to see!

Offline G.E.R.

Sonic Rivals maps
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2024, 02:36:43 am »
So I watched videos about the games and this levels looks like Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal. I can captured game screens (10 screenshorts per second; one screenshot = 0.1 sec) and ripped the most even part of bricksers. All game objects (rings, items, enemies) will rip once and will place on map images manually.

I think that all levels is mappable on unrolled 2D-image like the wisp tower in Sonic Generations or the circular aquarium in Colors.

Offline Cyartog959

Re: Sonic Rivals maps
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2024, 04:18:34 am »
So I watched videos about the games and this levels looks like Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal. I can captured game screens (10 screenshorts per second; one screenshot = 0.1 sec) and ripped the most even part of bricksers. All game objects (rings, items, enemies) will rip once and will place on map images manually.

I think that all levels is mappable on unrolled 2D-image like the wisp tower in Sonic Generations or the circular aquarium in Colors.

A fond reminder, but the graphics between Shattered Crystal and Sonic Rivals are more different, in terms of each game's textures, and polygon counts to their models, upon looking at them close enough.

What I'm eager to see are the maps made in whole, rather than separate sections for specific fields in unrolled images sometimes, such as 2D only.

I'd even be amazed to see any new games made inspired by the rivalry competition from the likes of Sonic Rivals 1 & 2.

Oh, by the way, G.E.R., I took a look at your maps for Sonic Mania you posted, before Plus, that is, and I'm afraid you've got some size discrepancies to correct and a little updating to do... not that I want to overbook your schedule, which I don't.

I've seen them, and they're pretty much a bit zoomed out compared to the maps I've seen posted in Sonic Retro, and theirs are accurate and 1:1 pixel perfect.

I mean, your details are nice, but the sizes aren't right. Let's just say... they're more or less 1/2 the size of the latter's maps. And, there's pre and post Plus DLC maps of select Zones in Mania Mode in need of documenting. Thought I'd let you know.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 02:03:30 am by Cyartog959 »