Author Topic: Freedom Planet (PC) maps?  (Read 16517 times)

Offline ItalianGamer97

Freedom Planet (PC) maps?
« on: November 15, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »
I just joined the forums and was wondering if anyone had maps of the levels from a PC game called Freedom Planet.

Offline Cyartog959

Re: Freedom Planet (PC) maps?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 05:42:28 pm »
Greatly sorry for reviving a very, very long-dormant post, but I'm still feeling curious about that game's maps' sizes, being that they designs are a bit in line with how Sonic 3 & Knuckles' levels were, but I still don't even feel if they were larger than them or weren't, nor the likes of Sonic Advance 2 nor Sonic's DS games up to Colors DS, which are still the longest and largest yet, prior to this game's creation.

I am rather impressed with how it was modeled after Sonic 3's way of handling Acts seamlessly in many ways, ranging from beating the minibosses in each Zone to outright swapping Act 1's map to Act 2 to continue without fading to the next, because, from the time it was formed, it was a former Sonic fangame before reconverting into an indie game of its own while still retaining key aspects from prior Sonic games.

And, of course, to make each stage thematically long before facing the main boss at the end, from what I've seen, they had more than one reasonably long map in one stage that goes from one to the next after reaching their exit point.

Granted, they were made in Multimedia Fusion 2 and because we had lesser RAM amounts to make 2D game maps, among other things, but, you know, at that time until we had larger amounts, they seemed reasonable, and the fact that hardly anyone knew how long they were.

Its been far long in this, but if someone could take time from their schedule, any available mapper to be precise, to do Freedom Planet's maps in full, well, it'd be a great help to the VGMaps community.

Given ItalianGamer97's present absence in here, I'd say nobody's yet done Freedom Planet's maps.

Who's willing to take this task up?

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 10:53:48 am »
are you meen vertical loops (like Sandropolis/Metropolis) or horizontal-looping sections (like egg-utopia)?

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 02:37:13 pm »
are you meen vertical loops (like Sandropolis/Metropolis) or horizontal-looping sections (like egg-utopia)?

Well, more or less, horizontal loops for some stages.

I pondered about their maps' sizes comparable to other prior 2D Sonic games, not counting 3D, but I leaned a bit closer to Sonic 3's or a bit the likes of Advance 2, Rush or Colors DS' sizes. I'm not sure if any reached the length of Sandopolis Zone's maps... either Act 1 or Act 2's.

Given how the game's levels were made in Multimedia Fusion 2, and the computer hardware we had at the time that had not many people making larger/longer 2D games' maps, and seeing how long the latter Sonic games' maps are, I'm kinda feeling Freedom Planet's maps are a bit in-between them... maybe. I've not even yet seen how complex their layouts many were.

I did count how many maps each main stage had, though.

For instance, Dragon Valley had 4 maps, which formerly had 3 during the game's dev years when it was once a Sonic fangame(bit of a story behind the change to being an indie game, not gonna tell that here), and Pangu Lagoon's maps are a total of 7, one more compared to some having about 6, Jade Creek being one of said stages having 6.

Final Dreadnought, in the end, well... it's got a whopping total of TEN MAPS, divided across 4 Rounds, even the Final Battle against the evil intergalactic warlord, Lord Arktivus Brevon, is included, though I'm still not sure about their sizes in that matter.

And, the sequel's maps, while apparently larger due to the larger tilesets made, I'm not sure about their overall size and length, despite all those stages being condensed into one large/long-ish map that eschews out how the previous game's stages handled their long stages thematically.

I really hope to see both games' maps in full sometime soon. Even if it also means raw maps.

Glad you're keeping in touch, though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 03:05:01 pm by Cyartog959 »

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 10:32:29 pm »
When I said I pondered about Freedom Planet's map sizes for stages compared to key past Sonic games, I meant leaning between the ranges about the 10,000s and about maybe 20,000s... but I'm still not quite sure yet.

Once the maps are uploaded and seen in the atlas by anyone willing, I'll have my curiosities settled.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 09:23:08 am »
A minor history about Dragon Valley, the game's first stage...

Upon comparing the once-private video about the stage being functionally complete at that particular time it was in development before the game became indie and its finished state, the stage formerly had 3 maps, the 2nd of which had Act 1's end and Act 2's beginning, which segues from the former to the latter as how Sonic 3 did with the Acts when each Zone's miniboss is beaten.

