Main Boards > VGMaps Social Board

VGMaps.com site issues - but now, a new host!

(1/3) > >>

JonLeung:
Hi everyone.  I know there have been a lot of issues with loading up some pages and most maps on the site since Friday.  I contacted the longtime host, GoDaddy, and talked (and waited on hold) for many, many hours over the course of the weekend and last night.  That's a lot of time considering it was very unproductive, including them repeatedly telling me "it's up" or "it's fixed" or "we can't replicate the error" when not just I, but many other users, insisted that maps weren't loading.  Finally, one technical support guy found a change in the system that I was not informed about beforehand.

The issue has (supposedly) been identified as to why the site isn't running as it should this month.  Even if I could complete the proposed fix, it would involve reuploading practically the whole site, so if I have to do that anyway, it might as well be to another host that would be less impersonal, so I am now exploring options that don't involve GoDaddy.

GoDaddy is, at worst, evil.  (The CEO being known for shooting elephants doesn't help.)
GoDaddy is, at the middle of the road, incompetent.
GoDaddy is, at best, just having bad luck and making a bunch of mistakes with my site and how they address my concerns.

But seeing as how they never apologized in the 22+ hours that I was on the chat and phone calls with them in the past few days, we can certainly rule out simple mistakes.  I might rant a bit more in this topic later if anyone wants to read the details of this ordeal, and as a reminder to anyone else not to deal with GoDaddy. EDIT: You can read about that here.

Look forward to a new VGMaps host soon.

EDIT: 2022-04-06: We are now on CloudSigma!  Thanks to Vince (AKA bustin98, and owner of Effective Web LLC for helping us get set up!  Everything should be faster now!

Marscaleb:
I had them pegged as being on the "evil" side of the spectrum ever since they were making commercials that were more about busty women losing their shirts with a tagline of "see more at..." than anything that even suggested what their company does.

I use A2 hosting, and while I don't host anything near as big or popular as this site, I haven't had any problems with them.
The biggest complaint I ever had was that their internal file structures are cap sensitive.
I've also heard good things about Bluehost.

Switch servers.  I haven't been able to get my map fix on, and that's terrible.  I was worried the site was going down.

DarkWolf:
I can't say I'm surprised. I work for a different large web solutions company, and although the part I work for doesn't deal with hosting, I certainly wouldn't recommend them to any of my friends or family based on my experiences. Personally I have been using Dreamhost and their shared hosting service for many years. There's been some downtime here and there, but mostly things just work and I've gotten decent response times the few times I've needed support.

--- Quote from: Marscaleb on April 06, 2022, 01:38:33 pm ---The biggest complaint I ever had was that their internal file structures are cap sensitive.

--- End quote ---

That's going to be the case on any Linux/Unix based web hosting, which will be a fair amount of them.

JonLeung:
Thanks to Vince (you know him here as bustin98), who has helped out with technical issues in the past, especially with the forums, we have migrated the site over to a CloudSigma server!  That only took a day...

I'm not sure at the moment if I should release the details of my angry rant about GoDaddy, but I am glad to be cutting ties with them, to be sure.  I would hope there won't be any more surprises, but there shouldn't be, with more control over this server.  And it seems to be running much faster now, too, isn't it?  So there is a silver lining to this almost-week-long ordeal.

Let us know if there are any problems, like anything missing.  I'm pretty confident that the maps successfully made the transfer, but I am all ears if you notice anything odd...

Everybody say thanks to bustin98!  Again!  Yaaaaay!

TerraEsperZ:
As always, bustin98 comes through with his technical prowess!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version