Author Topic: Super C (NES)  (Read 36098 times)

Offline RT 55J

RE: Super C (NES)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 11:57:34 am »
Area 3 and Area 4 done.

On another note, I really need to start on that History report I have that's due on Monday. >.<

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 04:04:37 pm »
Man, you are burning through those maps.  They look good.

I have never actually played Super C, but for some reason it seems a little inferior to the original.  At least it looks that way to me.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 04:30:59 pm »
For some reason, I've always felt that way about this game too, despite the fact that it is technically superior. Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't have "Contra" in its title, or perhaps the face that first 3 stages are pretty flat.

Also, the reason I managed to make these maps so quickly is because I feel motivated. Now only if I could say that about my research project that's due on Monday. >.<

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline salahmander

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 10:23:24 am »
Wow, those maps are indeed impressive, im sure the last 4 r gonna be awesome, keep up the good work RT55J

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:54:14 pm »
Area 5 done.

I found the coloring cycling to be much easier to deal with when compared to Area 4.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 04:34:07 pm »
RT 55J Said:
Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't have "Contra" in its title...

If I'm remembering what the Contra 4 museum had to say about that, I believe "Contra" was left out of the name to avoid a reference to the Iran-Contra conflict or something (excuse my ignorance of history).  The original arcade game is still called "Super Contra", and considering the original Contra was such a hit, just about everyone would know what the stylized C stood for anyway...

Back in the NES days, before I became such a Nintendo fanboy, my meager game collection was actually not mostly Nintendo-developed games.  Though considering I hadn't heard of the arcade game Contra, and I didn't play it at a friend's or anything, I don't know what compelled us to buy the NES version...but I certainly don't regret it.  So comparing Contra and Super C, Contra certainly wins with nostalgia on its side, though I do remember a good time of playing Super C at my brother's friend's house, and they had what seemed like a really big TV at the time.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 10:32:48 pm »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 08:16:39 am »
You didn't just make up that name?  o_0

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 12:36:41 pm »
It is the official name according to the NES version's manual. NES-era Konami was known for its very facetious manuals.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 04:22:10 pm »
Interestingly enough, Konami also made Snake's Revenge in 1990 and its manual is just as bad.  It included puns, things not relating to the game, etc.    I have no clue what was going on with their manual writers at the time, but they obviously had a good time.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
Area 7 done.

Just one more to go.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 01:09:55 pm »
No, this project isn't dead:

Stage 8 WIP

Most of the stage is essentially done. I just need to deal with the game's frustrating diagonal scrolling and the annoying mouths. Most of the trouble with this stage involved a 1 pixel error that increased length the stage, which was pretty much like a needle in a haystack that turned out to be in plain sight. >_<

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 02:28:14 pm »
RT 55J Said:
No, this project isn't dead:

Stage 8 WIP

Most of the stage is essentially done. I just need to deal with the game's frustrating diagonal scrolling and the annoying mouths. Most of the trouble with this stage involved a 1 pixel error that increased length the stage, which was pretty much like a needle in a haystack that turned out to be in plain sight. >_<

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

He he, I remember that when I started mapping several years ago, I wouldn't zoom in when pasting screenshots and I used to make a ton of 1 pixel errors that were really frustrating to track down, especially since I was mapping a GBA game with tons of similar colors.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 04:15:04 pm »
Done.

If there are no complaints, I'll submit these maps.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline salahmander

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 05:15:37 pm »
Wow, i am very impressed with the last level map, its looking very promising