I was amazed that such a game as that continued that kind of formula Sonic 3 and & Knuckles made on its debut. Thought to myself, "Why can't more games follow the kind of formula like Sonic 3 did?".

The 1st map wasn't extended horizontally by about a few hundred or so, and not having one of Brevon's troops piloting a hijacked copter from Shuigang as its background story event trigger, apparently.

It also had an actual in-game introduction scene featuring Hunter Snake and Serpentine, the latter of which had his design almost final. Almost. Ending it immediately starts the stage and the gameplay. Shame it was presumably tossed out. Would've been kept in as the means of Serpentine siccing the Hunter Snake on anyone trying to follow him, just in case to make sure no one interferes his efforts.

The 3rd and formerly final map was the stage's end that held the major boss fight against the boss that held both the roles of miniboss and major boss, Hunter Snake, a bit more difficult that time. That was because the stage didn't had its 4th map with its boulder chase in it and the major boss moved there to the actual end before a demo was made.

And the first map's layout was modified slightly a couple times before launch, but the rest remains the same.

I presume the stage's maps from that video are present, likely deep in the archives. Would be nice to see them... or at the very least, have them recreated from the demo tilesets, before their overhaul.

Proof via video link(Dragon Valley beta video, formerly private, provided by RankoChan, re-uploaded and archived by Icedland, actual video uploaded on 12/4/2011) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_32k_5gWmc

Also, I did manage to find a link about the game's maps ripped from the game by a user on Reddit named "Snickerbockers", but I'm not sure how recent they are from then to today. Just in case they aren't, better to have them brought up from its recent version.

The link's here(link from said user that brought them is there, too) - https://www.reddit.com/r/freedomplanet/comments/53k0nb/looking_for_stage_map/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 09:31:03 am by Cyartog959 »

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 09:17:24 pm »
I don't want to be too impatient, but I've been waiting to see the game's maps in whole for long.

I'm just in thought of how long and/or large they seemed to be. Who's volunteering for this? I know plenty are busy with their own matters, but someone whose got enough time may be up to the task.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2024, 08:55:56 am »
I don't want to be too impatient, but I've been waiting to see the game's maps in whole for long.

I'm just in thought of how long and/or large they seemed to be. Who's volunteering for this? I know plenty are busy with their own matters, but someone whose got enough time may be up to the task.

When you say "who's volunteering for this?", that sounds like you're demanding volunteers, which wouldn't be quite voluntary, now, would it?

I appreciate your enthusiasm in these forums, Cyartog959, but one thing you do have to understand is that making maps is quite time-consuming thing, and takes lots of effort, so anytime someone is even able to make a map, they are likely to pursue maps they are personally interested in, first and foremost.

I mean, I have a whole request list, which I'm sure you've seen, as it's pinned to the top.  For the most part, I try to keep my requests reasonable.  (Or perhaps that should be in quotes, like "reasonable".)  Some I'm super-surprised that they still haven't been mapped yet, in terms of that they should be doable AND popular enough that you'd think somebody would have done them by now after all of these years (or even decades).  Like, the Super Star Wars games (Super NES)?  Any Pokémon game with Pokémon locations marked on all the Routes?  The Secret Of Monkey Island (PC)?  Undertale (PC)?  Really odd that there's little to nothing of those...

And yet, even so, however much I think I can justify them, it's still a little ridiculous how much I'm asking for.  In the second post of my requests thread, you can see some recurring names of mappers that HAVE fulfilled my requests.  You can see that mappers have certain platforms that they specialize in and/or like to map.  If they're mapping them specifically because I ask for them, that is nice, and I certainly appreciate it in the cases that they do, but, I doubt that's a major factor, as I really really really want to see many PC games mapped, and you can see how extremely few of my PC requests actually got mapped.

-Ultima VI: The False Prophet, I've mentioned so many times as one of my all-time favourites, and FlyingArmor had also mapped the Super NES version which is comparable, so that was interesting enough to consider.  And Zerker did the overworld map, yay!
-Odallus: The Dark Call was mapped by Danilo Dias - but that's a guy that literally worked on the game itself...
-The Island Of Dr. Brain was mapped by Will Mallia.

And... that's it.  That's literally all of my (many) PC game requests that are fulfilled.  Not to say these are nothing, in fact, the opposite, I'm quite praising them, because they did manage to be mapped.  Something about all those other PC game requests just don't appeal to people.  There are a lot of point-and-click adventure games (generally easy and usually visually interesting to map), and also several recent retro-style indie games, like the kind seen on digital stores of platforms like the Switch, like I recall you mentioning.  You want Switch games on my list, there's a bunch in the PC section already, which you'd think the PC would be easier to map from.

