Author Topic: RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)  (Read 93820 times)

Offline marioman

RE: Sonic CD (Sega CD)
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2007, 12:29:13 am »
GREAT!  I am glad to see this project get back on track.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2007, 06:10:38 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest, Zone 2 (Present)*

Finally a new zone after a few months! This one was a bit harder since the leftmost part of the map loops vertically and strange things happen to the water level when going through thin walls in Debug Mode when it shouldn't be possible.

Also, said water level is constantly changing during the level depending on crossing certain points or, in one occasion, stepping on a floating platform. I tried to compromised as best as possible, using walls to separate dry and wet areas like I did for Zone 1.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2007, 09:15:10 pm »
It's funny, I was actually looking for the section of that level with the poles, but I couldn't find it.  Now I will have to play it again and use the map to navigate.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2007, 07:34:50 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest, Zone 2 (Past)*

Another murky map thanks to the overdetailed yet murky colors. This one was easy since the water level stays constant throughout the whole level.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2007, 05:13:23 pm »
Good news! All the Sonic CD maps are now full size and full quality, and pretty much final as long as I don't find any mistake in them. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, and new maps from now on will be the same way too, of course.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2007, 06:16:34 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest, Zone 2 (Bad Future)*

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2007, 05:36:48 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest, Zone 2 (Good Future)*

As you can see, the Good Future of Tidal Tempest has a pretty busy background with bright colors, so it's hard to separate the stage from it, doubly so underwater where everything's either green or blue.

Oh, and I re-uploaded Tidal Tempest, Zone 2 (Bad Future) since I forgot a couple of rings and some platforms.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2007, 10:14:32 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest, Zone 3 (Bad Future)*

In this level where you fight Robotnik, you first have to chase him around in a vertically-looping area until you've hit him a couple of times, after which he flies off to the right. You then reach an underwater area where you have to breath all the air bubble circling him while avoiding his shots until manage to hit him once (yes, only once!).

Anyway, I know the water level looks weird like this, being high in Robotnik's room and low right afterward for no reason, but there's simply no natural separation this time. You fight him underwater and right aftermoving right, the water drops imediately to the ground so it's impossible to see the last section underwater while playing anyway.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2007, 09:49:38 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest, Zone 3 (Good Future)*

And with this, I have two worlds completely mapped :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2007, 05:54:08 am »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Collision Chaos, Zone 1 (Bad Future)*

I'm finally going back and filling in the blanks, i.e. maps I had skipped when jumping ahead to Tidal Tempest. This one took quite a bit of manual editing because of those big light panels who have two colors constantly rotating that need to be 'harmonized'.

I've also re-uploaded the Past and Present versions after correcting a few omissions (missing rings in both cases). Since almost all the sprites like rings, monitors and platforms stay constant across all time periods, I open up all the maps of a particular zone I've done in Firefox and rapidly browse across all tabs, checking for anything that's missing in any one map. After that, I scroll an equal amount in each and repeat, nothing anything suspiscious. I then go in the game to check all those spots. Sometimes I notice rings I had missed in particular time period; at other time, I find something missing that *should* have been there but was probably forgotten by the programmers ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2007, 07:37:51 am »
Fairly good progress!  Is this going to be a TerraEsperZ project that actually gets completed?  o_0

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2007, 10:07:24 am »
Looks like it :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2008, 05:53:06 pm »
*First post updated with Sonic CD - Collision Chaos, Zone 1 (Good Future)*

YES!!! I'M BACK!!!

*ahem* Sorry, but it's been what, almost 6 months since I've worked on this? Well, in my defense, losing first a hard drive (along with two maps) and then a computer, in addition to the now classic problem of removing a background only to have it replaced by a color shared with the foreground, really put me off continuing this for a while.

Well, I feel about ready to continue this, mostly thanks to Maxim's latest Gens KMod modifications which now allow me to replace the background with a (100% sure to be) unique color. As you can see, I've already finished one map, with two others only missing the background (Collision Chaos Zone 3, Good and Bad Future) but I'll need to finish Zone 2, Good and Bad Future before I can finish them.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.

---

Current projects: Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45:27 am »
Awesome.  Glad to see this project progressing again.  Nice work.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2008, 07:23:14 am »
I probably mentioned it before, but I was such a Nintendo fanboy back in the day (what, like I'm still not? :P) that though I did play some Sonic games at a friend's house, I never did play them all, and I may not have finished the ones I did play.

Always looking to have more Sonic maps, I really noticed the lack of maps again recently.  When I was looking for what games were complete for the "Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Oldschool Emissary" front page feature link, the only complete Sonic game that I am aware of on this site so far is Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System version, not Genesis).