Author Topic: 2021/08: Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) - Lüt  (Read 8384 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2021/08: Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) - Lüt
« on: July 31, 2021, 08:59:50 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Lüt's Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) maps.

1000 years after the events of Lunar: Silver Star, an archaeologist named Hiro meets a mysterious woman named Lucia, who warns of an evil "Destroyer" named Zophar, who poses a threat to the world of Lunar.  Together, they travel to the holy city of Pentagulia to find the Goddess Althena and try to save the world.  A great Sega CD JRPG sequel ensues!

With a blue moon in August 2021, it seems fitting to honour this now, but at the same time, it also feels a little overdue.  Lüt submitted this massive map set last year and, at 790 maps, it is undoubtedly one of the largest map sets here on VGMaps.com.  It certainly is the most animated - 126 of these maps are animated .GIFs of areas with environmental motion, such as rippling water, flickering flames, or flowing lava.  The overworld maps are especially impressive to see with ocean waves.

It's always great to see a 16-bit RPG thoroughly mapped, yet it's not often for a Sega platform, and quite rare for any game to get animated maps!  Lüt sure shows this Lunar game lots of love, and we recognize that this month.

So to recognize the effort put into mapping - and animating - this beloved RPG, Lüt's Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for August 2021.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:43:55 am by JonLeung »

Offline Lüt

Re: 2021/08: Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) - Lüt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 02:35:31 pm »
Oh wow, this was a nice surprise. I thought Maps of the Month were typically for maps submitted within the latest month, so I honestly wasn't expecting this.

The write-up was really nice, and you picked probably the best image for the thumbnail. Also, I learned that we had a blue moon this month :o

Anyway, thanks for the feature, much appreciated!

EDIT: JonLeung here.  Just had to fix Lüt's name.  I guess the new forums didn't like the "ü".  Lüt, you might get an email asking you to reset your password, which happened when I fixed your username.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:47:13 am by JonLeung »