Author Topic: Update: Gilligan's Island (Dawn Wells passed away)  (Read 10567 times)

Offline KingKuros

Update: Gilligan's Island (Dawn Wells passed away)
« on: December 30, 2020, 05:33:05 pm »
It has been announced that Dawn Wells -  Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island has passed away. I have added her to the memorial in each of the Gilligan's Island maps. I'm having trouble logging into the Yahoo account so I'm uploading them here.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:35:02 pm by KingKuros »

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
Re: Update: Gilligan's Island (Dawn Wells passed away)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 08:18:19 am »
Aren't these going to be added to the site?

The game only has 4 chapters, so these maps are complete.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:58:15 am by ReyVGM »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 03:53:57 pm »
They have been added... been up since the day after these were posted here... or am I missing something here?
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#GilligansIsland
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:22:02 pm by JonLeung »

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 09:14:00 pm »
They have been added... been up since the day after these were posted here... or am I missing something here?
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#GilligansIsland

Ah, sorry. You're using the title screen name instead of Adventures of Gilligan's Island, that's why I couldn't find it in the letter A.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 08:38:30 am »
I always just use Ctrl+F and then use keywords, in this case, I would search for "Gilligan" because it's the most unique word.

I hate when I have to decide between in-game titles and box titles for listing on VGMaps.  In almost all cases I go with in-game titles.  There are exceptions like Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout (box) / Happy Birthday Bugs (in-game) and Gyromite (box) / Robot Gyro (in-game) that I feel are necessary, but they bother me because it's hard to be 100% consistent one way or the other.

From dealing with VGMaps, auditing ROM sets, sorting through my collection of digital box art, etc., it seems that I'm always working with game titles.  There are lots of issues about names.  For example, company names ("Disney's DuckTales"), in which I usually omit the company, same with creator names ("Sid Meier's Civilization", "Garry Kitchen's Battletank").  "Bram Stoker's Dracula" is a tricky one, I would prefer to call it just "Dracula" or "Dracula, Bram Stoker's", but it has been heavily promoted as "Bram Stoker's Dracula", I think that's how the movie is title on IMDb and such.  I know, it sounds bad to omit the creator, especially as I keep the name of sportspeople.  So it'd be "Andre Agassi Tennis", but "David Crane's Amazing Tennis" would just be "Amazing Tennis, David Crane's", or often just "Amazing Tennis", because I certainly don't say "Boy And His Blob: Trouble On Blobolonia, David Crane's A".  But then when the name messes up the order of the games, like "Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II" or "Ryne Sandberg Plays Bases Loaded 3", I might have to omit the name or move it after, because other Super Monaco GP and Bases Loaded don't have them.  This leads to a difficulty with "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" because it is so iconic, that you would want to look under "M", but the "Punch-Out!!" series exists without him.

I could go on, but that might be a good video idea, assuming I ever get caught up on all the books I want to review on my JonLeung1 YouTube channel.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:41:03 am by JonLeung »

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 02:54:56 am »
I hear you. I struggle with the same stuff, but I got some "rules" that I follow to avoid going crazy.

If the name is different in box/title screen, then I either pick the longer name or I merge them both. So Gilligan's Island becomes Adventures of Gilligan's Island, and Gyromite becomes Gyromite: Robot Gyro.

As for games with creator titles in front, I just go with what's most popular. I really dislike doing the whole comma thing, such as: Amazing Tennis, David Crane's.
I don't put Disney in front of any of the titles, otherwise the letter "D" would be filled with Disney entries.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 08:53:58 am »
Though you can't exclude Disney if the rest of the title doesn't stand on its own.  For example: Disney Infinity, Disney Universe, Disney Sing It, etc.  I guess there are always common sense exceptions.  Though there are trickier ones like Disney's Hide & Sneak...

Thankfully the box vs. in-game title is more of an issue in older generations, when the art/marketing department or whatever didn't seem to connect/collaborate with the actual in-game title designer.  I guess it's not surprising for the art to be different when the resolution of a game wasn't able to replicate a title as artistically as it could be when drawn by an actual artist for the box.  However, you'd think it wouldn't be hard to talk to at least be sure the game title is consistent...

Nowadays they just render the title for the game and use that same image for the box.  Or the other way is possible, I suppose.  Thankfully no problem with consistency on that front (though we still have all the other issues).

Another thing I don't like is when you're not sure if something is a tagline or a subtitle.  Why does the box for the NES version of Galaga say "Demons Of Death"?  That sounds more like a subtitle than a tagline, but who actually calls it "Galaga: Demons Of Death"?  "Faria: A World Of Mystery And Danger!" is really wordy, and I would have thought the "A World Of Mystery And Danger!" would be the tagline, except that it's right there on a ribbon in the title.  Argh.

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 08:29:23 pm »

Another thing I don't like is when you're not sure if something is a tagline or a subtitle.  Why does the box for the NES version of Galaga say "Demons Of Death"?  That sounds more like a subtitle than a tagline, but who actually calls it "Galaga: Demons Of Death"?  "Faria: A World Of Mystery And Danger!" is really wordy, and I would have thought the "A World Of Mystery And Danger!" would be the tagline, except that it's right there on a ribbon in the title.  Argh.

Haha, true.