Main Boards > VGMaps Social Board

LEGO Mega Man

(1/1)

JonLeung:
After making the "real" LEGO Super Mario a couple months back, I wanted to make more.

So, here are my latest MOCs: LEGO Mega Man, in both standing and shooting poses!  (My brother built the shooting one.)

(As with many images on these forums, you can click on it for a closer look.)

G.E.R.:
It would be fun to "draw" any Megaman map by using LEGO bricks.
How many bricks will be need for it?

DarkWolf:
If you're doing 1 stud per pixel it's a lot. But more importantly, at that scale, do you have a warehouse to show it off in? Each LEGO stud is spaced 8mm apart, so a single NES screen would be roughly 2x2 meters (2 meters is over 6 ft for us heathens in the States).

JonLeung:

--- Quote from: G.E.R. on September 16, 2023, 03:50:47 am ---It would be fun to "draw" any Megaman map by using LEGO bricks.
How many bricks will be need for it?

--- End quote ---

So, for my designs, it is 434 pieces for Mega Man standing, and 475 for Mega Man shooting.

However, it could certainly be far fewer pieces, as I made with two layers of 1 x ? plates (with the layers perpendicular to each other), and one layer of 1 x 1 tiles.

The reason I designed them this way is so that I could get black 1 x ? plates in bulk and easily recreate anything with them, and then everything would be consistent.  But the piece count can certainly be reduced quite a lot of if you use plates of various sizes.  It will still be a lot of 1 x 1 tiles on top, though.  For the Super Mario one I made earlier, each brown tile was $0.79 EACH, so you may want to be sure you use the common colours whenever you can.  You could try with other sizes of tiles, but I have a feeling it wouldn't look as good as if they are all 1 x 1... though now that I type this, I'm realizing, they do rotate slightly in their spot though, so maybe if you scale both dimensions by 2, and then use 2 x 2 tiles, those tiles would stay in place and should look better - but then it'd be bigger.

--- Quote from: DarkWolf on September 20, 2023, 11:15:32 am ---If you're doing 1 stud per pixel it's a lot. But more importantly, at that scale, do you have a warehouse to show it off in? Each LEGO stud is spaced 8mm apart, so a single NES screen would be roughly 2x2 meters (2 meters is over 6 ft for us heathens in the States).

--- End quote ---

If you wanted to do larger sprites without the "two layers of plates" that I did (like if you don't care about having a square or rectangular background), or entire screens, then luckily, there are big LEGO pieces that are 16 x 16 studs, which are the perfect size for the common 16 x 16 pixel tiles that are used in some of our favourite consoles.  You can connect multiple ones with Technic pins.  It may be the simplest way to do sprite work, but I like the particular shapes that I am able to create with my plate-layering method.

A NES or Super NES screen, usually 256 x 224, would require 224 of the 16 x 16 blocks.  The LEGO World Map has 40 of them, so you would have to buy six of those to have enough (and you'd have 16 extras).  You'd also get a lot of round 1 x 1 tiles, which might be an interesting alternative to the square tiles.  It wouldn't have the "slight rotation" problem since they're all circles so you wouldn't notice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version