I don't want to turn this into a rant of "why don't they fulfill my requests" (I guess that's too late), but I think we have to remember that these are requests, not demands.  These are suggestions, not orders.  These are wishlisted items, not assignments.

I think it's fine to really want to see something mapped - obviously I do the same - but be aware you shouldn't be (figuratively and definitely not literally) holding your breath for requests to be fulfilled.  Maybe someone will, of course, we wouldn't be allowing for requests if there wasn't a remote possibility.

Please have some patience and temper your expectations...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 01:49:14 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 02:51:18 pm »

When you say "who's volunteering for this?", that sounds like you're demanding volunteers, which wouldn't be quite voluntary, now, would it?

I appreciate your enthusiasm in these forums, Cyartog959, but one thing you do have to understand is that making maps is quite time-consuming thing, and takes lots of effort, so anytime someone is even able to make a map, they are likely to pursue maps they are personally interested in, first and foremost.

I mean, I have a whole request list, which I'm sure you've seen, as it's pinned to the top.  For the most part, I try to keep my requests reasonable.  (Or perhaps that should be in quotes, like "reasonable".)  Some I'm super-surprised that they still haven't been mapped yet, in terms of that they should be doable AND popular enough that you'd think somebody would have done them by now after all of these years (or even decades).  Like, the Super Star Wars games (Super NES)?  Any Pokémon game with Pokémon locations marked on all the Routes?  The Secret Of Monkey Island (PC)?  Undertale (PC)?  Really odd that there's little to nothing of those...

And yet, even so, however much I think I can justify them, it's still a little ridiculous how much I'm asking for.  In the second post of my requests thread, you can see some recurring names of mappers that HAVE fulfilled my requests.  You can see that mappers have certain platforms that they specialize in and/or like to map.  If they're mapping them specifically because I ask for them, that is nice, and I certainly appreciate it in the cases that they do, but, I doubt that's a major factor, as I really really really want to see many PC games mapped, and you can see how extremely few of my PC requests actually got mapped.

-Ultima VI: The False Prophet, I've mentioned so many times as one of my all-time favourites, and FlyingArmor had also mapped the Super NES version which is comparable, so that was interesting enough to consider.  And Zerker did the overworld map, yay!
-Odallus: The Dark Call was mapped by Danilo Dias - but that's a guy that literally worked on the game itself...
-The Island Of Dr. Brain was mapped by Will Mallia.

And... that's it.  That's literally all of my (many) PC game requests that are fulfilled.  Not to say these are nothing, in fact, the opposite, I'm quite praising them, because they did manage to be mapped.  Something about all those other PC game requests just don't appeal to people.  There are a lot of point-and-click adventure games (generally easy and usually visually interesting to map), and also several recent retro-style indie games, like the kind seen on digital stores of platforms like the Switch, like I recall you mentioning.  You want Switch games on my list, there's a bunch in the PC section already, which you'd think the PC would be easier to map from.

I don't want to turn this into a rant of "why don't they fulfill my requests" (I guess that's too late), but I think we have to remember that these are requests, not demands.  These are suggestions, not orders.  These are wishlisted items, not assignments.

I think it's fine to really want to see something mapped - obviously I do the same - but be aware you shouldn't be (figuratively and definitely not literally) holding your breath for requests to be fulfilled.  Maybe someone will, of course, we wouldn't be allowing for requests if there wasn't a remote possibility.

Please have some patience and temper your expectations...

My apologies.

I understand the process takes time. It seemed to me like its a bit inactive about map uploading around the atlas... sometimes, not that I think it is. I didn't think I'd be demanding it, but I don't want to be.

I felt a bit worried about this. I thought the activity needed to be picked up a bit, but I don't want to be too demanding about it. I also understand others can get busy with their schedules sometimes, but, at least, we should  keep in touch now and then.

I'm still trying to think and seek what other games' maps are yet to be covered, though, because I thought I would provide the mappers something to do, as I'm very thrilled to see more maps up here... but I get bored about thinking of little inactivity around here.

I'll still try to find as much as I can, if it seems anyone doesn't have the time for it. And, I am still appreciative of your cause and the mappers', too.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 02:55:50 pm by Cyartog959 »