General Boards > Map Gab

Super Mario Bros 3: Incorrect map doesn't include secret path!

(1/3) > >>

jmo:
Very few people know about this secret in Super Mario Bros 3's Giant Land. At the coin that marks the halfway-point between level 3 and the first fortress of world 4 on the map, you can use a hammer to break the rock to your south and then you can skip the first fortress. The guy who made the map suggests that only one rock is breakable by tinting it red, but there should be two red rocks.

That's how big of a secret this shortcut is: pro's that have played the game for years don't even know about it! My mind was blown when I first found out about it!

JonLeung:

Ah, so it takes you down to that bonus thing.  I see.  Neat!

It's a really simple fix, but we should let KeyBlade999 know.  Had you brought it to his attention yet?

dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co:
I just confirmed this is true. The rock above the slot machine does indeed break.

My guess as to why this is such an obscure secret is that hammers are in very limited supply, and most people who get to world 4 with a hammer in their inventory are probably going to use it to get to the mushroom house. I always do.

Mike007:
It's not related, but that made me remember of another secret that I think not a lot of people know about. In the intro of Paper Mario when Mario is in Peach's Castle, there's a guard that prevent you from going into her bedroom. However, if you speak to him 5 times he'll actually let you through. There's nothing to gain out of this, but it's worth noting that it's the only time you can go in there while it's daytime. Unfortunately, the door to the balcony is locked. This room is notably missing from Peardian's map.

https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/N64/PaperMario-Prologue-PleaFromTheStars-PrincessPeach'sCastle(FirstVisit).png

jmo:

--- Quote from: dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co on July 10, 2022, 03:49:52 pm ---I just confirmed this is true. The rock above the slot machine does indeed break.

My guess as to why this is such an obscure secret is that hammers are in very limited supply, and most people who get to world 4 with a hammer in their inventory are probably going to use it to get to the mushroom house. I always do.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree and you won't get the locked gate opened for beating the fortress, so if you get a game over then you wasted your hammer and you have to do the first three stages again.

The only reason you'd pick the second rock over the one that blocks the mushroom house is if you were doing a Speedrun.

The thing is it's apparent that most people don't even realize that there's an alternative path there. Even though it's not a particularly helpful shortcut, it still totally blew my mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version